1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel Conroe Performance Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 4 Jun 2006.

1. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I dont think you realise this but as it seems Conroe has a really huge leap in gaming.I've never seen before 60+ fps "upgrade".its like you have 6800Ultra and get EVGA CO 7900GT with Conroe.Its in my next upgrade list.

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Thats a point that I was about to bring up dainbrain (welcome to bit-tech :thumb: ). I wasnt expecting Conroe to have such weak multi-tasking performance in comparison to the Pentium D. Even more interesting to recall is that the Athlon 64 X2 is even better at mulitasking than the Pentium D by a significant margin. So the question becomes, in comparison, why does the Core 2 Conroe core suck so much at multitasking?

As for gaming, Conroe does indeed rock. Those performance quotes are staggeringly impressive. This is definitely the processor for a gamer, but ironically, not for the multitasking worker.

This lends itself to some interesting potential long-term utilization of AMD vs Intel processors. For Gaming PCs, Conroe will inevitably be king. But what about professional workstations? Basic office PCs? Or even a user who likes to play with image editing programs while listening to music and talking to a friends?

Things are going to be very weird, competitive, and by all means very, very interesting once AMD launches K8L; after all, AM2 is not meant to be the counter in and of itself to this upcoming piece of Intel kit. Once both sides are on 65nm processes, the playing field is going to level out quite a bit. Since AMD hasnt panicked or made anything close to a knee-jerk reaction, despite all the current comparisons made, I'd say theyve either matured quite a bit, or theyve both gotten smarter and have a good counter of some sort up their sleeves.

All you doom and gloom for AMDers should wait and see what AMD has with their next architecture rather than proclaiming AMD the loser and Intel the winner when we're comparing technologies that are three years apart architecturally.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm impressed.

Intel coping rather well in an area that since the introduction of Netburst they have sucked at. I think AMD had better have something good up their sleeve, or they're gonna get a nasty shock.

Still, as much as I'd like one of these... can I really justify Conroe+new mobo+new RAM ?

Of course, once the 'final' silicon is available, if it's an overclocking monster with a good heatsink, I think I just might. :D

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i looked at the front page and saw "intel conroe performance preview" and was like OMG!! i must see this.

i have a little observation here:

[​IMG]

seen here

here you see 1280x960 benchmark with everyting exept soft shadows and AA and AF

and:

[​IMG]

seen here

here you have 1280x1024 benchmark with everyting exept soft shadows and AA and AF

in the first one the intel pentium XE 965 works at 63FPS and on the second one it works at 107FPS.

on the second core 2 duo E6700 works at 143FPS acording to the article it is about 35% i think it is more like 33,6% but lets consider 35%, if so if i insert the core 2 duo E670 into the first picture yu will have it working at about 85FPS :hip: and this is not their flagship cpu.

ME WANTS ONE!!!!!!!! :waah:

hum....i have noticed this now, at a bigger resolution the pentium XE 965 works faster 107 VS 63. very interesting :eyebrow: i blame the garden gnomes!!!!

intel can now point the finger at AMD and say....er....BOOM HEAD SHOT!!!! :p

edit: FORGOT, has the bit-tech crew any pics? what was the size and the material and the form of the cooler and waht temp was it running?

edit2: found the reason for the increase of FPS :wallbash: the grafics cards are diferent, BFGTech GeForce 7800 GT OC video card VS ATI Radeon X1900 CrossFire & Radeon X1900XTX running together in CrossFire;

Last edited: 4 Jun 2006
  5. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I must say I agree with rotosequence: This is far from over. Quite the opposite actually, it's just beggining! After all AMD have only launched a new socket, it remains to be seen what their plans are for the microarchitecture to go with it.

-ed out

6. Lo Pan

Lo Pan New Member

Intergrated northbridge, perhaps? oh god......I would love to see the performance on THAT. AMD has always been a follower of the efficiency>speed crowd so they have experiences at de-wasting CPUs. AMD can and will win this. Notice how they're calmly waiting, no announcements. I'll bet they're waiting until Intel Conroe's are just about to hit the shelves to release their new architecture.

