1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laing DDC310 making sounds, but not pushing any water

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Davedo99, 27 Aug 2023.

1. Davedo99

Davedo99 What's a Dremel?

Hello dear watercooling experts [​IMG],

I have searched the internet for a while now however I wasn’t able to find anything useful. Help is greatly appreciated!

I‘ve had this problem for the past 2 years. I was always able to fix it by opening the pump and sometimes cleaning it. I‘am not completely sure, however I think there are small white floating „plastic-pieces“ inside the water. Which is weird, because I have dark blue softtubes.

Furthermore if the pump starts, it normally works without any problem and great flowing rates. However sometimes it just randomly stops pumping. Knocking on the pump or opening the AGB (Alphacool Heatkiller) temporarily resolves that issue.

Also when opening the AGB, there is often a lot of pressure inside it. Is that normal?

I ALWAYS have this problem when the pc is turned off for more than a few days, and sometimes for even less than 12 hours.

The Build is about 4-5 years old, and never was really deep-cleaned.
    Do you think cleaning it with Chilit Bang green and orange is a good idea?

I have 2 pumps at home, both have the same issue.

PS: is there a way to upload Video to show you the sounds it produces?
    In the beginning the water was changed way to less, the past 2 years though, very often.
    Also the pc isn’t used very often. Does that matter?
    If I clean the pump and it doesn’t even start pumping -> no way it clogs again, right? Can I rule out residues?
    When I now start my Computer, I feel a vibration at the pump and also hear some noise. It sounds as if it tries pumping, but can’t.

If photos are needed, I will upload them later. (I’m currently on my phone and the image files are too large :/ )

Thanks in advance for your help and time!
    David

If it helps: my hardware:
    CPU: Intel i9 7960X 16-Core 2,8 GHZ Wassergekühlt
    GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Wassergekühlt
    Netzteil: Enermax MaxTytan 80+ 800 Watt
    Mainboard: Asus WS X299 PRO/SE
    Speicher: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 128 GB (8x16 GB) DDR4 3000 MHZ
    SSD: Samsung 970 PRO SSD 1 TB NVMe M.2
    Lüfter: 3x Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM Lüfter
    Gehäuse: Bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Big Tower

Watercooling:
    Alphacool Eisblock XPX CPU-Kühler
    Alphacool NexXxos Ready ST30 Full Cooper 240 mm Radiator
    Alphacool NexXxos XT 45 Full Copper 280 mm Radiator
    Heatkiller Tube 200 DDC Ausgleichsbehälter + Alphacool Laing DDC 310 Pumpe
    Alphacool NexXxos GPX - AMD RX Vega M05 Backplate

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It's possible the pump bearing is worn, hence the vibration and noise. When you've opened the pump have you removed the impeller to check the bearing. The white plastic might be from inside the impeller.

3. Davedo99

Thanks for your quick answer! I will definitely try that out. However, I have 2 ddc310 pumps at home. Both with the same issue.

I have uploaded a little video here, to show you how it looks and sounds (outside of the system).
    https://youtube.com/shorts/fbzpmaHh4wA?si=JdV6_mloXaxSF7hN

do you think I should buy a 3rd pump to test it out with a new one?

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Are you running that off of a motherboard fan connector?

5. Big Elf

You're not supposed to run the pumps dry. The impeller sits on top of a bearing that requires water for lubrication. It'll be noisy due to the bearing being dry. Not sure why it doesn't start unless the bearing has completely gone.

6. Davedo99

It sounds exactly the same when I try it within my system.

What do you mean by bearing, do I have to remove any screws to seeing that?

7. Big Elf

The impeller sits directly on top of the bearing so if you remove the impeller (it's magnetic) the bearing is on the 'prong' underneath. If the bearing has worn badly or even gone then you'll get the noise when it's in the system. The DDCs don't always have a long life especially when run at full speed. I've managed to get 12 years out of some of mine but they run 95% of the time at 20% speed.

It could be airlocks in the system that's caused the pump to run dry. As mentioned by Cheapskate above you are running it off a Molex or SATA adapter rather than a fan connection?

Last edited: 28 Aug 2023
  8. Davedo99

No, it‘s running directly of the PSU (Enermax MaxTytan80+ 800W)

The connectors don’t seem to match.

Attached Files:

9. Big Elf

Do you mean there's only 2 wires? For power the pump only needs a 12V and Ground wire.

One thing I forgot to add in my post above when you refit the impeller be careful not to let the magnet 'drop' it back onto the bearing when you replace it.

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That sir, is a dead pump. Definitely not pining for the fjords.

11. Davedo99

Alright, I will
    Okay, however this is already my 3rd pump in 5 years. This isn’t normal, is it?

Also I Never switched any pumping-speed, so I guess it is on „normal“. However I‘m quite sure it always slowed down after a few seconds.

12. Davedo99

Thanks for the advice!
    The pump has 3 cables, 2 (bundled) plugged into the PSU. 1 connected to the „PUMP“ at the Mainboard.

Should I try starting it again, with different ports on the PSU?

Attached Files:

13. Davedo99

14. The_Crapman

They all alphacool? They've not got the best record with pumps dying prematurely. Get a proper Laing one, and I'd recommend getting a pwm one for better speed control. You can run the pump at a much lower speed without affecting temperatures by more than a degree C or so. Then there's less noise and you can tune it to a frequency that's more suited to your ear too.
    https://www.aquatuning.com/en/water.../ddc-pumps/pum-laing-ddc-pump-12v-ddc-4.2-pwm

I've linked one at aquatuning as they provide for most of Europe. Never run it dry, when filling you only need to turn the pump on for a sec to empty the reservoir before filling again. If you have a fill bottle you can try and keep the res full while the pump pushes it through the loop.

Your loop could probably do with a good clean too. The white bits of plastic sound like the bearing ball as shown in the diagram below, so definitely need those out. If you haven't changed the tubing in 5 years that could probably do with being replaced and give the blocks a clean. Give the entire loop a clean with some mayhems blitz part 2 once you've rebuilt it, following the flushing instructions that come with it. Any doubts you can always come back for more help :thumb:

[​IMG]

Big Elf likes this.
  15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

3 pumps in five years? Is your pump at a high point in your loop?

16. Davedo99

THANKS!!!

Is this pump compatible with my Alphacool Heatkiller and the rest of my system? Do I need the pump housing?

Attached Files:

17. Davedo99

No, it’s at the very bottom and directly behind my 240mm radiator

18. Davedo99

Also isn’t there an easy way to just power adjust the ddc310 series? (When googling I couldn’t find anything useful for the 310).

Do you think the „Laing DDC-1T plus PWM“ would survive longer?

19. The_Crapman

Yes all DDC pumps have the same basic dimensions and screw layout, so it will fit in your existing pump res.

You can adjust non-pwm pumps by adjusting the voltage through a fan controller, but with something that draws as much power as a pump it puts a lot of strain on whatever is adjusting that voltage. On my aquacomputer aquero fan controller for instance, they recommend putting a waterblock on the vrm of the controller for use with pumps. It's also not ideal for the pump itself.

The Laing DDC-1T plus PWM should last longer than the alphacool 310. It's also a lot more powerful. 600l/h and 4.7m head pressure Vs 200l/h and 2.3m.

20. Davedo99

Hello,

The new pump finally arrived and the cooling system is cleaned!

I‘m a little bit confused right now, how do I adjust the power usage (frequency) of the pump? I have bought the Laing DDC 1T with pwm.

Thank you for your great help!
    David

Edit: do I need to adjust it inside the bios? Do I need to connect them any different than the ddc310?

Attached Files: