1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mattresses

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeStorm, 27 Nov 2023.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hi all,
    As above, we're considering buying a new mattress as neither of us have ever got on 100% with our Emma original medium tension mattress we bought 3 years ago almost to the day and I'm wondering if it's not helping some lower back discomfort I've had for a while and so we're considering replacing it.

However I've no idea where to look as there seem to be so many options and I've heard very mixed opinions on what type to buy/where from/x is overpriced etc

So I figured I'll ask for some more opinions :D

Having not really got on with the Emma I'm thinking next we wouldn't want 100% memory foam as I believe that's what this one is, best to just pop down to dreams/wherever and sit/lie on some to get an idea then go from there?

Cheers

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I went with the premier inn mattress, bed and bedding set.
    The bed isn't anything to write home about but the mattress and bedding is great.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2023
    mrlongbeard likes this.
  3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I would say that is the best way and, don’t be rushed.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We bought a "Newentor" memory foam mattress on Amazon, with zoned cut-outs and adjustable upper layers so you can change how firm it is. It's literally the best mattress we've ever had, and it was £189 including washable cover.

Listed as unavailable now, sadly, and Amazon's search being Amazon's search if I try to find Newentor-brand products I have to scroll through other household names like Molblly, Vesgantti, HiGRID, TeQsli, wowttrelax, dosleeps, Inofia, OYT, Koorlian, Yaheetech, Novilla, Serweet, KESCAS, SuiLong, Somnior, Jingxun, COSTWAY, naturalex, and Aotumm Ciort.

I have made literally none of those names up.

The_Crapman and Mojo like this.
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

We tried a few in walk-in stores, decided on one that we liked. Paid and got it delivered to the room. Very happy with it, 9+ years so far.

Recently bought a single for my 5.5 yo, tried a few in walk-in store, bought one we feel he'll probably like. He's very happy with it. (not that he understands what's a not comfy mattress, I don't think)

6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Interesting, I never knew they sold / licensed their mattresses, might have to bear them in mind as I'm not massively happy* with the one we got from Dreams a year age.

*Usual story, felt great in the shop, but foam layers compressed to buggery when in actual use, it's also really slippery and sheets will not stay fitted for love nor money.

7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

We bought a pocket spring mattress from a local shop for sensible money (~£200) about a decade ago and it still feels like new (as far as I can tell). Pocket spring with as many springs as you can afford to a firmness you like trumps foam in my opinion.

wyx087 likes this.
  8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

We have an Eve mixed-format one and it's been incredibly comfy, had it 8 years now. Probably coming up for replacement next year as it's just starting to form divets where the people are, but that's acceptable life for impeccable comfort imho.

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They used to be made by Hypnos and they sold a premier in spec version but they've since switched to Silent Night and you can buy the exact setup. They swapped some rooms over throughout their hotels and if you were in one of the rooms and gave feedback they gave you a discount. They did that over three years to get the current spec.

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

We have an Emma mattress and it's the comfiest mattress I've ever owned. Granted, I've had some horrendous mattresses in furnished rentals so it wasn't a high bar to clear.
    I find a decent bed frame + bed slats almost as important.

11. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder