1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Looking for a TV recommendation

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeStorm, 22 Sep 2023.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

After the TV decided to die we've been using an old one which has been fine but was aiming to get the other repaired, only for me to knock it over so it went from just not displaying to now having a crack on the screen as well which I'm going to guess may make the repair cost less appealing....

As a result, figured I'd ask the knowledgable folks for potential replacements.
    Previous model was a Phillips Ambilight 4k 58" which we liked, not a particularly high end model from what I remember, cost around £400 for a refurb model a couple of years ago.

Budget is £500-1000 probably leaning towards the cheaper end as this is an unplanned expense :D
    Will be used for various streaming services all via a PC so not fussed about inbuilt 'smart' stuff really, would be wanting something of a similar style to the Phillips, for 55"+, 4k I guess. From a quick look it appears prices haven't really gone down for similar TVs in the past couple of years?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Isn't the current hotness LG OLED [be it in an leg wrapper or the LG panel in another wrapper] or samsung...

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I would look at LG, Not sure if a C2 will fit in the budget, but that is very highly regarded. I would look at buying from either Richer Sounds or John Lewis, for the 5 year warranty.

Sam

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

If I were to buy a TV today it would be an LG C2

5. GeorgeStorm

Cheers I'll have a gander, the company that was meant to pick up our current TV to potentially fix it failed to turn up so am going to have a looksie.

Edit:
    From a quick look on RS it appears £1k would get you a 48" C2 which I don't think will be a go :D. 55" would be the minimum size we'd want as the smaller size makes playing certain games not great due to UI sizing.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2023
  6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

That 55" LG C3 from Richer Sounds for £1399 would get my money tbh, 6 Year warranty alone is worth while, If you can wait for Black Friday (24th Nov), it may come down in price.

Sam

7. GeorgeStorm

Yeah we can definitely wait, and so we will see what things do, but having spoken to the wife about it a little more I think we'd actually lean towards a philips again as we both did like the ambilight thing.

Edit:
    Also I think just in general we would struggle to justify spending that much on a TV when we've accidentally been using a 10+ year old much smaller TV for months now and it's not been too bad clearly (by the fact we haven't sorted it out yet :D)

Last edited: 8 Oct 2023
  8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

What sort of size can you cram in?

I have the 75" Ambilight and I love it. Supports Gsync too

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Only thing that would stop me getting an LG OLED would be if reflections are and issue, if they are the the Samsung OLED, S92Cor Sony's top of the range using Samsung etc with its anti reflective tech would be higher up the list or a high power QLED where you can power through strong reflections.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I have a LG C", bough it at release, with a £200 rebate, but totally worth every penny! Makes media viewing an absolute joy, shows like Foundation are utterly beautiful! It takes it to anoher level! The things that sold the C2 for me were:
    • The beginning of the plateau of PLED tech, so if you buy now you won't feel burnt later until QOLED gets waaaay cheaper.
    • Improved display thermals, it barely warms up not, which will improve its lifespan.
    • Burn in isn't a risk for these screens.
    • Really fast and responsive menus, there's nothing worse than a laggy TV!
    • Brilliant upscaling tech, so even lower quality stuff looks great
    • Waaay lighter than any other TV of its size, the 55" is 14kg!!! Most other TV's, inclusing the C1 are closer to 30kg! Makes mounting is far easier.

11. GeorgeStorm

I mean it's an open space so whatever size I guess.

The windows are side on to the TV, so reflections can be an issue when the curtains are open.

Never use the remote other than to turn the thing on so not worried about any kind of inbuilt os pros/cons, and it sits on a ikea kallax thing on its side so again weight doesn't really bother me.
    Idea of having an OLED screen is appealing, but not sure it's worth the premium when my wife would rather watch Ghibli on netflix than get the BR out. And we only pay for the cheapest netflix anyway so high quality media isn't that common for us.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

OLEDs are terrible for reflections, glass panels.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  13. GeorgeStorm

Cheers, think we can wait until black friday and see what's available, may either have some more money to put towards it or have commited to a new kitchen and not get anything new at all :D

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The other option I guess would be a projector and an ALR (ambient light rejection) screen like this

15. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

I have the philips 65 ambilight 65OLED706 and it works well, the oled looks great and the extra ambilights i connected to it makes the room light up too. Can highly recommend.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I love our LG OLED - even my Mrs (who hates spending money on quality AV) grudgingly admits how absolutely brilliant it is. Re-watching Altered Carbon on it made me realise just how far the market had moved.

Reflections aren't great, but tbh I'd rather have a blind shut on sunny days for watching anyway

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I don't disagree, I really like my LG too but reflections are terrible compared to last TV and it doesn't go bright enough for those eye opening HDR moments, the screen dimimg on something like Mandolorian when its mostly white, is comical,so yeah, OLED is great but if you have to battle sun, LCD is valid, I pretty much have to sit in darkness any time the sun comes out.

The Samsung OLED has some reflection mitigation but a side effect of a pink tinge, don't know if Sony solved it in their master series using Samsungs panel.

18. GeorgeStorm

Well this got put on the back burner for a bit whilst trying to sort out the kitchen, and now that some of that has been finalised and black friday sales are starting I'm starting to have another look.

Projector more 'cool' than practical in my experience, but it is very cool!

Had a look on JL/RS this morning after seeing a black friday email and have seen the philips mini led 65" for £1k which is tempting as have heard mini led would be the 'minimum' recommended by the folks over at avforums but I can't help but feel they are a tad gatekeepy with their TV suggestions but that would be a decent upgrade from what we had previously both in size and 'quality' whilst keeping the ambilight which we did both like but that is definitely pushing the budget now.

Looks like could maybe squeeze an OLED 55" but I am worried about reflections as we're considering moving the room around so the tv would be opposite the windows which would be even worse I guess.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Costco have the 55 c3 oled on offer for 1200 until the 4th

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I was in Costco earlier I accidently bought the c3 :D

Interestingly they had both high end OLEDs from Samsung and LG side by side so I got to test the reflection performance of the panels the Samsung did appear to be better, rather than reflecting the torch light back bright white, it knocked a good level of light out of the reflection but did diffuse the light with a light pink halo, not too noticeable really unless you were inches from it as I was.

Not much between the displays really Samsung's was cheaper just went with the LG because it is familiar :rollingeyes: