1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Is it a good deal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Poulter, 12 Apr 2013.

1. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Yes its a good deal, I paid £230 for a u2311h (the 23" version) about a year ago.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea pretty good buy.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

i paid £230 for mine a couple of months ago... if i had the money i'd be buying another

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, that's a good deal. They've been going for between £210 and £225 in the last month or two, so £180 is good value.

What are Aria like to deal with these days? I recall some bad experiences in the past, but haven't used them for years myself. Anyone else like to comment?

6. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Awesome, thanks alot guys, will go place my order before they run out :p

7. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

And another thing quickly, they ok for gaming, i hear about ghosting but never seen it...

Teelzebub likes this.
  8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'd say it's a decent price, half tempted to sell my current U2311H and get one actually...

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

George, unless you are buying for the new warranty, I don't think you'll be particularly enthused by the difference in image quality. I was luck enough to see one of these next to my U2311H recently and I actually preferred the tones of the older model.

Still, a good buy at £180.

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

It's not for the image quality :p

More the size/aspect ratio.

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'd agree that if you need those pixels then it's a no-brainer. I just game on mine so less of an issue.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't really know U.K prices, but it looks like a good deal. And yes, it is Dell latest model in this range. And I have not heard any models coming up. If anything, it will probably be the same monitor with USB 3.0 hub instead of 2.0. I doubt you'll see DisplayPort Daisy Chaining support... but beside that.. is it really something to jump on? I don't think so. So hardly any worries.

13. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

it's ~$280 Canadian [that includes the 20% VAT/Sales Tax], Dell's RRP [as in how much it is from Dell themselves] is ~£325 [~$505 Canadian], most other Retailers sell them for around £200-220 [$310-$345] [the prices to have really dropped since i bought mine]

If you miss out on the Aria ones, Scan have them at £199*

*price correct at time of posting...

15. GoodBytes

The U2410 and the U2413 uses true 8-bit panel. While the U2412 uses a 6-bit panel with FRC (like TN panels) to emulate the missing colors that it can't produce.

Also, the U2410 and U2413 have more inputs (especially the U2410), features 1:1 pixel mapping, 12-bit color processors, and 10-bit Look Up Table. Comes with manufacture factory calibrated Adobe RGB and sRGB color profiles with report. While it's not the best calibration in the world (it's done quickly) it is miles better than nothing. They are both wide gamut monitor.
    The U2410 uses high-grade CFL back light for great whites and excellent base for all other colors. And the U2413 uses a more expensive back light technology, its new, called GB-LED. It's "perfect" green and "perfect" blue LED put very very close together with a layer for red phosphor on them to output a white light. This technology was made as a cheaper alternative to RGB-LED (yet still expensive), and provide the advantages of LED back light, without the down side of white LEDs which that the blue light it provides is very blue'ish. So your whites are cold blue, same for your grays, and you have a hint of blue on all colors.

The U2410 uses LG H-IPS panel
    The U2413 uses LG new AH-IPS panel, which features a new anti-glaring coating which is less aggressive but almost just as effective as the old one.

The U2413 replaces the U2410, so the U2410 has dropped in price as its phasing out.

Also, the U2410 and U2413 are both 16:10 aspect ratio... so 1920x1200. This aspect ratio is not as widely popular, because consumers don't get to see the "1080p HD" certification on it, and well it is more expensive as the panel is larger. Low demand, makes the panel also more expensive. And manufactures don't get to use the same machine that does TV's.

As the panel is larger on the height, it means that the panel is automatically slower, as the way the monitor draws pixels on the screen is 1 row at a time, from top to bottom. Hence, why you have the tearing effect when V-Sync is off, the tearing split line is horizontally not vertically. Anyway, because of this, faster panel and faster components needs to be used, which drives up more the price.

The advantage of 16:10 monitors, especially in the 24inch range, is that the extra height compensates for the task bars, menu bars in programs and tools bars, so you don't feel like you have only a tiny spot for your work.

16. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Ok that pretty much answered any questions i could have had about the monitors, Thanks :D I doubt i'll be needing those two for the simple games i'll be running, seems like they would be more useful for graphical design or where the colours being perfect are absolutely necessary. Cleared up alot though, thanks
    Poulter
    EDIT: My computer budget is only 1000, so spending 400 on a monitor is a bit extreme for me :p

17. GoodBytes

Yes, and No. Its not really for professionals. Its just for people that want to work/game mix environment (16:10), and want the really good colors... and of course, have the budget for. Or amateur graphics designer/photographer, that is starting seriously, and really doesn't have the fund for a professional grade monitor which cost a lot more.

18. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Oh, fair enough, that makes sense. How much would a professional grade monitor set someone back then? Tbh i've never even heard of them before

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

You are on the ball for the morning GoodBytes! I'm winding down at the moment and can't even see straight... lol

20. GoodBytes

I am no expert in the field, but perhaps you should stop spinning that sombrero. :)
    It might help... not sure, but might help. :D