1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel drops details of X99, 8 Core CPUs, Cheap OC Pentium, Devils Canyon at GDC 2014

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 20 Mar 2014.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well it differently has all the right ticks! ;)

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Theres software out there that supports 16 + cores Andy for the record. Coded for Intel and AMD multi CPU systems.

The fact very little of it is what id call consumer is the only real issue.

x99 8 core cpu will be anything but cheap £1000+ is my guess they have little reason to release it cheaper.

Cheap OC pentium is much more intresting.

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Does anyone know any more details about this K series Pentium? Any rumours?

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

5ghz dualie would be awesome :D

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Here are the price of current 8+ cores LGA2011 Xeons

Xeon E5-2640 v2 (8C/16T @ 2.0GHz): 850€
    Xeon E5-2650 v2 (8C/16T @ 2.6GHz): 1150€
    Xeon E5-2660 v2 (10C/20T @ 2.2GHz): 1450€
    Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8C/16T @ 3.4GHz): 2150€

So £1000 doesn't sounds too far from the will-be prices :D

6. jcrider

jcrider Minimodder

Aww.. don't rain on the parade.

7. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I'm not so sure tbh. I mean yeah, for a basic gaming rig it will be great. Newer games though want cores dude. The difference between Crysis 3 on my AMD over the Xeon (quad core) I had was staggering dude. Like, double min FPS.

I just have a feeling that gaming is going in a different direction now and it may be a bit late for a heavy clocking dual core CPU.

But then I could be forward thinking a little too much.. It's just that AMD are doing everything they can to get their stuff supported better and get the core support in.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yea, as long as it supported HT. A 4.5GHz+ dualie with HT (a supercharged I3) would make a cracking little gaming CPU.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

8 core CPU's will be the norm for gaming soon, especially when DirectX 12 is released. They didn't chuck 8 core CPU's in the new consoles for nothing. So expect games to utilise all those cores equally in the not so distance future. ;)

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

This too.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

People said similar stuff when quad core was coming out to this day it's still not technically correct as its game dependent. Crysis 3 likes a quad core at fast Mhz but its one of the only titles. Starcraft 2 is bearly duel threaded let alone 8.

If you remove the sims from the top 20 sales page in pc gaming there's only about 8 titles left. ( sad that is) Starcraft 2 diablo 3 and world of Warcraft are 3 of them. All 3 are duel core jobs unless using a lot of addon for wow. Battlefield 3 and 4 like 4 cores. Crysis 1 and crysis 3 are 2 others.

I'd imagine for strictly gaming purposes be ps5 and whatever they call the next Xbox before we see the true benefits above 4 intel cores for all game types.

Not like FPS is getting affected by lack of cores at 1080 which is the main standard in pc gaming according the last poll on steam.

8 core CPUs like 4k screens are along way ahead of the norm.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so all intel are doing is bringing out haswell-e on a new socket with no new feature set - disappointing :(

wheres sata express?

edit:

WOW is cpu limited and massively on dual core - blizz themselves have said the game uses 2/1 main thread , and 4 when needed so quad > dual for wow

D3 - whilst the game uses 2 cores - having more than that will see an increase as windows can use 1 of the rest leaving 2 for D3 to use;

SC2 uses 3 main threads now up from 2 and can run to 8 threads depending if its campaign or multiplayer = 4 v4 can be crippling on a pc (image zervgx4 and they all do zergling rush with 200+ zerglings.....)

Last edited: 22 Mar 2014
  13. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

This sounds good, but Intel and "cheap" don't really come together - does anyone have an idea of what might be offered? Are we talking cheaper and faster than the 4670k?

Was holding out for Broadwell, but now I'm intrigued...

14. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Pentium Anniversary edition cheap K-series CPU..... This is about to get interesting!

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's branded Pentium and based on the same Haswell tech as your own 4670K. I don't even know what it'll be exactly but you can make a pretty good guess.

First things first - The -E's have always been a generation behind desktop: Sandy-E/Ivy-E are no different, except for the fact they use soldered heatspreaders and don't have iGPUs. Yet this time you get DDR4! That's not new enough?? Bandwidth ++++

SATA Express - very personally speaking - the connector is utterly stupid: SATA IO royally ****ed up making something the size of IDE. Go M.2. It's smaller, more convenient and should offer similar capacities to 2.5" drives. Or, go full PCIE with LSI later this year to get ~2GB/s.

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Mar 2014
  16. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Sometimes things can be just fun instead of practical.

I am sure allot of us can figure out how threaded games and apps are!

5ghz and beyond would be super for a low end cpu :D

17. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

The most desirable upgrades are:
    -PCIe SSD
    -i7 without "graphic core" or a normally priced "E-series" proc.

I think that the SF3700 SSD controller is the only hope for a consumer PCIe SSD. Wonder at prices and when are we going to see it.

The Intel part is just nonsense; TIM issue is going to be resolved only with K denominated chips and that in autumn, so it makes more sense to wait for the 14nm parts.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Marvell have one too and I think we'll see more chip guys go PCIe as it's the basis for SATA Express/M.2 anyway. Just few options now, but everyone is limited by SATA bus.

The BIGGEST problem is NVMe support: software learning curve takes time.

19. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

When is the "Marvel" coming out? the SF3700 was at least showcased...
    This is the most thrilling upgrade to computers probably for the next 5 years...

NVMe? you mean drivers? :(

By the way, you saw the compact Apple "dust"bin PC; it's compact, excellent cooling... are Asus and Gigabyte planning to offer something beyond the old box PC format?

20. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

I was just set to go 4770k, should this stop me or would this be so much more expensive that it isn't worth waiting?