1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks im a n00b [smoothwall - ahh]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neuro, 2 Mar 2002.

1. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Just had a look at the ipcop website and essentially it is the same as smoothwall but less secure. It leaves port 1024 and above open by default...bit dangerous if you ask me...

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

If I'm correct I believe so does smoothwall, if you read on page 29 on the post installation guide pdf it states it there. It is possible this may have changed since the guide has been written. It is a trival thing to block these ports if needed too.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2002
  3. Fly

I suppose then if Smoothwall leaves these ports open they are pretty much the same thing. What advantages do you think ipcop has over smoothie?

4. herbs

Ongoing development will be free unlike the best bits of smoothwall you will have to pay for i.e home/corp versions.
    At the moment it is basically smoothwall but with faster adsl which you have to pay for in smoothwall (the main reason i used it). The patches seem to be released quicker too, and the developers attitude seems to be better than a certain person's in the smoothwall project. But only you can choose which is better for you.

5. Fly

I disagree about the ADSL side of it. My ADSL is just as fast as it was with direct connection to my USB port. Please elaborate on this, after all it is relaying packets, how can it be faster?

6. herbs

I and many other ppl (not all) using the usb adsl part of smoothwall were having poor upload speeds the max I ever got was 8kbps. The smoothwall ppl admitted there was a problem for some ppl (not all) and they released a fix but that didnt work for most ppl, so they released another but the problem is its only in the pay version. Whereas IPcop released there patch for free.

You can read it here.
    http://www.smoothwall.org/community/home/articles/dang/20011005.adslmyths.html

I have no intention of putting down smoothwall, I believe it is a good product but it wasn't as good for me as it is for you by the sounds of it. Where IPCop does work better in the upload part for me. Its down to personal preference, and I prefer IPcop.

7. Fly

cool, I think I'll have a go at IpCop as well...I like to try new things and I have loads of spare HDDs. Hey, I might even review them both and post it here. I'm not biased I just like the easy installation an config of smoothwall. Is IPcop just as easy? or will I have to get to know VI again???

8. herbs

The set up is nearly identical to smoothwall. It has both joe and vi as editors.

9. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

out of n00bie point of view, with little linux experience, which one would u say is easier to set up....without the problem os usb, cause i use netcards....

10. herbs

They are both the same to setup nearly, so take your pick.

11. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

I am about to set up a linux firewall/router, but am deciding on the software. I'm a linux newbie, but can learn :p BUT my main problem is i want another program running on the linux box - is this possible using ipcop or smoothwall - or any other linux router/firewalls (particularly floppy only ones) is this likely to be possible or not?

12. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

ill go for smoothwall for now cause i got that on cd...

Tags: