1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The annual joy of car insurance!

I can't complain too much, LV were so much cheaper than everyone else (40% less than the next cheapest) that I felt I had to quadruple check all of the details were correct. Like there's no fine print that says "box only". There wasn't. Bonus.
    As I was doing so I spent an extra few minutes cycling through legitimate job descriptions and found an extra £80 off. Double Bonus.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Does this, generally, really make that much difference to your pricing? I've never thought to question it. I can imagine that some job titles might carry a higher risk factor, but for your average office worker?

3. Mister_Tad

For mine, there was nothing in it, but then all of the ones which would legitimately describe me were all kind of the same - Consultant, Software Consultant, Technology Consultant, and so on.
    For my other half there was. For example, "Lecturer" was £80 more than "Researcher" (for a grand total of £1596 in the end, so 5% and nothing to sniff at)

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

....£1500? Is that on all three cars for both of you? I bloody well hope so.

5. Mister_Tad

Sounds like a lot in one chunk, but It's actually pretty good when you break it down.

Evora with one declared modification (air filter), SDP&C for both of us. 1 Year NCD but at this price they're definitely mirroring my NCD from the 7er - £641
    Polestar SDP&C for both and protected NCD - £353
    7er SDP&C for her and business use for me, protected NCD, £601

My starting point was a renewal quote just shy of £4000!

6. liratheal

Phew. £1500 for one car is almost as retarded as my first ever year of insurance. I was wondering how someone, and I don't mean to sound rude but I suspect you might be older than me, older, wiser, owner of more NCB, was paying that much for car insurance!

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My bike insurance makes me cry. Mostly the excess(es): £100 voluntary and an additional £550 for any Fire, Theft, or Accidental Damage claim :waah:.

Not much less than the £775 excess on my last policy, but I guess that's what happens when you have a write-off claim within three weeks of both getting your full license and buying the bike. Bennetts, who insured my 125 learner bike, wanted ~£1600 to insure my NC750X :jawdrop:.

8. Mister_Tad

Yeah... I drove before uni as a named driver on the parent's policies, so avoided that carnage, but even then my first own policy was around £1400 at 22 on a Citroen C2 VTS. Those were the days!

I'm 34 so over the worst of it. I'm sure it would be cheaper if I was in my 60s, but I can wait :lol:

I as a matter of principle jack my voluntary excess up as much as it will let me. Surely you're going to pay for a £500 claim 10 times over in the next few years.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's the worst part about my insurance costs: I'm thirty-bloody-five (thirty-bloody-six next week) and I still get charged a fortune :grin:. I suppose that's what I get for leaving it so damn late in life to get some sort of license :thumb:

10. liratheal

Insurance really is a string of daylight robberies. I'm just glad my Mondeo is £50 excess and £230 to insure.

I guess that's the lowest it'll ever be. Barely 30, though, so can't complain too much!

11. Mister_Tad

Mine stopped getting noticeably cheaper after 30, but I also maxed out what most insurers will apply as NCD at that point as well.
    My Mrs is an excellent asset as a named driver - A woman, a Dr and in education - apparently the trifecta when it comes to insurance premiums, even when she was on a provisional!

12. liratheal

Ha, alright for some! My girlfriend can't be named on my RS policy because she's not long moved here from Germany, and they won't insure anyone without three years UK driving experience, and she won't drive the Mondeo so there's no point!

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sorry didn't see this bit. It didn't seem to make much difference when I was shopping around TBH, mandatory excesses were all north of £500 anyway and setting anything higher than ~£100 as a voluntary excess really didn't make that much difference to the overall price. Paying off a £775 excess and ~£280 in remaining premiums was a hard pill to swallow when I had to make a claim in October and I've no desire to repeat that. Even with a big fat security chain, a disc lock on the front, a shackle lock on the rear, a CCTV camera, and a factory fitted immobiliser, there's still a relatively high risk with a bike when compared to an average family car.

Buddy of mine has been riding for over 15 years - plenty of NCD, no major claims - and his excess is still £650.

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's 2018, and only a mere six years since I decided that I was going to buy a sports car and take on a big build project with it. But a couple of weeks ago the stars finally aligned and this happened. I'm now the proud owner of a 1994 ST205 Celica GT-Four... A whole one this time. There's a story about that which I'll save for the project thread, which I now need to go and update for the first time in forever!

[​IMG]

PS: It's far from stock. Already. :D

Guest-23315 and Guest-16 like this.
  15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

This is my dream car!
    I need to get off my arse and get a standard 1.8 first and then look towards a GT-4

Unicorn likes this.
  16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Got something to huck around with up at the skate park!
    [​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

2X Teleconvertor for much zoom
    [​IMG]

18. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

A new rear tire on my car, picked up a screw somewhere and the garage couldn't plug it, totally annoyed by this becasue I've only had the car for 2 months and the tires only had 1,200 miles on them as they were all new when the car was.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Been a frustrating day. Wanted to buy a GPU upgrade whilst I have my rig apart, but prices are stupid. I did find a 1060 3gb for £239 but still it wasn't cheap enough to make me bite. Considered the 1050Ti, but it's not exactly a massive upgrade from the 950.

So I decided to just keep rocking the 950 and find a monitor suitable. I didn't want 1080p, as it struggles, so I went for the next step down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even comes with the DVI - Thunderbolt and mini DP converter. £60, grade A. Very happy with that, and it will stop mum moaning about it being hideous etc.

Byron C and B1GBUD like this.
  20. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Youcan't knock that for £60, a very tidy bargain indeed :D