1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Jam Packed - InWin A1 Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 5 Feb 2020.

1. Mosquito

Mosquito Active Member

Hi,

I'm Mosquito, also known as Chris, and I have a problem. I haven't posted a case mod in like 2 years

I'm going to be working on an In-Win A1 case, and this is sort of two worklogs in one. First part is a simple mod, to watercool CPU + GPU in a custom loop with only a simple mod (and some GPU size restrictions).

After that, I am continuing to mod the case, to see how much I can fit in this little case :)

This video is the first step in that multi-step approach.

I put together this video on a simple mod for installing a custom watercooling loop with minimal modifications

First thing I did was some disassembly to get to the bottom of the case, and then used an old radiator template thing I had to mark some hole locations
    [​IMG]

And then drilled out those holes. Note, I forgot to tape the case first, so I ended up taping around the locations I marked for the most part, instead of taping and re-marking. Oops
    [​IMG]

All I had to do was drill 8 holes and it allowed me to mount the fans through the bottom of the case to the radiator

[​IMG]

This no longer uses the holes in the bottom plastic frame for mounting the fans. You also wouldn't want to anymore, since there is about a 3/16" (just under 5mm) gap between the fan and the plastic frame. No complaints here, as it helps get the fans a little further away

[​IMG]

Next up, a little test install. I'm using a fan/radiator mounting bracket for the pump/res combo

[​IMG]

It is worth noting, that fwith my setup I had to go with an SFX power supply. If you had a shorter/smaller/different reservoir arrangement, then you may be able to use the ATX power supply that comes with the case

[​IMG]

Next up I did some fiddling with the loop order and tubing runs, and installed my PSU

[​IMG]

I threw the PSU cover over it after installing everything (taped in place for now, which is why it's partially crooked in this picture)

[​IMG]

Overall, this was a pretty nice compact little build. I'm sure there are people crying out "WITH THAT SMALL OF A GPU YOU COULD HAVE USED A SMALLER CASE", which is true, however, I've also got a 240mm+120mm full custom loop in it :)

[​IMG]

I ran this system for a while, actually used it at an Age of Empires II LAN (An old college group still gets together once or twice a year to play the original version, not the HD or Definitive Editions released on Steam), and as my shop computer for a while.

Temps were pretty good, and the passively cooled PSU never gave me any trouble. Under typical browsing/music/video streaming duties the CPU would generally sit around 33-35c and the GPU around 31-32c. Doing some bench marks or stress-tests would obviously push things a little further. While running Furmark and CPUZ's stress tests simultaneously, I was seeing the CPU around 68-72c and GPU at around 56-60c.

Overall I was quite pleased with this setup, but... it's a little too pedestrian for me, so in the updates to come, I will be taking things a little further, possibly into the realm of pointless ridiculousness, if I can :)

Thanks for checking this one out

Last edited: 10 Feb 2020 at 13:59
  2. kim

kim hardware addict

:oldconfused:...video works fine, but I canot see any of the pictures yet

3. Mosquito

Mosquito Active Member

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You's gotta pay the protection money, Mos.
    Sweet little toaster you have there. :D For real torture you could've fit a longer res sideways.
    The PSUs run HOT. I set mine up to push the rigs exhaust through it... which made it hotter.

5. Mosquito

Mosquito Active Member

That's the annoying part, I did lol
    And the PSU in this particular setup is actually a passively cooled PSU. I was surprised that it actually worked out with no issues for me. I will be going with a different PSU for the rest of the project though, as I need a little more oomph :) I'll have to look in to other res options, I'm toying with the idea of creating my own

6. Cheapskate

Oops. You said it. Even worse, you said it to me. Now you have to. :D Or I will bug the sheeeeeeeeeiiiit out of you.

Jeff Hine likes this.
  7. MLyons

MLyons Half dev, Half doge. Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd recommend switching to lets encrypt. It's free and automatic if you have a fairly normal server setup

lowfat likes this.
  8. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Gauntlet well & truly thrown at your feet, @Mosquito ... trust me.

9. Mosquito

Mosquito Active Member

Haha, yes indeed... I have to do a little bit of tuning on the CNC first, but I'm definitely planning to at least give it a run this time, but I need to figure out a design first...

More or less what I did. I changed hosts, because my old one has gone downhill quite a bit. They didn't and wouldn't support Let's Encrypt, so I switched to a different host that does. Hopefully everything is working now...

10. Cheapskate

Yep, Fixed. Looking forward to that pointless ridiculousness.

Mosquito likes this.