1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel 45nm technology overview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Jan 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Intel hasn't really given any information on that, but as far as I am aware, the desktop version of the chip will use LGA775.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So it'll be possible to upgrade (with BIOS update of course) from Core 2 Duo? Nice nice. :)

3. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Does anyone else find it frankly odd that Intel push more advanced manufacturing techniques and technologies but still seem to heavily implement the out-dated and frankly very poor FSB?

Can you imagine an Intel Penryn with each dye communicting directly, on chip memory controller and HyperTransport?

CPU wet-dream IMO.

4. randosome

randosome Banned

It does seem odd that Intel STILL don't have an integrated memory controller, AMD has had it for like 2 years now ?

on the level 2 cache front, isn't level 2 cache very very expensive ? so wouldn't it make more sense to get an integrated memory controller and cut that cache down to size
    It also seems odd to obsess so much about Moore's law, i mean, sure its a good guideline, but don't try and run your business via Moore's law

IMO i would rather see better design (like a true quad core, integrated memory controller, lower power requirements etc) then just trying to keep up with Moore's law, no matter the cost

5. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

nope.. not mentioned.. thing is.. amd is aiming for 65n processors.. i do hope they sort their processors right and go back the race again.

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

this is mostly hype. All they have is a better insulator, although even with a PERFECT insulator we are aproching the point rapidly when the tunneling current will be excesive. Also the tunneling current been an exponential function sucesivly better insulators will result smaller and smaller posible die shrinks. incidently there is a maximum proccesing desnsity and storage for a given peice of matter but we are no where near that yet :) (intell is so screwed if we ever reach that)

7. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

Intel also make chipsets so prehaps its not in there benifit to go with a on board memory controller. Prehaps doing so would make it easier for competitors (like SIS, Nvidia and VIA) to make chipsets performing as well as/better than Intel's.

Just a guess but you never know

8. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

but the chipsets for amd are also well made arent they?

9. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

AMD doesn't make any chipsets. ATI does make chipsets though, and AMD bought them out, but AMD doesn't by itself make chipsets.

10. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

chipsets FOR amd i said.. and the part that is said "also well made" means that nvdia is doing a good job at making chipsets FOR AMD.

sorry if I confused you

11. Fiber4now

Fiber4now Don't feed the trolls

Trying to hype AMD when the subject of this thread is a new gate process simply amazes me since if the C2D was on the drawing boards as AMD finds itself with the K8L perhaps the guy that brought up this subject would have a point in speculating about the amount of transistors needed to create 2, 4, 6, or 8MBs of L2 cache but the C2D has been around now for 6 months and from all I have read at every comparable clock speed the C2D has a performance advantage and then when you add the E6700 and E6800 AMD has no reply for those.

Intel has shared L2 cache meaning that single threaded application benefit from one cores ability to use the L2 cache of the secondary core. then on top of that Intel uses their new memory disambiguation to allow loads in front of stores in main memory all this plus the extended front, execution core, and back end make the C2D a better performer. More L2 Cache makes the chances of a miss and the need to go to main memory slighter than a small L2 cache and a faster Memory interface that AMD possesses now.

There is nothing left to say, other than articles have come out about the K8L and it is a fact that it will be the K8L that will imulate the C2D, using all of the technology of the core while remaining with the onboard memory controller.

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

tbh its all speculative until K8L comes out. Hopefully the penryn socket will be 775 though so upgrading isn't an issue.

13. Fiber4now

Fiber4now Don't feed the trolls

I do not see why not since it seems that Intel is playing nice, nice ever since the market came to the realization that AMD was a force to be reckoned with.

As Tim said Intel is sticking with its wattage numbers for the Penryn and raising clock speeds so why would they need another socket other than if things change dramatically from now till then such as chipsets using PCI-Express 2 and manufactures want everyone to upgrade. Since Dell was a Intel house solely up to a few months ago I believe Dell had more to do with Intel continuously changing sockets than Intel themselves, Dell needs something new always to move market share.

14. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

maybe in a technological point of view changing sockets is a part of it, but at a business point of view it means more money.

15. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

A great video of some Intel devs talking about the 45 nanometer chips. LINK

16. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

nice video :D

-Morres law ends in seven years (1985)
    -Intel cant continue to shrink its chips to increase speed and computing power anymore (1995)
    -45 nm technology allows us to maintain moore's law (2005)

20 years after, moore's law is still there... I wonder how much longer that would last.

17. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

arrr man this look soo good i was eyeing my conroe system up look like i got more waiting to do !

18. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

That video is loooong. Very interesting.

Funny point, Intel can get 100,000,000 transistors working 100% of the time. In LCD technology, in just 2,000,000 errors occur... I know this is more a quirk of the technology, but the accuracy which some things can be done to..

Edit: That site is sticking some nasty viruses on my pc... 2 .exe's just apeared....

19. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

unrealhippie, Podtech web site is sending you viruses?

20. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

core2duo is good... but waiting for this will be even abigger step.. so hold on to those pennies... and upgrade once they release em new cores. And oh, just in time for r600 and the lower end and mid range dx10 cards from nvdia. What a happy year this is gonna be

Tags: Add Tags