1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Longweight's Mechanical Keyboard Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by longweight, 23 May 2012.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So I got my Model M. I'll be posting up a mini review soon, but for now I'll just describe the switch characteristics.

It's firm, there's a bit of initial resistance and when the spring hits critical it clicks. So far after typing and gaming on it I can say that there's defintively much more tactility than say a rubber dome or an MX Black. Also, buckling springs are not for those who don't like noise, They're noisy. Very very noisy. But oh so wonderful.

The pinging noise can be grating to some too. But to note, the typing feeling is amazingly crisp. So if anyone is a pure typist Buckling springs are the only way to go. Blues can't even touch the feeling of springs.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

3. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Hoo boy.

Pulled the trigger on Filco Majestouch-2 NKR TenKeyLess FI/SE-layout with MX Brown switches. Not sure if I should have gone with reds instead, shame there's no easy access to try them out beforehand.

Local seller was out of stock put I should still be getting my board in two weeks.

Thanks to longweight for great guide, although no I need to come up with an explanation for my wife why I just spent 150€ on keyboard that doesn't even come with a numpad...:worried:

And red WASD and escape keycaps are already calling out to me.

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

No problem, glad that the guide helped!

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

A year ago, long before I came to this site so I didn't see the guide, I bought a Qpad MK-85 with Cherry MX black switches. Unfortunately I didn't get on with them at all. I sent it back after just 3 days and, after more research and much thought, I swapped it for browns, good service from Amazon. I've been very happy with it ever since and hope it lasts a long time. The Qpad is a nice solid board and with Cherry switches will likely keep me going for years. Would be much better for mechanical newcomers if there was somewhere we could try them out before buying.

6. BigDan

BigDan What's a Dremel?

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Apologies for the semi nerco thread resurrection.

Been debating what to get as my current non mechanical keyboards slowly dying. Played with a few mechanical ones at work an settled for brown switches. Any recommendations on which to get? Backlighting would be nice but not a deal breaker, currently using keyboard without a numpad so tenkeyless is an option as well.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

If it wasn't for browns I would have recommended the CM quickfire TK that is on offer on ebuyer at the moment.

The browns version was on offer just last week :(

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Typical!

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Long time no post.

I remember there was quite a lot of threads in this forum about mechanical keyboards and such. Since reading here I've only used cherry MX switches. Either red for gaming or brown for typing.

Anyway, walking about in BIC camera in Tokyo I see realforce topre keyboards. I'm learning japanese; thought it would be nice to have one for Japanese but not necessary yet.

The heart won over the head as I bought one.

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The expiration of Cherry's patent on the MX type switch means that everyone and his dog has a mech with cheap Chinese switches in it now. The action is much the same, so it's all but been killed off as a truly enthusiast option now.

IMHO.

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

My new keyboard arrived, thanks kickstarter (only about 9 months late)

Cherry Brown RGB, UK layout, TKL, Bluetooth & wireless.

[​IMG]

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hmm are they available to buy now and if so how much?

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I swear, I'm going to launch a tech company with gaming bent that picks unaggressive names for its products, just for the novelty. "Tulip Pro." "Perfume Xpert Advanced." "Hot Bubblebath TKL." "Cuddles Gaming Mouse."

Goatee and The_Crapman like this.
  15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think you should also change from positive to negative suffix eg "Fluffy bunny amateur", and RGB replaced with Ermahgerd: "Ermahgerd kittens newb"

Goatee and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Nope, I think it will be a couple of months.

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

ok thanks

Pre order £330, think that's me out.

18. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Last edited: 3 Apr 2019
  19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ooops no soz that's just me being a knob, they raised £330,000.

I clicked on the pre order button on their home page and instantly saw £335 and left :( without looking properly.

20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

My initial view is that it’s still in need of polish, I haven’t really played with it much but the cherry keys are nice (obviously) and the rub lighting is nice ( I tend to just set it to white). Seems well made