1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Looking for 1080p playback advice? Follow this thread

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by djDEATH, 27 Jun 2008.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Whoah, that's seriously, utterly brilliant. What about 720p? I take it you'll end up with similar wattage.

Either way, that's a mint setup for a media centre.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Mr Tad claims he can do it in a lower power. So can I :D /rubs VIA Nano :D:D

3. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Nice nice :D

i'll have to try ;)

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Late testing this evening: If you can't use GPU acceleration the CoreAVC codec is fantastic! It's wonderfully threaded.

5. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Testing on my computer.
    Ratatouille 1080P.
    CPU : 00 :D (While playing)
    Just great ;)

6. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

ok, despite it being my dumbness i'm sure, i've hit that brick wall again where i can't work this out.

I even followed my OWN instructions lol

I install MPC-HC, then go to Options, and set it to EVR, all fine, then when i go to check my external filters, this is what i get...

[​IMG]

And i'm not getting any hardware acceleration???

any ideas?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Filters - Enhanced Video Renderer - Pin Info: Filter : Enhanced Video Renderer - CLSID

But that's an MKV - I've had problems yesterday with an 8200 motherboard playing back h.264 files with video acceleration in MPC-HC. It only worked with video acceleration using PowerDVD 8.

8. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

its funny cos last time i ran through the instructions, the above screenshot woudl have shown several filters in there (and bubsterboo's advice says check to make sure none of the H264 ones are set to preferred) but as you can see above, there are none in the list.

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Cheers for the guide, however I still appear to be having issues with this, hopefully one of you may be able to shed some light on where im going wrong...

Downloaded and installed [ Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (by Casimir666) 1.1.604 ] :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where it goes wrong :confused: as no MCP video decoder is listed.
    [​IMG]
    I have both a 8800GTX (G80) card (set as primary card/monitor in windows) and I have a 8400GS (G92?) which I use for monitor (3) and projector (4)

System specs in sig, playback still choppy/out of sync with audio, for the audio im using digital out via coax and letting the speakers decode the Dolby Digital signal.

What am I doing wrong? :(
    EDIT: using latest CCCP also.

Thanks

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  10. Delphium

Anyone? :sigh:
    Please.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2008
  11. Delphium

OK think I have this working now for some of the movies I try using Vista 64bit...

1) download and install MPC-HC v1.1.604.0 / 64 bits
    [​IMG]

2) set to output to EVR rendering
    3) ensure no fillters in the prefered list
    4) load MPC-HC and maximize the program
    5) load video into player

Having this maximized onto monitor 3 powered by my 8400GS I now get the "MPC Video Decoder low merit"
    [​IMG]

Clicking on the filter shows the following info, which shows the video is using the gfx card for playback.
    [​IMG]

Having this confirmed to be working on a 720p movie I try again with a 1080p movie, unfortunately this does not use the gfx card to play it back, so I can only assume that the 1080p movie is not 4.1 complient as bubsterboo had mentioned about earlyer in the thread.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I have had Nvidia PureVideoHD cores not recognising some h.264 media whereas AMD UVD does before, I haven't been able to attribute it to anything yet :(

13. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Delphium: Yup, the video is most likely not level 4.1 compliant. Most x264 1080p encodes arn't level 4.1. There's a tool that will confirm that, i'll look it up later.

The reason you could only get this to work with the x64 bit version is because only x64 bit decoders can be used with the x64 bit mpc. You probably don't have any. So it's defaulting to its internal decoders.

To get it working on the 32bit version (which i recommend doing so you can use other 32bit decoders, like AC3Filter for audio) You will either have to turn off H264 in your FFDshow video codec settings, or change the priority (or merit) FFDShow video has over other decoders.

Easyest way, go start - programs - ffdshow - video decoder config, and find H264/AVC and change the decoder to dissabled, save your settings, restart MPC.

One tool that you can use to change and view your decoder priority's is FilterManager (lowering FFDShow video's merit might help you here)
    Quick google brought me here:
    http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm

That's how most programs will operate, like Windows Media Player for instance. It will chose the decoder that has the highest merit for the type of format. So for H264 for instance you could have several decoders. Say ffdshow, coreavc, sonic, cyberlink, and even your internal MPC decoder. But the program will only pick one (usually the highest merit)

Also you're only going to be able to hardware accelerate H264 on your displays hooked up to your 8400gs, the G80 doesn't support purevideo 2.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2008
  14. Delphium

bubsterboo: Aye, im using 64bit codecs including the x64 AC3fillter, which is working fine simply passes the digtal signal stright to my amp/speakers.

Ill check out that tool to adjust priority, thanks :)

As for the 8400GS and G80 chipset, I was aware of this since reading this thread, and thus my testing was done on that, having tested it on my 8800gtx, it proved it did not work, however as the 8400GS is hooked up to the projector, then im happy with the setup :)

Thanks for all the info's bubsterboo :)

15. demeter

demeter What's a Dremel?

Hi,

After some experimenting with the guides that have been shown here i found 4 steps to enable dxva on my GA-MA78GM on WINDOWS XP SP3 (tested it 3 times)

1. download codecs from here http://www.cccp-project.net/beta/Combined-Community-Codec-Pack-BETA-2008-07-02.exe

2. un-tick h264 option in the cccp configuration screen

3. follow the instructions here http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html , for windows xp use VMR9 renderless , under Surface : 3D surfaces (this is what i did) , In Playback tick the checkbox "Auto-load subtitles"

4. restart MPC-HC

you will see in the filters option during playback there's a MPC Video Decoder (low merit) , click on that to see if it works, it worked for me :)

Now my cpu load is around 5% for MPC-HC , wohooo!!

for reference

i've installed the latest catalyst 8.9, and .net 3.5 .

Credits goes to the major contributors of this thread

16. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Just to let people know, there is a new cccp release i.e not a beta but full.

17. Delphium

Well finnaly got mine to playback smoothly for 1080p non 4.1 complient videos, I was moaning to a friend about this and he highly suggested that I installed CoreAVC codec, I checked it out and proceeded to use the trial, of which it appeard to have worked, so purchased the pro edition for SMP and future GPU support, which makes playback even smoother.

So for anyone else having issues, with non hardware accelerated 1080p playback, I highly recommend trying out the CoreAVC codec, for me its worked wonders.

18. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

My I ask a question in here? Im looking at getting a HD 4550 to go in my system aswell, but not be used to display (unless needed) so i was woundering if the card is installed but not powering my monitor will it still help with h.264 and such or would i need to swap displays for this to work?

19. Delphium

You would need to swap your monitor over to the HD 4550.

20. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Tags: