1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPod Touch or iPhone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TempGong, 13 Nov 2009.

1. TempGong

TempGong What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,
    it's this time of the year, the month that I start thinking what present should I buy myself. :rolleyes:
    Well, you get the idea, student, not too much money and so on. I have seen both the iPhone and the iPod Touch first hand and also I have used them for a while. iPhone is a good multimedia device with a lack of basic phone functions, like bluetooth and the locked OS (which I don't intend to jailbreak if it comes down to the iPhone.). Also, there's the camera which is both bad and good, its there but its low quality. On the other hand, iPod Touch is capable of the same stuff except the phone, I don't have problem not having a phone with me even if it sounds weird and most of the days pass on school where phones are not allowed.

I would go with the second choice, because it's cheaper and I already have a cheap phone, the only problem would be the grip of one and the other as well as the design. I totally hate the polished look on the iPod Touch even though I believe it fits on the other iPod series, although I found that with a case for the iPod Touch the sensation to the hand becomes good enough.

So, even I don't think iPhone is worth it for a student such as me maybe you think it would be a better choice. Also, if it comes down to iPod Touch how many gigs 8gig or 32gig. I intent to use it for iCal mostly and on the road movie watching, browsing, gaming machine.

So, hit me. :D

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Are you in the U.S? If so, and if you are looking more for a music player first, rather than a device to run software on the go, first: I suggest to have a look to the Zune HD. It provide better build quality, superior headphones and superior sound quality over the iPod Touch.

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

or get a sony walkman which is better sound quality, better headphones, and better battery life, and better quality screen

i recomend the x series it is awesome:rock:

4. TempGong

Well, as can be seen I am not the Microsoft guy and nor do I think highly of the software coming with the Zune HD. Also, I am not trying to find a music device if I wanted just that I would be happy with my iPod nano from 4 years ago. What I need is a multimedia device working on the road for videos, internet,iCal and the music... also it would be good to have third party apps.

GoodBytes: As I have been loorking on the forums for quite some times, I know your opinion about Microsoft products, I don't find praising a company from your own experience bad, but wheres the proof that sound quality and superior build quality is really there? Also what about the software coming with the device?

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

iPod touch is in reality much much cheaper than i iPhone so if you only want a multimedia device i'd get that.

6. TempGong

I tend to agree with that opinion, data plan is out of question for me, and I am leaning towards iPod Touch. The question know is is there a case that looks cool and functions as good as it looks as well?

7. GoodBytes

Zune HD does all that... and does HD video's, except iCal (is that a basic calculator or Excel?... 'cause it has a calulator) and currently software. The Zune HD is still very new, and will take time before the AppStore opens and more accessories. Right now, Microsoft seams in focusing in showing off the power of the Zune powered with Nvidia Tegra, by showing it's battery life, 3D and gaming compatibility with it's free games. Also, the Zune HD syncs with your XBox 360, and you pass down NetFlix movies to the device. (coming soon) among other features.

All that is the general points mentioned on reviews and a friend who have it (went to the U.S to get it, as it's not out here in Canada he has family in the state and going there is not uncommon for him). This is how I know about it.

I have the Zune 120, I was looking for MP3 player ONLY. And sound quality is superiority is noticeable, the sound quality is the same then on the Zune HD.

I don't praise the Zune because it's Microosft. I couldn't care less about the brand. I don't approve all Microosft software, like some fan. My list of Microosft crap is long.

My experience with Apple iPods are terrible - Ipod Shuffle first gen, iPod Nano first and second gen and iPod Video
    - Does not work at -10C outdoors (can't detected my finger/thumb) - works with the shuffle as it's just buttons, of course.
    - Life expectancy of about 1 year in Canada.
    - Due to temperature change between cold (outside) and hot (inside) from winter, the internal get rusted.
    - Circuit board is made on a sheet of plastic. bend it and bye bye iPod.
    - "Not covered under warranty" - Nothing is covered under warranty with Apple.. because I did not get AppleCare. This include having a screen turn white.

My Zune 120 works without issue under -40C... it's been over a year I have it, and it still works great. Sure the UI is not perfectly smoothly as it tried to be too fancy for it's CPU, and it's thicker than the iPod video but hey.. it works and lasts.

BTW, wireless sync to your computer is cool stuff.

Also, Sony's MP3 players walkman series is very good, I was told by reviewers and friends and family.

