1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CandyMan, 5 May 2008.

1. CandyMan

CandyMan What's a Dremel?

Well i need some help guys. A lady at work is in the process of buying her daughter a new laptop for college. The computer is mostly going to be used for homework, dowloading music, & surfing the net. Her price range is $800-$900 so I want her to get the best possible deal for her money. She is going to buy a prebuilt pc so I i figured avadirect would be a great place to purchase one. So my dilema im not much into the laptops and dont know much on whats out there for them & what are the best parts for them also. So if you guys could give me some builds that would absolutely great.

Thanks

2. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

For the purposes she wants to use it for, she won't need much power, and I'd say as a student something portable would be nice, I personally went with a 13.3" screen size for mine as I want something easy to carry to class. Look for something with pretty basic specs and also a low weight and size so that she can carry it around to take notes with in class if she wants to. That's my personal advice anyway. With ram being cheap you may as well get 2GB if the laptop has Vista, as that will make things much more smooth, as would a dual-core processor.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This is the perfect choice!
    http://www.alienware.com/product_de...spx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51M17X&SubCode=SKU-GAME
    ;)

No seriously now, I must agree with Gravemind123, however I don't think a 13inch laptop will fit the budget, in any case worst come to worst a 14inch (14inch is like the limit, specially if she will bring to school everyday) would be fine, however not more.

2GB and an Intel Integrated Graphic 3100 (nothing fancy here) and dual core CPU, would be perfect for a Vista running machine, and to run today and tomorrow software. I say go with Vista as, yes it a heavier OS, however due to it's auto maintenance and optimization features and stuff like Super Fetch, she will never complain about her laptop slowing down over time and such. Also for the average user, Vista is more friendly than anything else, specially with its actually useful help documentation complete with diagrams on stuff like how to connect a printer/scanner/camera/memory stick, etc... And most virus today don't do anything under Vista, thanks to the overall of Vista core where THIS time viruses, spyware, malware, etc. was thought while programming the OS. I mean for sure it's for and never will be full proof, but it's a start and will reduce you headache specially that you will probably be asked when problems occurs.

Just some notes:
    1- A geforce 6150M is not enough for Vista, and it eats more battery life than anything. For once, I hate to say this, but Intel wins with the 3100
    2- Although Vista runs (I did not say smoothly) with 256MB of RAM, 2GB will be good to take complete advantages of SuperFetch and software. Specially with all the software that the laptop will come with, and that the graphic/sound card takes some RAM, 2Gb would be a fine choice, even if you go with XP.
    3- Don't spend money on Wireless N, for one it's still draft, and it could possibly be rendered useless when it gets to be a standard, also she, not even I myself will use the Wireless N speed.

4. CandyMan

CandyMan What's a Dremel?

Would avadirect be a good choice for her to purchase from or shoudl she go with another type of prebuilt?

5. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Have a look at the Dell Vostro 1310. There is one for $850 (don't know if that includes tax) with pretty good specs.

6. jazzman831

jazzman831 What's a Dremel?

It might be a good idea to take a look at computer fliers in the mail. Right about now they start to have some mega sales which beat etailer prices after MIR. I got my first lap top this way and it ended up being very cheap (~$800) but still powerful enough to handle any games I threw at it (which were, granted, not the most up-to-date games). The laptop I'm on right now I got for only $600 bucks and it, too, is plenty powerful enough for a college user, though once I updated to Vista the 1GB RAM is not quite enough with all the multitasking that I do.

As for screen size, mine is 12.2'' across, I believe, and light enough to carry to class (if I so wish) and big enough to watch movies on from across a small dorm room.

One advantage is to buying in store is you actually get to touch the thing! Your friend's daughter will probably be on it a lot, and it's good to know if the thing "feels" right, as you obviously can't just change out the keyboard if you don't like it! Then, even if you find a better deal online, you will know exactly what you are getting.

Hope this helps, even if it's not very spec-cific.