1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop Morse Code

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arthur2Sheds, 7 Aug 2007.

1. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

We have an HP Compaq nc6320 laptop that beeps like a telegraph machine upon boot. If I understood Morse code I might have a message from aliens or something. If we leave it alone for about 30-60 seconds, it stops beeping and starts Windows like a good laptop should. There have been no other issues noted with this machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Count the number and length of beeps and then google for "BIOS beep codes". You should find some explanation as to what the beeps mean when you find a good site. I seem to remember that HP have a good on-line support section, that may have some details on the beep code you are experiencing.

Andy

3. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

I'll check out HP's online support section, but as for counting the beeps, there's far too many to count. When I said it sounded like Morse code, I wasn't exaggerating. Thanks!

Edit: I visited this HP support page regarding beeping error conditions on my specific model, and none of the solutions worked. I guess we'll just keep using it as normal until something fails. These machines have a 3 year warranty that we're not even 6 months into, so we'll be fine. Thanks!

Last edited: 7 Aug 2007
  4. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

I'd contact HP then and see if they can sort you out. They may want to listen to the beeps on the phone, so be ready for this.

Sorry I couldn't help further.

Andy

5. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Erm, just HOW old did you say it was? :D

6. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

About 150 years old.
    ;)

Thanks for the help, Shielder!

Edit: Doh! Reseating the RAM worked. Don't know why, since it wasn't loose, but it's fixed now. Thanks again.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2007