7. MrABC

MrABC New Member

I think multi-tasking on conroe is acceptable. The problem with compression/encryption, etc. (and the inverse) is that it is beneficial to have lots of cache. From what I can gather not only is the L2 cache shared, the amount of cache changes dynamically depending on the loads on the cores. Not only that, communication between the cores are through this L2 cache.
    I think what's happening here is that both cores are using the L2 cache constantly with different loads between them so the cache size changes, (plus inter-core communication) which might make it a tad slower.

AMD are going to make a platform for the high-end gamer/enthusiast called 4x4. Basically, 2 sockets, 2 dual core processors. Unbuffered memory. (gettit? 4x4?) Tasty? WELL, AMD are also going to licence out their coherent hyper-transport technology. Which means, in a nutshell, that any processor that is made to take advantage of coherent HT, means that it will be able to be put into an AM2 socket (or an expansion socket) and use system resources like your AMD cpu. Like a co-processor. Now think back to the 4x4 platform above.
    IMAGINE, you have 1 dual core processor, 1 physics co-processor. OR, 1 dual core processor, 1 GPU co-processor. If AMD puts more sockets in, like 3 sockets, 1 for CPU, 1 for GPU, 1 for PPU...I can only think of the madness that it will do to games.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

It should work in any 975X motherboard made after April 2006 with nothing more than a BIOS update. There are some minor hardware modifications required to existing designs - I *think* the P5WD2-E Premium will work. There is nForce 590 SLI to come for Conroe, too.

The water is a little murky at the moment.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Lets not forget Woodcrest - quad core, and shipping this month. It's the replacement to Intel's Xeon and is based on the Core architecture - I would expect the multi-threading to be a little better.

10. automagsrock

automagsrock New Member

In essence, every mobo already has "sockets" for add-in processors. PCI slots already allow this, but if I understand what you are implying (and I prolly don't) is that you would have actual sockets (like 939 for the processor) that everything attaches to the mobo by. If that is what you are hinting at you sir are creating madness. Madness that I would like to see as well. Damn that'd be a screamingly-fast system...

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Oh dear... I can see my FX60 quaking in it's little boots already. I think this is going to cost me dearly isn't it? :hehe:

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think there's a need to do some gameplay evaluations between Conroe and Athlon 64 FX-62, to see whether the extra grunt is worth anything at resolutions you're likely to play at on high end video cards. When we get one in our labs, I think it warrants some investigation. :)

13. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Great intro Bit-tech

Of recent the major bottleneck in running SLI & Crossfire has been the CPU, well now thats been sorted whats holding us back now.....DDR 2 speeds?

Reagrding Conroe motherboard support I found THESE the other day at Xtremesystems

and there is also THIS

14. Highland3r

Highland3r New Member

Shouldnt be that expensive, unless you go for an XE version as most of the chips are quite reasonably priced. Should be able to pick up a chip and mobo for ~ 300-310 GBP, then its a case of ram to suit... Not bad at all..

15. Endoxus

Endoxus New Member

The new MacPro (replacing the G5) is reported to run on these chips. (Also the new Xserver is running on woodcrest), would be very very nice to see a Dual CPU (ie 2x dual core = quad core) Mac running the conroe.

Cannot wait to see what jobs has created with these new processors, will be announced in early Aug

16. lepre

lepre Member

see here and here

:)

17. MrABC

MrABC New Member

Yes, basically you got the jist of it. Instead of the added extra cost of PCB/Memory of GPU/PPU cards - you just buy a GPU/PPU core and put it in the socket.
    More info for you guys at Ars Technica:
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060602-6977.html

You can make a slot like PCI slot, the only difference is that it uses coherent hyper-transport (instead of the bus interface).

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Thanx for the heads-up MrABC. As I said in the 4x4 thread, K8L + 4x4 would be mad. Oh, well, I'm of to sell one of my kidneys. Maybe a lung as well.

-ed out

19. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark New Member

its lookin good, tho the multitasking is a bit dissappointing, especially as I am a multitasking hore. Maybe the quad cores will improve this when they come.

I hope to be the first on my block with a conroe (so to speak). But I must have an Asus nforce 590sli... where is it?

20. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

[one kidney later]
    @Lazarus Dark: If I were you I wouldn't splash out on a core 2 before K8L comes out. At least then you can make an informed decision.

-ed out

Tags: Add Tags