1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iTunes 10.5

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TobyKing1982, 15 Oct 2011.

1. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

I am having trouble installing the latest version of iTunes, before anyone suggests dumping it please hear me out!

When I try to install it it keeps coming up with I don't have access to the key or something along those lines.

I have Windows 7 64-bit and I had trouble installing a previous version which I managed to get working by using the Windows Install Clean Up and removing everything Apple and then re-installing.

However this hasn't worked this time and I don't know what to do. I got it working on my 32bit laptop first time but it's much easier to use on my pc.

Any suggestions?

p.s rest of computer is in my signature! I think...

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This has nothing to do with 64-bit OS. Its just Apple not really caring about iTunes for PC's (I wonder why? /sarcasm)

Ok try this:
    1- Uninstall iTunes completly (if it is installed)
    2- Uninstall Bonjours and all Apple additional services, including (if you have it) Safari and QuickTime.
    3- Go to C:\Users\<account name>\AppData (hidden folder). You will see 3 folders: Roaming, Local, and Local Low, go in each one and get rid of anything Apple, including Bonjour (Apple communication service)
    4- Go to "C:\Users\<Account name>\AppData\Local\Temp", and delete all temp files (well the most you can).

4- Restart your system (just to be sure, in the case of anything that needs to continue to uninstall before the account loads back up)

The above steps is to ensure that we have no other trace or Apple software that can cause conflicts with newer version of iTunes.

5- Now to solve the problem: Start > type: regedit > Enter. On the left column, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\QuickTimePlayerLib.QuickTimePlayerApp\CLSID. Right-click on CLSID, and select Permissions. Now ensure that AdministroS have full right access to this folder, and just to be sure, add your account. To do this, click on Advanced, go to the Owner tab, check the box Replace owner on sub containers..., and click Other user and Group, and in the box, type in the box your account, and click OK. Now repeat the process for AdministratorS (Administrator with an S at the end, plural).
    Now Click OK, And now back to the Permissions tab of before, click on Add, and Add your account and Administrator if they are not there. If they are there already, select one of them, and check the boxes bellow to give them full right for each of them.

If the registry location does not exists, create them. Simply right click on the folder of within where a folder is missing, and right click on them and select New > Key.
    Registry folders are called "Keys", because the registry is actually a type of database. Provide simultaneous users access with no conflicts, eliminate redundancy, and provide extremal fast access to information.

Now, try the iTunes setup again.

If you don't have an i-product, I STRONGLY suggest to at least have a look at Microsoft Zune (http://www.zune.net/en-US/) software. It's a thousands of times better, and significantly faster, and you don't need 200 super computers to enjoy a smooth experience. They are others of course, but the Zune software is really easy to use, and is has all the features that you have in iTunes (well obviously, iTunes just copies Zune/Windows Media Player for every feature they both have, including social networking and Smart DJ (but unlike Apple Genius, Smart DJ, if you have the Zune Pass, you can listen to full music outside your library, all in full high quality audio, and does a better job).

And even if you have an i-product, have both!

Nexxo and chrisb2e9 like this.
  3. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

Thanks very much for your reply I will have a look and let you know. Unfortunately i have a iPod so really need to use the software, I am aware about the crap they send our way, didn't they complain about Flash because it was a closed system yet they find it difficult to support a 64bit system?

I will get back soon

4. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

Btw, I hate Apple, why can't their software match their sublime hardware and firmware!

5. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

And their sublime prices... :lol:

6. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It does match their "sublime" hardware if you use another Apple product to run the software!

MediaMonkey can sync iPods so that might be a good alternative if you keep getting issues with iTunes? You can get the Gold version for free which has some nice extra features and it will play more file types than iTunes.

7. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Media Monkey is far more flexible than iTunes, I would second this recommendation.

Synching and converting flac on the fly is a godsend.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Great response. :thumb:

And +1 on the Zune software. I don't have a Zune player, but I do have the software myself.