News LED backlighting to dominate 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. dec

dec [blank space]

i havent knowingly seen any LED tv/laptops and compared them the CFL stuff but LED's are more efficient per $ than the CFL's and everyone wants their laptop to last 5 hours or so like the macbooks do without having to pay so much for a macbook. its seems natural that the competition would go for anything to increase battery life. theres even LED lightbulbs (which i do plan on buying) that look pretty cool

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I can't see the difference between my LED screen here on my laptop and the bogo-standardo screens at home.

Other than their thickness, but frankly, the laptop screen is no thinner than the MBP I had a while back, and that wasn't LED.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

yeah saves some money/electic bill if you let it burn on places that for example lighted all night. I had to tell my dad that buying a 34 euro Gu-12 ledlight for the toilet was a waste of money. I explained that it would probably take 145 years before you get even with the 34 euro.

5. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I wonder if Dell have any plans for a 24-27" LED backlit H-IPS screen?

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Nonono, the EU says normal tungsten bulbs are wastefull, forbade them, so of course CFL lights or LED lights MUST be better.
    If you light your toilet fot 20 min. a day of course you instant-on-philips-natural-energysaving-lamp will pay for itself...after 100 years. :D
    You don't want to be a thinking citizen, do you?

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Bang and Olufsen have been doing LED backlighting for a while afaik. Given the image quality of their tvs, that's a pretty good indicator of what everyone else should be doing.

8. ano

ano 8-bit Bandit

LED backlit TVs are out there and they produce a lot less heat and are much thinner (great for wall/chimney breast hanging where flush fitting is sought after). Also because of the nature of the LED producing a purer white than the CCFL alternative a more accurate and wider colour gamut can be achieved. Presumably the smaller screens would be edge-lit? And it's still not OLED =(

9. Jerz

Jerz What's a Dremel?

Perhaps it would be a good time to review some screens and put your thoughts down on LED vs. CCFL. Have compare quality and cost to see if it's worth buying an LED display in the next three months or so.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

not forgetting that ccfl bulbs contain mercury, are fragile, require an inverter to create very high voltages and dont last as long as LED's

11. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

LED's DO give a better gamut, using an LED lit laptop and love it, not the biggest screen I've had, but by far the best image (macbook pro)

12. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

We need dynamically lit LED backlit displays so that we can have affordable HDR displays finally.

13. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

My netbook's (nc10) led backlit and the screen quality looks the same as my 2 ccfl screens. I'm sure i read some where that when they start putting coloured leds in the displays, the picture quality will see a big improvement.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Bang and Olufsen use panasonic TVs. And in all honesty, if you cant tell the difference between LED backlight, or normal, then there's no point going for one. Samsung tv's are very thin, but are only edge lit, so not so good. Sony and sharp have full LED backlighting, and they look ok. Sony's OLED screen is very nice though, but that's a different story.

As for notebooks, the Acer screens are pretty nice, regardless if they are led or not. Macs too.

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I think the biggest advantage of LED is size. Just look how thin LED back lit panels are.

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Evidence needed for such an outrageous statement. (Yes, I am a minor B&O fanboy).

17. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

18. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Not to be an apologist or a fanboy but that is just the plasma :p

19. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Agree'd to that.
    Although it will reduce the laptop repair business by not having to change inverters anymore; it will reduce the fun I get from tossing a charged inverter at my co-workers for them to get a shock from.

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

It's almost unbelievable how thin they are

Tags: Add Tags