1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mac OS update breaks hackintoshes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Good move Apple. Way to ensure that those who may have been considering trying out the OS, and then possibly buying one of their rather expensive (but good looking) machines, now wont. If anything that has just cost them consumers....

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I suppose they have every right, It's just a pity they did it!

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

So now someone has to hack the kernel so so they live up to the name HACKintosh and reverse the changes those particular bits of code.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Why. If people are paying to buy Mac OS to put on these netbooks, Apple will lose out financially if they stop this.
    Apples who business model seems to treat customers with contempt. Force them to use iTunes, force them to keep their iPhone with one provider (no SIM change), force people to use certain hardware if they want their software.
    And people say that MS used to abuse it's market position.

6. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i think they will modify the kernel quite quickly because a lot of people will see it as a challange and becasue we know what to look for it wont be too dificult to decrypt it and compare the two and if it is just they have removed support we could quite easily just add it

7. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Way to keep your market share below 6% Apple, well done!
    I don't get Apple. It's not like they manufacture the hardware! They're just a system builder just like any other oem (Dell, HP, you name it) and they put on their own OS.
    Nothing special.

To me they're just a Pc Housing manufacturer and OS developer.

Apple has been making lot's of bad decision in my opinion while Microsoft is opening up and adopting a much leaner poilicy.

8. shanky887614

you mean like windows 7 for £30???

i think this is going to cause resentment with a lot of microsoft os ussers
    becasue its not very nice that students get it for £30 and the rest have to pay £200
    (im a student but i dont think i can get it becasue i dont have an ac.uk account)

9. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Well I don't mean price policy per se. I mean Microsoft has come a long way from being a closed dark corporation that crushes any company trying to compete with it; to a company who's open to other vendors and developers. Like the latest move to allow users to choose what media player or internet client to use and not force them to use MS produce.

I don't see any problem with lower-priced software for students. I back them up on that matter.
    To get the most out of your study (in computer science) you need to work with a decent versions of software other thanExpress editions. And we all know students need money to finance their studies, etc.

I know that not every student does have an ac.cuk account, but I don't see Apple selling their Macs for fifth of its value to students.

... and retail, full copy of Win 7 Home Prem. can be bought just under £80 and not £200. You'd almost buy a netbook with Win 7 for that price

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The only way Apple can say that OSX is more stable than Windows is by severely limiting the hardware to a very small subset of what's available. If they opened up OSX so that is was installable on any x86 platform, they'd suffer from the same problems as Microsoft (if not worse, because at least MS has been used to writing an OS that will work on millions of combinations of hardware for the last 15-20 years) - and that way they wouldn't be able to stand on the moral high ground and thumb their noses at Microsoft.

It's ironic that Apple most famous ad campaign, the 1984 hammer ad, was all about sticking it to the corporate man. Over the last few years, Apple has become more proprietary and controlling than Microsoft ever was.

11. shanky887614

well i see your point but microsoft is saying tis becasue they are the biggest portion of the population that pirate and i can nearly garenty that most people have done something that is ilegal at some point
    (usually music though not operating systems)

12. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

incidentally, where the f*** was my ballot screen to choose web browser when I installed Windows 7? I'm waiting for Microsoft to get thoroughly beaten by the EU over that one...

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

What, because it's so hard to download and install another browser using IE?

14. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

WTF are you talking about??? Are you even on this planet? These comments show a complete lack of appreciation of what is actually occuring out there.

- TomTom and patent FUD?
    - Who backed SCO financially?
    - ODF vs. OOXML and the ISO vote-rigging shambles?
    - Continued denial of interoperability protocols & the European Commission?
    - IE, the European Commission and who actually initiated the benefit to consumers?

These are but a few. Do your homework before you make such outrageous statements.

15. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

You probably bought the normal version of 7, not the gimped-by-EU version

Back to the article - it would be interesting to see the proportion of Mac users appearing on the data from yesterday are running hackingtosh. I would think it would be quite high in which case this is a bit silly - particularly as support for the Atom isn't going to make their OS any less stable.

Is there a way to turn off what information a motherboard supplies to the OS in the BIOS? There are a load of options that sound like it might but nothing concrete that I can think of.

16. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

nothing outrageous about my statement. It's just my opinion and I can say whatever I want

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I still think its ironic that OSX is "exclusive". If microsoft starting building its on machines and Windows was exclusive, their would be law suits left right and center.

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I'm sure there is. I recall an incident where Foxconn was selling boards with BIOSes tailored to crash Linux but run Windows without any problems.
    Stands to reason someone could just mess with the BIOS enough for, say, an Atom board to report itself as an iMac board. But then, that's not something most users are comfortable with doing.

Ninja edit: Here's the link for the Foxconn fiasco - http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249

19. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

i think there could be a way to circumvent it, the question is how hardcore it will be,lol, even if apple doesnt completely block out hackintoshes with this update, it will still be a win situation for them since alot of people dont really have no idea what they are doing when installing their hackintoshes (script kiddies?) when they install them. leaving just the enthusiasts..

20. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

Law suites over what? There is absolutely nothing illegal about only putting software you developed on devices you make. Try any cell phone aside from android. Microsoft sells software, Apple sells hardware, they just have different business models. It sucks that Apple did this, but I would say they have every right to do it if they chose, and as a company they are doing amazingly right now. They are making a killing selling expensive machines in a recession. I would also be very surprised if hackintoshes were more than a tiny amount of the market, its still too difficult for most consumers.

Tags: Add Tags