1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Mafia 2 Demo is out!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul2011, 10 Aug 2010.

1. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Okay so with everything on high, including physX, I get a pretty dreadful 12.2fps average. What's interesting though is that throughout the benchmark my GPU never went over 40% and my CPU never went over 50%, except on one core which occasionally reached 70% but mostly sat around the 60-65% mark.

With physX on low it's much the same story, except with slightly lower CPU usage and a much more playable (though still not really that great) average of 18.8fps.

With physX off completely I get an average of around 45fps, with the CPU doing very little (as with most games I play) and my GPU going full pelt, never dipping below 98%, as you'd expect.

I'd be prepared to accept a situation where my CPU was maxed out trying to do physics simulations, but still caused a bottleneck and struggled to maintain a decent framerate, but this is just rubbish. I have hardware headroom to spare and yet my framerates suck. Oh, and I had 2GB+ free RAM throughout the benchmark too. Thought I should check that after the "Borderlands incident" of last week (latest ATI drivers = memory leak).

I'd be interested to know if any i7 owners see a similar thing in the benchmark? It makes very little sense to me. Either your GPU is maxed or your CPU is. On rare occasions both are maxed but it requires a perfect balance of hardware (usually with GPU far in excess of CPU). I've never seen a game fail to max either of the two before and STILL run badly. It happens when I have Vsync on in some games, but that only kicks in a 60fps obviously...

So, is it just me?

2. Yslen

Oh okay, if I'd read this it would have saved me making a massive post asking if anyone else had seen this exact thing. :duh:

3. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

This game runs like dog **** on a GTX 260 216 core.

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Nvidia has to give you a reason to buy a gtx 480, otherwise why would you bother.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Why does everyone criticise a game because it needs you not to have maxxed the settings on a 2 year old graphics card? It's called progress.

Runs fine on my 8800GT, as lowly as it is, because I don't expect it to run with max AA and max effects at 2048*1152.

6. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Runs fine for me.

7. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

-1 to 2K Games/2K Czech studio for using Physx, thus alienating almost half their audience who don't own an Nvidia card, when I'm willing to bet they could have done the same effects using a more open physics middleware such as Havok.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2010
  8. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Nvidia do this for the devs in there TWIMTBP program and the devs don't need to fork out like they would for havok.
    It's a extra nvidia offer them for free.
    They even send over nvidia people to implement it for them.

9. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

You realize, of course, they are aiming to simulate 40's-50's cars and not, say, cars like in GTA IV?

The cars are going to have a different feel than contemporary vehicles.

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

So the correct way to look at it is not that half the users (red) get cheated out of shiny, but that half the users (green) get extra shiny as opposed to no shiny.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Follow the link in Slizza's post and it tells you how to optimise the physics so it can run on the CPU.

The quote below is from the link.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I just watched a trailer and it made me wonder; why do cars in third person game suffer from that much body roll ? It's ridiculous. You barely touch the steering wheel and the car looks like it wants to do a barrel roll

13. Yslen

The graphics still look very DX9 to me, and run fine on my old 4850. It's the physics that I'm annoyed about, because they don't run very well on a CPU at all. It's not even using 100% of the CPU! It all looks like an attempt to shift Nvidia GPUs to me.

14. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

They are 'old' cars and your probably taking a corner at suicide speeds, I think they look quite good in game.

15. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

played the demo too many times now, cant wait for this to come out! if the story is good and the voice acting is as nice thoughout could be a real stunner.

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

4:00 exactly

17. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Just found THIS. Works for me, it's really simple to do in case anyone is not familiar with Hex editors, like me :).

18. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Yeah that's the way I did it too :D

19. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

[​IMG]

My 4870 got a C grade :eek:

Bear in mind, I didn't even look at the settings - just installed, started, hit benchmark.

Edit: default settings are 16xAF, 0xAA, No PhysX, VSync on, other settings on High.

Double edit: anyone else's screen incredibly dark once they've exited the game?!?!

Triple edit:
    MASSIVE THANK YOU!

Quadruple edit: Actually playing the game, in indoors areas (the distillery) it seems to my untrained eye to get an average of ~20 fps.. but I did put PhysX up to Medium :lol:

It's quite fun though, not sure I'll buy it as moving to Uni in the coming months and not taking the desktop with me... :worried:

20. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I got a D grade of 2GB of Ram