1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macros Mouse Mat

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 3 Apr 2002.

1. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Depends on what kind of LEDs you use.

if you use 5v LEDs, in parallel, no resistor is needed. If you use any voltage other than 5v, you will need to use Linear's LED calculator, or do the math yourself :lol:

Your USB port supplys (correct me if I'm wrong) about 500 mA, a typical LED uses 10-20 mA (at least, that is what I have found).

Hope this has helped!

2. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

hmm. Parallel? Is that instead of how Macro's done it? I think his is in series.. So I'd essentially use a common ground.

okay! =)

USB makes more sense, anyways, than plugging in a powerpack or something. Viva la USB! =P

I just wonder if I could somehow make a pass-thru - plug in the mousepad to the USB port, then the mouse plugs into the pad...

3. Yo-DUH_87

you could do that, as long as your mouse doesn't use much current.

As previously mentioned, the USB port gives out 500 mA current, using 11 20 mA LEDs, you would have about 280 mA of current avalible for your mouse. I know that I have a unpowered USB hub, and it will run my m$ mouse, a joystick, and a CF reader all at the same time, so I'm betting that you'd be just fine.

This mousemat is a very nice idea, and if I ever had the time and tools, I might attempt it :waah:

4. Avatar28

I was curious as to if anyone ever managed to find that 3d film here in the states?

Also, I'm a little unclear as to why the glass AND the plexi as opposed to, say, 2 layers of plexi. It would seem that having the two layers of plexi would make it a lot less fragile. A good thing for, say, lan parties.

5. MagicMikey

MagicMikey What's a Dremel?

Is that really true? I'm thinking about using 5mm blue LED's, not exactly sure what voltage they are, how can I measure that? Thanks.

6. Yo-DUH_87

It should state the voltage on the container/spec sheet for the LEDs. In my experience, I have found most LEDs I have used to be anywhere from 1.7 - 3.2v, I have never personaly used a 5v LED.

They do exsist, though.

Your best bet is to look at the place you ordered them from/are going to order them from, and see if there is a voltage spec. There also should be a current spec. Again, most LEDs I've used have a current from 10-30 mA, but your milage may vary.

Hope this helps!

7. Avatar28

I got a big sheet of scrap plexi from my local plastics dealer. 3/8" thick at least, so I shouldn't need but the one sheet I think. I'll dremel out a deep enough cut that the LEDs will be near the middle. My biggest concern now is going to be how to keep the LEDs from shining through the top of my mat.

8. Fu7ure7ech

Fu7ure7ech What's a Dremel?

I just recieved my 4 sheets of #dimensional film and a 6sheet pack of silver foil. I already have the acrylic so any day now I will start building my own mouse pad useing the Bit Tech mouse mat as sort of a template but ill put some of my own touches into it.

9. polamnus

polamnus What's a Dremel?

???

Fu7ure7ech, are you in the US or UK(or somewhere else?)

If in the US, where did you find the 3D film?

Sill looking for it here, or something suitable. Way up the thread I said I was going to use the Fresnel lens stuff, decided against it. Would still love to find something like it. I got some potentials while hunting google, but most of them are industrial supply houses that only deal in bulk.

Best to all,
    Pol

10. Fu7ure7ech

I ordered it from the UK site from here in the US. I have been in contact with DC Datas main guy Dave and he told me all the info I would need. When I order it with a credit card my credit card company automaticly does the exchange rate thingy so US dollars goes to Pounds without me intervening. They do ship to the US and it was a total of about 17$ the shipping charge isnt that much. It did take about a week and a few days to get my order and there was no email confirmation that my order went through so I was a little worried that my order wasnt received, but Dave told me the date my order was prcoessed and I recieved the supplies today. I have yet to find anywhere in the US online that sells these same products.

11. Fu7ure7ech

Hey macroman whats up. I am currently in the process of creating my own mouse pad. I had a few questions for you. First is there any tips you can give me to help make the edges of the acrylic appear to be glass like. I have usesd a file, and 320 grit sand paper. The sides are smooth as a babys ass but it doesnt have the clarity as glass. Second for the LEDs hook ups. Will a 220 Ohm resistor do or a 270 OHM resistor? Radio shack didnt have any 240's :(.

12. macroman

macroman The One

A glass like finish can be obtained by running a flame along the edge. (Very carefully!). Alternativly you could polish it with Novus 1 plastic polish. (Brasso can be used but do not use it excessivly).

Since you are lighting the plastic, if you want the edges to glow the a diffused edge will light far better than a clear edge.

The resistor value should be picked to suit your particular leds. See this calculator to find a suitable resistor. Generally either of the values you suggest should be ok. The 270R one being the most conservative and hence producing the dimmer light. so long as you do not exceed the leds current rating all should be fine.

13. Fu7ure7ech

Thanks Macro for your previous suggestions it seems to be turning out great. As for the LED's though I bought from Radio Shack well there not really to bright. In fact on the back of the package they are rated for 120 MCD. I have seen online some LED's that come in at 5000 to 8000 MCD. How bright is that if you know? BTW whats the mcd rating on the LED's you used. In the last couple of pics there really is a shine underneath that pad and I kinda want that effect.

14. Fu7ure7ech

Well Macroman its finally done. After a few weeks of working it I finally got a mousepad created by my self and my dad. Thanks for the great idea I couldn;t of done it with out the inspiration of your article and knowledge. My Mousmat

15. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

does this article even exist anymore? please tell me it does!

I remember sitting in awe reading this guide, I would love to try and make a mat like this now, but alas the guide has dissapeared.

16. macroman

macroman The One

It is OK now:)

Seems the interweb gremlins had a nibble at it. :duh:

17. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

Hey all... I was just wondering if one of you guys who got the 3D film from DC Data could let me know what the dimensions of each sheet is?? After reading the article I'm definately going to be building one of these mouse pads for mayself, but I need to know the dimensions for another project idea that I had (don't worry details will eventually follow).

Thanks,
    Bill

18. macroman

macroman The One

The 3D sheets are standard A4 size.

19. Rahabib

Rahabib What's a Dremel?

Hey guys. Just found the site and love it.

Question. I was going to do something similar to this. However, I have a wireless keyboard and mouse so having a wired mousepad doesnt make sense. So my question is, is there a way (mod, tutorials, etc.) that anyone has seen that involves using a small AA battery instead of molex or USB ends? I am not an electrition so figuring out stuff on my own probably wont work :). It might be a good challenge to those modders out there to try.

Anyway, thanks.

Rahabib :D

20. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, just a quick update for everyone in the US. DC Data the company that Macro purchased the 3D film from ships to the US. I ordered 3 sheets last week and they arrived here today. If you look on their site there is a currency converter in the bottom left corner. The stuff looks pretty cool, my optical mouse slides much more smoothly across this material than any other mouse mat i've ever had. Unfortunately, when I tried to print on it with my HP deskjet it came out looking horrible, none of the details in the image were visible. A buddy of mine has one of those solid ink printers at his house, so I'm heading over there tommorow to give it another go. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Bill

Tags: Add Tags