1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Mass Effect 3 General *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sheninat0r, 6 Mar 2012.

1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

And what point exactly is it that i'm missing? Your claim was that most of 'From Ashes' was already on the disc when in fact it isn't. Well not unless the entire 600mb download is just dummy data which Bioware are having people download to 'trick' them.

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Still pretty bad when editing one line of text in a certain .ini file renders him playable in all missions. The download is only his special mission and dialogue.

Also shows they had day one dlc planned while making the game.

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm pretty sure that both Zaeed and Kasumi had certain assets included on the ME2 retail discs when it was released, this is no different. And it's the dialogue and mission that actually make the character, not a few graphical assets.

Well of course they did. I'm sure they spent plenty of time thinking about and planning DLC during the development process. What else do you expect them to do with people as various parts of the main game are completed and they're no longer required?

4. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

So I just finished the game *yay* and am not really too outraged like some fans are... in fact i rather like it.

The options remind me of the 3 Deus Ex options, Destroy technology (Reapers), Control the world (Reapers) or merge and try to save everyone

Anyhow, the one thing i was wondering... is it supposed to load a previous save when you finish the game? (I.E. after the credits and after the little dialogue box which congratulates you).

I know ME2 put you back on the Normandy as well (so you could complete side missions), but I don't remember it removing your Levels gained during the Final Mission either.

Although it does give me the option of importing my ME3 char., so I guess it's alright?

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Didn't mind the day 1 DLC, want outraged. Didn't like it as a business strategy, but @vdbswong, the problem with the ending is that there was a lack of choice, Shepard couldn't argue that the final choices didn't fit the what he'd experienced in the galaxy, etc. Also, plotholes and it's supposed to be the culmination of ME3 not of DX, at least try and think of an ending Bioware.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Finished the game last night... and like a few i'm confused and disappointed by the ending...

The ending was one big deus ex machina

the 'solution' to synthetic life destroying organic life... is synthetic life [the reapers] destroying organic life... wait... what?

what is joker/the normandy running from? You see him franticly trying to outrun the crucible shockwave while in FTL... but why is the normandy in ftl in the first place? And the disney-tinted happily ever after staring into the sunset... really?

there are other things that bug me... but i can't remember them off hand... i may have to run through the ending again...

Last edited: 17 Mar 2012
  7. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Whilst I understand that users expect a lot of choice from a Mass Effect game, surely it's been as consistent as the previous games?

Mass Effect - You ultimately defeat Saren and Sovereign.

Mass Effect 2 - You either Keep/Destroy the Collector Base and/or die in the process.

The way I view it was that the ending (or at least, the ultimate result) was, in Dr. Who terms, a fixed point in time.

Similar to ME2, i had no doubts that this may have been a suicide mission... especially since they gave you the time to walk around the Earth base and "say your goodbyes (effectively).

As for the Deus Ex reference,
    i merely mentioned that because the endings are similar. Disregarding possible Nostalgia, noone really goes Deus Ex was a great game, but the ending sucked since you had no choice - all the endings don't really depend on what you've done previously, they merely shape the path you took to the ending

That's not to say that i agree with Bioware's lack of creativity for the ending... i do actually like the "Alternate Ending" that seems to be making its way around the internet.
    About saying **** the Crucible and simply going all out war on the Reapers

I did read the article from before (5 Reasons why the fans are "supposedly right) and the only points i agreed upon were the lack of choice (but as i said earlier, i'm fine with that) and the possible plot holes (like the Normandy in FTL etc.)

8. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

My review of Mass Effect 3

-Ok Graphics
    -Obvious console port with terrible control configurations
    -Corny dialogue
    -Cliche-ridden plot
    -Linear level design

....and I loved every second of it:)

Last edited: 17 Mar 2012
  9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

think the theory he's dreaming is right.. if you look at the ending- he looks dirty but takes a breath- he couldn't do that in space.. he's still on earth dreaming the whole thing after getting hit with the beam on the way to the transporter

that's the only way it makes sense really

10. Kasowaree

Kasowaree What's a Dremel?

The point your missing is that as far as I'm concerned ANY Day 1 DLC no matter it is no matter how meaningless or stupid it is is simply wrong. Any game content crated before release should be given to the people who bought the game. "From Ashes" is even worse then most in that EA/Bioware has repeatedly and blatantly lied about it.

11. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Why should it? If it's developed separately to the actual core game then the developer/publisher is perfectly entitled to sell it as such. At this point it seems appropriate to post:

[​IMG]

In what way?

