1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Linux has game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 9 Apr 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Great article and certainly decided it for me, this computer is becoming a Linux Gaming machine when I get my new one.
    Thanks for the clarification. One small question though, how long does it take for an average person to get something like WINE up and running? And then getting used to using it?

3. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Wonderful article.

I especially like the flight sim, though Glider forgot to mention it has a very realistic sailplane simulation (tow, etc.) which doesn't even exist in windows (Gliding in FSX is a joke)

Our gliding club over on this side of the pond is considering a simulator for some ground learning, and I'll have to recommend this over X-Plane, as well as saving the cost of Vista.

Happy Flying!

@ratchet - I only really heavily started using Linux last summer, and while the learning curve is a little steep, it is surprisingly familiar once you learn the differences in basic operations. the best thing to do is get a book on bash, it will save a lot of time trying to learn it from help.

4. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I do like Linux (though more the idea[/s] of it than actually using it...) but from reading that article, we're still a long way from Linux being the easy option for gaming. Especially if you have to pay £33 a month for Cedega. Perhaps this will appeal to the user who like Linux but plays the occasional game, but not for the average user/gamer.

5. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

i would really like to use linux but up to now have always had problems with my wireless network which has always put me off, i currently have opensuse on a drive (kde rules).

ubuntu seamed like the easiest distro to set up and use imo

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

nonono :) £3 per month! Not £33!!!

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Wine is mostly included in the distro's package manager, so 5 minutes tops? :)

Well, it is £3 / month, and £33 / year :) For those £3 you get all te required software to run Cedega forever, just not the updates (alltough Transgaming likes yearly subscriptions, they are a commercial company after all :))

Wireless is somewhat flacky at times, but more and more chipsets are getting support. Also, with ndiswrapper, you can often just use XP drivers for unsupported cards. And Fluxbox owns them all ;)

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

tux racer is another great game which runs on practically anything. I notice your running nvn under emulation, I was under the impresion that there is a native linux installer available for those who have the original game?

*flight gears graphics have come on a long way since I last looked at it :)
    http://tuxracer.sourceforge.net/index.html

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

only thing to be wary of for linux are the Pre-N type cards.

even with ndiswrapper, most 802.11n cards don't work (from my experience anyway)

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Kipman725, who says penguins can't fly? ;)

As mostly with new technologies, or ill implemented standards, the Linux community has to make a great effort to catch up. Texas Instrument chips are known for those (CF readers, Wireless chipsets,...) ill implemented standards. A good example are the cardreader chips, where you have to disable part of the chip to get it working correctly. And figuring those things out, by trial and error, takes a lot of time. If only companies would release correct datasheets...

11. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

For my purposes, Linux is still to a large extent a non-option, and this is due to the NTFS problem. All my disks are NTFS format, and I don't want to have to have multiple copies of things to allow me to work on them in both environments.

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Sorry to be the one to have to burst your bubble, but Linux has NTFS read/write support thanks to the guys over at ntfs-3g

You can even host your / (root, like the C drive in Windows) on a NTFS partition :D

13. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

There are a fair few good games out there, Just take an install of ubuntu or something and look under the games section for 'add applications' and i'm sure you'll find something you like. wine etc is still too much effort for the average gamer in my opinion.

What i'd like to know is whats being done for the future of games on linux. dx10 is comming and OpenGL has been a bit quiet as of late (please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). This could be bad news for open source gaming.

Gmaes companies should also start to consider Linux as free advertisement. I mean articles like this are bound to drop big name games that are easy to play/install on this platform. i.e. UT2004.

14. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

:D thanks Glider!

now all i need to do is work out how the hell to get Ubuntu to recognise my Asus wireless g dongle, and connect to my WPA network so i can actually get the damn box online!

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

The thing I always found was graphics drivers were a total pain to install specifically ATI's drivers.
    Oh yeah, and sound hardly ever worked and umm.. yeah, generally its a total pain to use for some of the more obscure games like PlanetSide.
    However I've not tried anything like this for at least 6 months. I still prefer to use Linux as a development/web server platform though rather than as a desktop machine.

16. Glider

Glider /dev/null

The same gamer that spends hours and hours on tweaking the last drop of performance out of its graphics card? Well, if wine is too much effort to use for those gamers, then they have an attitude problem. I checked, 2 commands are needed to install Wine in Ubuntu... How much effort does DX take in Windows? 15 clicks?

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/wine

OpenGL isn't dead, far from it. And in many ways OpenGL is superiour to DX (at least v9, not sure about 10). What DX10 brings for Linux? Well, Cedega is DX9 compatible, so it will just be a matter of time before it will catch up and become DX10 compatible.

Yeah, ATI support was pretty flacky 6 months ago, but now they are on par (or better at times) then nVidias. But TBH, nothing beats Intels support (IGP and the likes).
    OSS was shamefull at times ;) I admit that. But ALSA now has support for 95% of the hardware...
    Linux just owns the server market... But I for one cannot work efficiently on an XP station anymore. Linux has spoiled me with too much freedom ;)

17. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Having installed Sauerbraten this morning, I can't say I was too impressed. Aside from the fact that Ubuntu required an obscure library to be installed (libsdlmixer1.2?) before I could run the game, the sound was very crackly even when I did get it going.

Not only that, there was no widescreen support (though the -w and -h options on the console could probably provide this, it wouldn't take much to put it in the menus, would it?), the graphical effects didn't look up to the standard of the screenshots -- again I could probably spend a day or two editing the shell script that runs the game, but I really couldn't be bothered.. Why?

NO mouse sensitivity options. I could barely turn. What sort of 'frag-fest' FPS doesn't have controls (in the menus or _anywhere_) to adjust the mouse sensitivity?!

A much, much better example of FPS gaming goodness on Linux is 'World of Padman' [WoP]. It's an incredibly fun Q3A-based game, that requires no pre-requisite copy of Q3A and runs on Linux, Mac and Windows pretty seamlessly.

Installation was a sinch, much easier than Sauerbraten, widescreen support and everything you'd come to expect from a release-version FPS game.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for FPS kicks whilst living in Linuxland, and for when you're stuck with Windows or OSX too :D

18. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Aside from looks Sauerbraten and Nexuiz seemed quite hollow for me. Somebody forgot to implement good game design while working the graphics.

19. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I really liked the article.
    Its opened my eyes a bit to linux again and I'm gonna install ubuntu when I get home probably.

One thing, how does installing on a raid controller work?
    Will I need to do something similar to what is needed in XP (the press F6 thing?)

Hell, I may even format my machine and try it out... :D

20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I'm dual-booting with ubuntu at the moment, and theres only really one thing stopping me completely converting: the linux ATI drivers, they really are dire :p (some slowdown is due to wine/cedega, but i get a good 33% fps reduction)

Looks like i need to save up for an nvidia card to switch over to linux
    (ironically, i swapped from nvidia to ati years ago due to the horrible nvidia windows drivers :duh: )

Tags: Add Tags