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

still would go for walkman over anything of which i know of. i just find that the walkman is better in every catagree compared to the ipod but i can't coment one the zune

9. GoodBytes

10. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

I have a 3GS and absolutely love it. However, if you can't afford the data plan ($30 a month is tough to swallow) I would just go for the iPod Touch.

Another option is the new Motorola Droid, which many have said is a good alternative to the iPhone.

11. TempGong

The points you make doesn't matter to me, as I live in Greece and the weather is quite stable. Although I am worried about the circuits quality. I didn't said, or intended to say that your word is not valid because you say Microsoft products are good, you're actually the only guy online that has some valid points and know how to support his opinion on such matter.

That goes to both you and GoodBytes. We own a shop selling such stuff, I have seen Sony's progress over time and believe its getting worse and worse, both the quality of the products so they can make cheaper products as well as customer service (that's only for Greece though.)

Yes, I was looking for Droid phones because I am against the latest Apple policies considering the app approval and also I support Open-Source. However, I am not sure yet if the market,of Droids, has matured as well as the OS. I would HTC Eris from Verizon without contract but the pricing is close to the iPhone.

Forgot to mention, even though I am in Greece. I'm going to USA for vacation on Christmas holidays and with the Euro biting the living crap of $ I don't find a reason why shouldn't I buy from there. :D

Cheers. The matter still goes on. ;)

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

If you are after a nice phone without too much money then the T-Mobile Pulse (if you can get it) is very good. A friend of mine has just got one and I am very impressed.

Seeing that it had a capacitative touch screen and was so much cheap than the iPhone and iPod Touch, whose screens I just cannot use reliably, I was worried that it would be really unresponsive. Actually, it was completely to the contrary and it is the first time I have used a capacitative touch screen and thought it to be superior to the resistive one on my Touch Diamond. If I didn't already have my phone then I would definitely be considering it.

If you are using it as a music player, it only has a 2.5mm headphone jack which is rather silly but they do give you an adaptor.

If you live in Greece and are buying an iPhone in the US, won't you have to jailbreak it to be able to use it on a Greek network? In which case you may as well get it from eBay or similar to save yourself some money and the bother!

edit:[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Nov 2009
  13. TempGong

Yes, thats the case. Although if it came down to the iPhone I would buy it from here because its really a hassle to make it work for Greek vendors.

14. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I have got the 3Gs and the ipod touch and if you arent looking for phone capabilities then why pay the (lets be honest) heavy premium? But the iPhone 3Gs does have bluetooth fyi.
    Whatever you end up buying, I am sure you will be quite content :)

15. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Bloody thing might as well not have. The amount of work it took to make that work the way I wanted it to...!

Anyhow I've got an iPhone 3G and I heartily recommend it to students just for the ease of set-up, the levels of integration you can achieve (into Uni IT systems etc) and the general feel-good factor. On the other hand it's friggin' expensive and not worth that unless you're really going to use most of the features on a regular basis. Which I do, with the exception of the camera because it's so bad I don't know why they bothered.

16. TempGong

Well, I don't think its worth it both the phone and the camera are quite basic for a cheap phone and iPod Touch can do everything else. However, what if we now say iPod Touch against Droid against Zune HD? What would be the verdict and why?

Also, I don't find iPhone handy for school because its prohibited as I mentioned above.

17. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I have an iTouch and as much as I never liked iPods or Apple hardware I love it! Have jailbroken it as there's some amazing apps I wanted to use that Apple won't allow, I've gotten used to iTunes and it's also a GPS for me, for the size of it and it does so much I recomened the iPhone to anyone after a cool gadget and phone

18. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Given that I'm happy with my Nokia E51 for phone purposes, and the fact that I'm only paying £10 a month for 800 mins / 800 texts and unlimited web access, it was the iPod Touch that got my vote.
    As for 8GB vs 32GB, if you want to watch movies, then the larger capacity version makes more sense. The 32 GB's processor is also more powerful, it is basically the same as the iPhone 3GSs, which could come in handy, for game playing.
    Budget for some new headphones, the white ones are ambrosia to muggers!, and their sound quality isn't amazing.

19. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Get the Droid. I've got an iPod Touch and I'm desperately waiting for the Droid (aka Milestone in Europe) to be released here, so it can replace both the iPod Touch AND the Nokia N82 I use for the camera and general phone things.

If the Droid had a better camera and a better flash, I'd probably be so excited I'd order one from America :eek:

20. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Bla bla bla "Droid does" Lets just wait and see ;)