Baz likes this.
  12. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

That graph means nothing to me where did you get that source of info from?

For one it says how Bioware and EA view game production doesn't mean that is how it happened, plus it's saying if there wasn't any day 1 DLC then there would be department changes like lay offs and moving to other departments, that maybe the occasion but those that have moved to other departments would help make the next Bioware game, and for those that have been laid off will find work elsewhere, I don't pay to keep someone in work that's Biowares job I pay for a product. And EA think the same way, they don't care about jobs they care about money.

Another, the pre-production for the DLC took longer than the pre-production for the main game, that tells me someone shouldn't have been play SWTOR when they should have been working :D

I would rather have the teams spend longer and not release a day 1 DLC and have a great story that didn't take less than an hour to complete.

EA doesn't fund anyone they pay for a company like Bioware to produce a game, it's down to Bioware to hire and fire people, so I can't see them firing people specially those that work in pre-production they would be moved onto other projects. EA is the publisher, bit like a writer and a publisher the publisher pays for the writer to make a book and it's upto the writer who they hire to help.

I'm not a fanboy or anything like that, I just hate when day 1 DLC is released and you have to pay for it, I wouldn't be as bothered if it was released a week later like most are, alot of others developers Day 1s are free so why couldn't they.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2012
  13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Day 1 DLC is a PR failure. All they need to do is wait a month and then announce it.

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

So i played the first 10 mins of this game on PC and couldn't believe how awful the story was and the console graphics are just dire!

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

And this is why user reviews aren't worth a damn.

Sure, I felt a little let down by the endings, but just because you didn't like the ending doesn't mean the game isn't a very fun and engaging way to spend 25+hours. 2/10? That's an unplayable buggy mess of a game which is literally a chore to play. Mass Effect 3 is neither of those things. I've watched Joe play a proper 2/10 game - you don't play it long enough to get to the third level, let alone the ending

In the end, you have to respect the artist's decision - it's Bioware's game, and it ended how it wanted it to end. Yes, it sucked, but you shouldn't let that colour your enjoyment of the whole series. Unless it colours it green, blue or red.

Wait, you judged the entire storyline on 10 mins of play? If you'd done the same in The Lord of the Rings, you'd have thought it was a fun countryside film about an old fireworks wizard cheering up some midgets. There's a lot more to it further on, with many decisions from the previous games coming back around and some VERY difficult moral choices to make.

Graphics on earth do ming though, I'll give you that.

16. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The theory I'm desperately backing is the last 10 mins are all a dream as a result of indoctrination from Harbinger.
    This is why the most difficult to achieve ending (+5000 galactic readyness thingies) involved killing the reapers and then Shepard waking up, as Shep has broken free from the indoctrination process

17. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Concerning ending of game:

Wasn't that bad, just expected "more" really. It is a shame for such a great series to come to an end with a bit of a whimper, although at first I thought that about Lost but having watched them back to back over a weekend I appreciated it much more and now think it was pretty perfect.

The 3 choices you have at the end were fine, I don't think anyone didn't expect some sort of choice. Symbiosis was pretty cool, I hadn't even considered that and it ended up being my selection but it did take a couple of mins for me to decide. Whole Adam and EDI thing going on, probably landing on a planet called Eden... nice touch.

The game just seemed to be a bit rushed from the part where you get wiped out by the beam (did not expect that, I actually thought you were dead. Now that would've been controversial!), talk to the Illusive Man then end up floating skywards and having a conversation with the Catalyst which takes the form of that little boy. Hmmm, OK so you make your choice and that's it, a cutscene 90% the same as the other 2 good endings and then your legacy being told by father to son in the future sometime.

Nice but just not much closure. The little touches that brought all 3 titles together throughout the game were great, the sense of doom when walking to meet Anderson before the final assault and talking to every squad mate you've encountered throughout the series was quite emotional (especially Garrus!) and I have to admit I didn't want it to end. It was set up for something special. After the many, many variations of endings in ME2 I'm not really aware of the difference my actions made in the end. Oh well, I'm blabbering a bit now.

Great series, with each sequel the gameplay got better (in most areas) whist the story got weaker but even the ending can't spoil my enjoyment of it as a whole, it wasn't as bad as some people are making out.

Bring on the MMO, but do it properly, no TOR effort please!

18. Kasowaree

Kasowaree What's a Dremel?

And I'm done arguing with you.
    We simple disagree on the fundamentals of it so really there's no point.

Also that graph is complete bs.

19. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Really? And how do you figure that?

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Actually that graph is about right