1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Installed Vista to a replacement HDD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dazbo666, 3 Apr 2012.

1. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

...so after various headaches, I managed to get Windows and some basic drivers installed, so at least I can run the PC in Safe Mode (like it is right now)...

I think there's still an issue with some drivers, because the hardware appears to run normally, but the system still freezes within minutes of loading up in "Normal" mode.

Is there a diagnostic, or an update I can do (preferably still in Safe Mode) to find out which file(s) are missing or corrupted??
    For the record, the system spec states that Vista is still only running Service Pack 1, and although I have a backup of SP2, I'm unable to install it while still in Safe Mode

Screenshot of system Properties, if this helps.:thumb:

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Start Menu -> Computer (right click) -> Manage -> Device manager down the left hand side.

That will tell you what drivers are missing for which bit of hardware. Hope that helps :)

3. Dazbo666

I checked thru as many of the options as I could, and clicked on as many updates as available, but the system states that drivers are up to date.
    However, certain options are apparently not available in Safe Mode:eyebrow:

4. noizdaemon666

What was wrong with the PC in the first place? What warranted swapping hard drives?

5. Dazbo666

A 160Gb C:drive was struggling to cope with my sons love for FPS shooter games

6. noizdaemon666

What sort of laptop is it? Did you get the drivers from the manufacturer website?

7. Dazbo666

Its a desktop PC that I built/upgraded myself over the last 3-4 years+

8. noizdaemon666

I have no idea why I assumed it was a laptop :duh: lol

Still, did you get drivers from all the manufacturer sites?

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's not Vista issue. it's a hardware or driver issue.
    If you try to install a program like firfox and run it, does it happen that sometimes it says that it's corrupted or "invalid Win32 appliation"? Well I don't think you can test that...

I had a VERY similar issue as you with my nForce 4 with Vista beta (well I didn't try with the Vista official, nor Windows 7 on it, as I apply the "fix" every time since).

Basically, the SATA controllers didn't like Windows default SATA drivers. So I had to install them. BUT here is the kicker... installing NOW is too late as your Windows is all corrupted at the install stage. Here is what I did to fix my problem, At the section where you pick which partition you want to install Windows on. Expend the menu at the bottom, to reveal the options to install drivers. Insert a disk or USB key (2.0, not 3.0! Vista and Win7 don't support USB 3.0 natively) with your SATA controller extracted files in there. If you can't prepare this, insert the motherboard drivers disk, and use that (they should be inside).

Once loaded by Windows setup, now format the drive by clicking on the format button, delete the partition (just in case), and recreate it (all on the same screen). This step is to make sure that everything is done properly with the SATA drivers now installed (next time, you can skip this step, just format and go). Once done install Vista.

10. Dazbo666

Thanks for the re-install advice GoodBytes - I didn't have the corruption or error message(s)...I'm hoping it doesn't come to another reinstall, but at least I can prepare for it...

I managed to get AVG PC Tuneup to scan the system, and the only error (apart from Registry issues) that shows up is a "6to4 adaptor" error.
    I've followed some instructions on the technet.microsoft forum, and it seems to have resolved that problem. So I guess my next step is to test the system again by restarting in Normal mode

Last edited: 3 Apr 2012