1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpeedLegion, 30 Dec 2010.

1. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

OK after some recent annoyances with PC, and hopefully going to be spending some time abroad, I'm going to get a new laptop!

It will need to be relativity portable, 15" is the max I'm going with screen size, no bigger!
    Needs to run software like AutoCad, and some other engineering based packages.
    Would like it to be semi decent for games... not expecting PC performance but hey can always dream :)
    Ideally I don't want it to feel like a step down from the PC I use (spec in sig, though will be swapping the two 4890s soon for one 5870 or similar)

From what I have been looking at this is what I have in mind spec wise:
    i5 processor, the 2.53GHz or 2.4GHz ones
    4GB Ram
    Don't know anything about laptop graphics really but the GT 425M seems to be a good one...
    Screen rez higher is better obviously, seem to find it hard to find anything above 1366 x 768

And just for the sake of ease, built in webcam/mic, HDMI out and all the obvious stuff included

Known brands only, Oh and I know it shouldn't matter but I want it to look at least half nice!

Budget is around the 800 point...

Thanks

2. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have a suggestion.

- back lit keyboard
    - solid build
    - 1 screw full laptop size panel for full internal access
    - local warranty service
    - 3 year warranty with 3 year on site service (might be extra in your region but still great service to get as now you always have the laptop with you, and always fixed the next buisness day)
    - non-glossy outdoor view LED screen
    - long battery life
    - looks nice
    - 1440x900 screen resolution
    - smart location of ports
    - Display port and eSATA

The Dell Latitude E6410. The downside? The GPU is weaker than the 425M
    It's a Quadro NVS 3100M... or if you prefer in Geforce terms, Geforce 210M and 310M, with 512MB of memory.

So,
    > The screen resolution is not pathetic
    > Smaller in size
    > Better warranty and service
    > You can call to order with Dell Small Business (you don't need to be one, or just say family buisness), and you can get free upgrades AND a nice price reduction.
    > eSATA and Displayport (with VGA just in case you need it)
    > Backlit keyboard
    > Brighter screen, and non-glossy
    > The downside, a weaker GPU.

1440x900 is what I consider MINIMUM resolution to get for a 14inch laptop.. 15inch with 1366 x 768 OUCH. Text won't be really nice.

If you are patient, and I mean PATIENT, you may want to hold out for The E6420, which should have a newer, more power GPU, with sandy bridge CPU. If not, it's still a great system.
    http://www.dell.com/ca/business/p/latitude-e6410/pd

I have the Latitude E6400, the older version with the Core 2 Duo, and the Quadro NVS 160M.. of if you prefer Geforce 9300M BUT with 256MB of dedicated memory instead of shared, making it's real world performance, faster than the Geforce 9400M (I also overclock the c**p out of the GPU (for a laptop), and the laptop doesn't struggle in cooling the chip). It's a bit over 2 years old, and the system still looks like new. And that is me taking it to University full day, everyday except week-ends. So it's used. Solid system, 0 problems, 0 junk, I got superb set of free upgrade and price reduction, with my system configuration, I got 9 hours of battery life with the 9-cell. Expect less with the new laptop, as the Core i series is very power hungry in comparison to the latest generation Core 2 Duo.

No mater what you get, even a 6 000$ Alienware Quad Core CPU and SLI GPU, it won't beat your desktop, or even be the same. Despite using similar names as desktop counterparts (as it's based on the same product architecture), due to the focus in minimal power consumption, you get MUCH MUCH less performance.

If you have in your head "But WYZ laptop comes with XYZ speakers". It's crap. The sound will be piss poor at best. There is so much you can do with a earphone size, low magnetic speaker, with a low power crappy onboard sound card. Speakers should NEVER be a consideration for a laptop.

[edit] I notice that the ASUS you linked has USB 3.0. The E6410 doesn't have USB 3.0.
    But it does come with Latitude ON, which is form my understanding, a sub low-powered computer in your computer, that runs Linux, for increase battery life, essential get a possibility of "all day computing" as Dell calls it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latitude_ON
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y40Z1mvGOt8

Last edited: 30 Dec 2010
  4. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I'd agree with Goodbytes on the Dell E-series Latitude. I have a D-series, great computers, easy to fix if need be, great warranty available, lots of options available. I bought a Dell M4500, which shares parts with the E6X10 latitudes, great parts selection on ebay/the likes as well. The only downside is the graphics. But I'd say the ability to quickly swap out a hard drive/replace the keyboard/ram on it is a definite worthy plus. you could look at the M4500(also e6410) on ebay since Dell Business warranties are transferrable for their remaining amout of time in full effect. Also the Dell Outlet too, same outstanding warranty. I was in a similar boat as an architecture student, and my teacher runs a Dell Latitude E6400 I believe, so C2D processor, and it's his laptop for Revit, AutoCAD, CS5.

5. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

Thanks, looks like a great pc! but its a hell of a lot more, before VAT and shipping costs...£1,249 before VAT etc... even the lower spec was is £859!

I'm gona check out some shops today, see if there is anything good in the sales...
    doubtful!

You really seem to pay a premium for high resolution screens :S

6. GoodBytes

Yes, and for:
    - Better service (Dell Small Business service is not the same as Dell Home)
    - Junk free system (no trial/ads to reduce laptop cost)
    - Build quality (metal base, metal cover lid with thick paint coating so that you see metal after a minor scratches. Check out the hinges, for instant, it's a 1 metal block. Most laptop uses plastic).

So yes, it's more expensive. But again call to get a quote

I got 4GB of RAM upgrade for free, 9-cell battery upgrade free, larger screen resolution free, DVD burner upgrade free, Intel wireless N upgrade free, free shipping, bigger HDD upgrade for free. AND 350$ off. I was expecting to pay ~1800$ Canadian before taxes, with all these upgrades (assuming I got them) over 2000$ and I paid ~1600$ before taxes. I am not saying you can get the same thing... that was 2 years ago, and with the older model. But, it's just to show how Dell is flexible when you call to order and negotiate a bit. I believe they are more interested in sales numbers then profit.

7. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

If Goodbytes could get that kind of a discount, then I wish I had given it a whirl. But if that's not up your alley, here's some food for thought.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-LATITUDE...t=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item3f05f477c5

If that's not completely your cup of tea you do have 80 pounds ish upgrade room too.
    Just something to think about though.

Warranties are transferrable, extendable, and upgradeable, they are next business day even for the lowest one. I had a graphics failure(heatsink released, probably from being dropped)got in contact with them Sunday night at 11 PM, mobo+hsf was shipped monday, tues afternoon, working laptop.

We may be coming on a bit strong with the E series, but from my personal experience, seeing other peoples laptops and being someone people turn to for tech support, the Dell business ones are much more practical.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2010
  8. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

Brought a laptop today :)
    good deal on Samsung RF710 :) its lush but thanks for the help!

9. GoodBytes

But that's 17inch?!

10. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

I know :p but it was the only way to get the resolution I wanted at a nice price point!
    Had to be done :(
    Does make more sense in the end using it for autocad ad things... large screen is good!