1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Men ashamed of casual gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Nov 2007.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't know about that, Peggle is awesome as awesome pie.

Casual and hardcore are really a mindset IMO, all games are casual until you decide a certain game is so good you want to play it a lot more than average.

There are some games that people tend to play pretty "hardcore" (I still find this amusing) like say Halo 3 and Assassins Creed, "proper" games if you will. There are also ones that people will only play for half an hour to burn up some time like Peggle.

But then there's nothing stopping someone playing some hardcore Peggle and someone else casually playing Halo 3.

Gaming is one of my biggest hobbies, so I would put myself under "hardcore" banner, but that doesn't mean I'm one of those people who only plays M rated games because everything else is for kids. I'd say "casual" games probably take up more of my time than "hardcore" games as I'm pretty fickle with my gaming, I'll play something for a week and get bored of it for ages, and I often need something to fill the gaps when I'm finding a "real" game I want to play.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2007
  2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Veles, why are you confusing the rating of a game on whether it is casual or 'hardcore'?

In my mind (and I freely admit that the tag of casual or true game is very subjective) casual games are games you can easily pick up, blast around with and then just as easily put down. Games like Super Collapse, Peggle, Painkiller, etc. True games are ones, like movies that suck you in, make you want to see what is next, like the HL series, etc and also games where you don't really care what is next but you are having to much fun to stop, like Portal.

Whether a game is casual or 'hardcore' has nothing to do with it's intended audience, more on it's design philosophy as I'm sure the dev's at Pop-Cap would admit.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Because many "hardcore" gamers take the only play M rated attitude. I know a lot of people who didn't buy the GC even though they were big fans of Nintendo before because of the sole reason that they were too hardcore to play a kids console.

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

So you are being influenced by the attitudes of obvious morons?

5. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I'm not a big casual gamer (I usually have something better to do), but I was/am pretty addicted to Desktop Tower Defense! :lol:

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

pfft, i play Worms World Party and Wolfenstein3d on my phone
    <3 for pocketpc :p

7. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

The only place I really play casual games is at work, where I often play Tower defense games. I guess that might be considered a little more than casual but I don't think so. Also I don't think Halo 3 is really a "hardcore" game, practically everyone has seen it or heard about it and played it. Even my mom knew what day it came out, and she absolutely hates video games.

EDIT: Just to add, I would define a hardcore gamer as someone who devotes a lot of their time to gaming and goes out of their way to personally research games they want. Someone who owns a 360 with only GoW and Halo 3 because their friends bought it wouldn't be hardcore imo (not ripping on those games I own them too hehe).

8. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

So it's just the opposite of masturbation then?

Makes sense I guess...

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

:eyebrow:

No, and this kind of attitude is more prevalent than it seems you imagine.

10. jkenneth24

jkenneth24 What's a Dremel?

in another study...

Women ashamed of casual sex...

... according to another study reported by Reuters, although everyone engages in casual sex, women are less likely to admit it than men and are actually a little ashamed of the fact. The study shows that although men tend to pay for more sex, sex is actually split equally between gender...

...okay, so that was just the tweaked second paragraph of the article...

:)

-ken

.. this is my first post btw (long time reader tho)... so be kind...

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I rofled.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

haha good one and welcome to the forums ;)
    Great first post

as for the subject... I was never ashamed to say I own at Tetris Attack on the Game Boy :D

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Precisely. I'm completely gay for games like Race to Galamax (you'll probably only find it on antique-warez sites now) and even crap like the Windows bundled games.

Although I can't decide, now...is minesweeper casual or hardcore? Because different sectors seem to treat it like both.

14. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Minesweeper done properly is definitely not casual. I went through a phase of playing it a bit too religiously - turn off MSN, turn off your phone, buy a better mouse to improve your top scores etc. However, I did get quite good at it :D

I'm not afraid to say I like casual games. I play su doku on my phone more than I play anything else.

15. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I never play casual games. If I have time to kill, I kill it here. :rock:

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Solitaire Cheesecake

How come F T W is comming up as cheesecake???

Last edited: 4 Nov 2007
  17. 12modderz

12modderz L33T еÐ3!

I probably play online FLASH games more than I do for Hardcore games.

Tags: Add Tags