1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel announces Atom processor family

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Mar 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

Damnit, they didn't take my advice on the name (< avatar)
    anyway, this does sound interesting and would kick as$ if you could fit these into an ultra-portable the size of a PSP. now if they can hook one of these up with nVidia's ultra-portable gpu and not make you pay out the as$ for them, then I'm getting at least one (even if I only have $20 spare a week)

3. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

bring on the next gen eee pc!!!

4. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

/confused

Ah, nope I get it now. I was thinking they'd branded the Nehalems "Atom". Nope, this is something totally different!

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

These are gonna be great for HTPCs and home servers! :)

Bring it on!!! :)

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

+1

7. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

"but also manages to maintain compatibility with the Core microarchitecture's instruction set to ensure consumers get a familiar experience to what they would get on their home computer."

-since when has a proccesor change effected my exsperiance other than speed, I don't think that at a consumer level people will be effected by the instructon set!

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

That's just their way of saying x86 compatible.

9. K20

K20 What's a Dremel?

Interesting; but I thought Americans used cents. More importantly how many Silverthorne dies can you fit in a British penny?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hopefully these will be used in mini-itx boards - but the Atom (silverthorne) will be equivalent to VIA's nano-BGA C7. Both do NOT feature out of order execution, so are significantly slower than you'd expect. Obviously the Intel chip runs at almost twice the speed and it has SMT, but it'll not equate to an ULV Core 2 CPU.

Just like inexpensive VIA machines that are being sold at Walmart, Intel will do the same thing. I'm ready to get info from all sorts of people on EeePC clones in the next few days featuring these processors.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Am I the only one that find the name pretty silly?

It really doesn't stand out in any way, and sounds a bit... childish.

What's next? "Biohazard"? :rolleyes:

12. K20

K20 What's a Dremel?

Arguably this is Intel's most logical naming choice since Core Solo and Core Duo. Atom = small, sounds reasonably accurate although unimaginative.

No Intel's amazing 45nm processors are good for the environment as they're halogen and lead free and contain less carbon (OK the carbon part isn't true but they'll put consume less electricity and as such less carbon compared to 65nm so why Intel didn't mention this in one of their marketing slides is beyond me:rolleyes:). After all the number one thing I look for in a processor is an assurance that an alchemist can't experiment with it, oh wait they mentioned that (repeatedly) :waah: I can't turn my processor into gold.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2008
  13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Sounds pretty cool

except the name :(

14. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

UP AND ATOM!

15. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

groan! :D

16. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

The chip really is aimed at a not-quite-a-full-blown-pc market that may exsist somewhere between a laptop and PDA. There are some pretty interesting concepts floating around out there, one of my favorites being the4 'bookmark' concept (though I can't find the !@#$ link, bookmark is far too common a word). There is still a question of usability though, what can I do to make use of the PC features?

Tags: Add Tags