1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPad 2 Dual-Core CPU Rumoured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Jehla

Jehla Member

Oh, I did not know there was a difference in the panels <hugs 23" ultra sharp>. Aye I appreciate the monitor being bolted to the pc, and like to mention that when possible. They can also get pretty toasty. Still look vey pretty :p

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I love that the anti-fanboys are now backlashing against apple fanboys so much these days on the internet, they are more annoying than the die hard fanboys (But it's a tough call)

A retina style display on a tablet by apple? Surely that's great news for everyone, as where apple lead in this space others will follow - Android, Window etc.

More screen res is win win win in my book as long as it doesn't kill battery life by more than a few %.

leveller likes this.
  3. DiegoAAC

DiegoAAC New Member

My prediction: $ 259.00 nano display link adapter (yeah, you need another adapter to use the adapter)

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I saw an article on Macworld that purported rumors that iPad 2 cases had been seen in the wild that were the same size, only thinner and had holes for 2 cameras. YMMV

5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

+rep for common sense!

If Apple are going to develop tech for us from 2010 to 2020 then it makes sense to support any achievements they make - people don't need to buy the products - but the designs and achievements will filter down to other, cheaper, manufacturers and then everyone can get a slice and be happy.

added: cash stockpile now rumoured over $50billion ... that pays for a lot of R&D!

6. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

The new iPad will:
    - be slightly thinner (looks more so because corners will be more rounded)
    - have higher resolution display
    - have two cameras
    - have a slightly larger speaker
    - have an SD slot (yes, really) but no USB port
    - have a new CPU (dual core? I don't know)
    - will be slightly cheaper
    - have same battery life

On a related note, the iPhone 5 will have a different mobile band chipset, abandoning the Infineon one for a Qualcom. I suspect this is because the Infineon chipset is what caused the "grip of death" issue, not the antenna design (the Verison iPhone 4 handsets had a slight redesign in that area though, and the problem, such as it was, appears to have resolved itself. But I wouldn't be surprised if the redesign was cosmetic because the gap arrangement is now symmetrical, and there is a Qualcom mobile chipset inside as Verison operates on a different band). I think this is so because the Samsung Galaxy had the same "grip if death" issue and the same Infineon chipset.

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

How do you know this?

Also, interesting observation on the Qualcomm vs Infineon chipsets.

I am looking forward to the iPad 2. SD card and cameras will be nice. I would honestly not mind if they left everything else as it is now and just added more RAM.

8. pingu666

pingu666 New Member

that res is kinda insane, would be great to have that for a small eyefinity setup, if your in a cramped area like me :x

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm not so sure it's anything other than the antenna design. My HTC Desire has a WiFi blackspot at the top right (just where your index finger goes when holding it in landscape), and as far as I know almost all smartphones have this issue somewhere or another.

The Apple backlash was due to the way they handled the problem, not really the problem itself. All Apple need to do is tweak the design slightly and the issue will go away (or at least move to a new location). It seems a bit extreme to get a whole new chipset, unless there are other reasons too.

10. sausages

sausages New Member

I find it hard to give a **** when all you can play is stuff like Angry Birds. I like a lot of the little iGames but I wouldn't play them for more than half an hour a go. If they gave it flash support and iDos it would be a completely different story story though. I would want one bad.

p.s. No usb? Wtfsadface.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011
  11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Apple + rumours = always fail

12. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

The new iPad2 will have a micro-USB-port actually. Just like any other mobile device that wants to enter on the european market 2011 ongoing.
    The EU pushed micro-USB to be the new power-connector for all devices past 2010 to allow for a universal power-adapter, getting rid of all the proprietary ones. And Apple has allready annonced, that they'll follow this directive.

Reuters reported 2 years ago allready

13. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

so is that what the top little connector for? rumour sites are saying there is a little connector on the top of iPad 2, some say it's mini-DisplayPort, but i doubt it as Apple are currently pushing its airplay.

14. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Member

I'd rather it had a better display that you can actually use outdoors/ on the train when its sunny/ anywhere with harsh lighting. I'm considering not bothering with my iPad anymore and just getting a kindle for books, and will be on the lookout for a fusion netbook/small laptop.

The idea of a 5mp camera is silly, the iPad is not a sensible shape for taking photo's. As someone mentioned above, the iPad is a bit sluggish when browsing, but so's the iPhone and I believe it's an issue with the browser rendering speed.

After 2 iPhones and a iPad, I'm about ready to give up on apple, both my iPhones (3gs and iphone4) have has hardware and software issues and the iPad is next to useless for what i bought it for, which was an ebook reader with the odd web browsing ability, due to the screen.

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I'd love to see a pixelqi display on an ipad, but I doubt it seeing as apple tends to be a bit cautious on the uptake of new tech, so get yourself a kindle if you want a serious reading device. They're not that expensive these days.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

Not sure about that. This is because the iPad's connector functions as more than just a charger and USB port. It also handles audio, video and Firewire. There's 30 pins for a reason...

17. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

If there's one thing that Steve doesn't like, but would make the iOS products better is.... more buttons!

Not for day to day use mind, I'm happy my iphone only has three external controls (okay + the headphones).

For gaming! The platform so needs another input method other than touch. Touch is good 'n' all, but come on. A fire button - Is that too friggin difficult to understand the desire for. And nobody in their right mind games on a track pad, so come on Steve (Okay not Steve, he's off doing his best to keep himself alive)... so come on Jonathan, pull a fancy trick out of your sleeve and give us something new (and not just faster, lighter, higher res)

18. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I doubt it very much: http://www.onechargerforall.eu/en/faq.html#c_coverage

{quote from the official eu website}
    On the basis of the Micro-USB interface, the companies have agreed to develop a common specification in order to allow for full compatibility of chargers and mobile phones. These specifications have been translated in European standards.
    N.B. The agreement allows for the use of an adaptor.
    {/quote from the official eu website}

So what will apple do? In the EU they'll provide a dock to micro-usb adaptor and a micro-isb charger or combination there of.

Job done!

Would be nice if they also added micro-usb, but I don't see the need myself.

19. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Member

I don't get what all the fuss is about with Tablets (ipads, Tegra etc..).

They are oversized smartphones right? Or are they trimmed to the bone slow latpops? Or overbloated ipod touch wannabe's?

I hardly use any of the features on my phone, apart from using it to call people and the alarm is quite good when I work away :0) On the plane or waiting around I play on my PSP.

Ergonomics prevents me from spending more than an hour on these products - I guess the ideal one for me would be one that has a sliding (and possibly hinged) keyboard behind the screen, some sort of 'kinect' style technlogy built in (so I could use an invisible mouse) - it would need to run all my office software and be compatable with games I like to play.

But right now there is nothing it can do as well as or better than a laptop in terms of computational stuff, or a phone..... and in some of the areas I have worked in, if you had one these and just happened to be sat outside using it, enjoying the screen in direct sunlight or in near darkness, It would be seconds before someone mugged you and stole it.

... I just don't get it... and therefore... I am out!!

20. Jampotp

Jampotp dem spacers are well phat init blud

This has probably been said somewhere already... but if you can get by fine with 1680x1050 on a 20 inch, and 1980x1080 would be as good as you could see on a 20inch pretty much, what's the point of having such a massive resolution on a much smaller screen?
    Unless people are going to go round with iPads strapped round their heads like ski goggles so they can appreciate the high pixel density.
    Now, if i could borrow that screen, make it a few times bigger, and stick it on a stand on my desk (and burn out any "appple" logos, i would be more than satisfied

Tags: Add Tags