1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Kitchen gap ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeStorm, 15 Nov 2023.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hi all,
    We're nearing the end of our new kitchen install which we're very happy with, however a couple of bits we'd not planned for.
    There's a small gap at the top of the cabinets that we thought we'd be ok with but I think we'd rather fill it to make the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling.
    Potentially just some cornice I think would do but just wanted to check to see if anyone had other ideas. The gap is about 3cm

The other is we've ended up with a bigger gap above the washing machine than we'd realised from raising the worktops slightly, and we wondered if there were drawer units or something we'd be able to get installed? The gap is a touch over 9cm.

Cheers

2. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

For the top gaps, how about a little mood lighting. Some of that cheap LED tape and a little frosted plexi to diffuse.

Big Elf, SuperHans123 and GeorgeStorm like this.
  3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

That.
    We had this as our undercabinet lighting, it was cheaper than proper kitchen lighting and was a blast during house / family parties, you can make it as cheap or classy as you like.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  4. GeorgeStorm

Did consider that but part of the issue is not being able to properly paint the ceiling above them/not being able to clean up there, will definitely suggest it though.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

For the top I'd suggest a bit of wooden moulding, B&Q might have something suitable. But first check that the gap is uniform throughout, a couple of mm deviation in a 30mm gap is well hidden, if you stuff a moulding or whatnot in there and one end has a 2mm gap and the other zero, it will look awful. This can be remedied but it's not that easy.

Above the washing machine I'd just blank off, unless you are desperate for a wee drawer.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, I prefer to go in the toilet but you do you I guess.

IanW, Shirty, CrapBag and 2 others like this.
  7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I wouldn't worry about the gap but if you want to fill it get the kitchen guys to do a plinth in the same material and fit it, the difficulty will likey be how flat and level the cabs are relative to the ceiling, things are never a straight as they look, so might not come out how you expect.

For the washer, get a proper one :p ;) Or put it on a platform, less bending over and makes it easier to empty the trap.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  8. GeorgeStorm

Yeah thinking a piece or cornice or just end panel, speaking to the fitter today to check the size etc.
    And the plan was to just blank it off, we just didn't realised how much room there'd be, the worktops ended up being raised more than we thought (not that my wife is complaining she's very happy!)

Yeah I'm not overly worried but my wife wants it blocked as otherwise she'll want to clean it which isn't that viable. Not sure what you mean, an integrated one? The dishwasher next to it is on 2 cutoffs of worktop to make it the right height, don't think we have enough spare of that although interesting idea about raising it and having a plinth vs the blank at the top, will mention it.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For both gaps I'd suggest getting another couple of lengths of kickboard from the supplier and cutting to size, is there a reason the worktop is so high? That's a very big increase over the standard height (assuming you've got a normal-size washer of course!)

The gap between the sink and worktop is also a bit concerning, either the top or the sink aren't flat, and that's a very big gap that'll need silicon'ing regularly (as it'll inevitably go tatty in a short amount of time)

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  10. GeorgeStorm

Yeah I think that's what we'll do, keep it simple.
    We wanted it another inch or two higher than normal due to finding the standard height uncomfortable to use for any length of time (food prep, washing up etc), and so we just had a 2x4 placed under the legs in theory raising it 1.5-2 inches but it has ended up a bit higher than I was expecting, but my wife is very happy so that's fine with me :D

I had noticed that, the fitter is in today to tighten things up/finalise things so I will mention it.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

They're probably the same as some friends of mine - both 6-footers so they asked for double height kickboards when they had their kitchen done.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  12. GeorgeStorm

Touch under but yeah that's the idea. I think it's exagerated slightly as the new floor is thinner than the previous as well which we hadn't taken into account (previous floor was floor on floor it seemed!)

IanW likes this.
  13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Don't do it - being so close to the ceiling it will highlight any unevenness, potentially across the whole ceiling, which there will be plenty of that you never even realised. A small/subtle bead of moulding on the ceiling as a "dam" of sorts will prevent this and just leave a distinct strip of light, but might look a bit odd here. Speaking from experience.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Ain't that the truth, standard height is just that 1 - 2 inches too low to be stood at working, fine for making a quick sarnie, but washing up or meal prep is a real pain in the lower back

IanW and GeorgeStorm like this.
  15. Krikkit

Ah fair enough, that does make sense, you've nearly got room to put a drawer in over the top of the washer which would be good

IanW and GeorgeStorm like this.
  16. GeorgeStorm

Don't do what, the led lighting or try to block it off?

Yeah washing up did it for me, since the sink is even lower than the worktop, although we have now got a dishwasher so hopefully will be less of an issue regardless but still think it'll be much nicer for when I do do it.

Yeah nearly I think is the phrase, it's wider than a unit as the washing machine is 600, and then there's some plumbing at the back from the tap that would also potentially interfere, so a blank is the move for now I think, can always try to change it later since it'll have to be at least a semi custom/bodged job!

17. Krikkit

A small drawer is pretty easy to knock up yourself as well, or a shelf and hinge the vanity panel with magnetic retention

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Drawers don't have to be squares or rectangles.
    [​IMG]

GeorgeStorm and Krikkit like this.
  19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The LED lighting bit, in that shadows will accentuate any slight unevenness in the ceiling

EDIT: and for more background - I thought the effect of having the strip around the edge of the ceiling would be really cool for my last cinema room renovation, to have a dim and even lighting whilst in movie mode. It was, but looked horrific because the ceiling I previously thought to be largely flat was absolutely not.

Since the damage was already done I added some moulding so that the light was just a strip and didn't spill across the whole ceiling - which was also a nice effect, but I changed tactics for the follow up.

The solution - https://imgur.com/tE8x6qJ (the lower moulting on the tray, and the upper strip almost interlocking with it)
    The effect - https://imgur.com/Oqeq7lR

Last edited: 16 Nov 2023
    Mojo and GeorgeStorm like this.
  20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Doesn't help that my missus is only 5' short tall so I'm stuck with it as it is, apparently her having to carry a hop up stool isn't a solution :wallbash:

GeorgeStorm likes this.