1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Metro last light

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Happy, 14 May 2013.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Haha ok, your opinion, your choice.

I personally am rather looking forward to starting it after these exams and whatnot.

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I get you, but I just don't think consoles have brought anything good to PC games and it's kind of scary actually that a big PC title has also been reduced to an auto aim console game. I don't really care if people think I should be accepting of console games... I tried to like them many years ago. Had a PS1 and sold it after 6 months. I accept that people can still be entertained by consoles and console games... it's just that I personally can't get over my dislike of them and seeing a PC game released with console features just annoys the hell out of me.

Perhaps I should just quit gaming altogether. It's expensive anyway what with the compulsion to buy the latest releases and the hardware to run them on.

3. Stanley Tweedle

I know... it's just a case of disabling auto aim but I think I need anger management regarding console games.

:)

4. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

One thing consoles have brought to PC is games, in many respects the PC market isn't big enough for major production companies to bother developing for, they simply couldn't recoup their costs.

However with the additional console markets it now becomes more financially viable to produce games and port them to the other platforms.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh please. Take your faux outrage elsewhere.

It's a great game but, if you don't want to experience it, then fine; just quit the elitist bluster.

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. Stanley Tweedle

I think I just need oculus rift HD and then I won't care so much.

It's high quality faux outrage.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's incredible that there are still people out there with such elitist attitudes (whether genuine or over-exaggerated). A good game is a good game regardless of platform - a game doesn't become poor just because it's available on a console any more than it becomes good simply because it's PC only.

It's also ironic that someone would refuse to play a game on the PC because it has a "console" feature enabled by default (auto-aim in this case), when the beauty of playing on the PC is that we can edit config files and so forth in order to, you know, modify the gaming experience. One of the best features of PC gaming means that you don't have to put up with features designed for other platforms :D

Of course, it's hard to say whether Stanley Tweedle is being remotely serious with his posts, so if you're being tongue-in-cheek, I do apologise :D

Finally, for what it's worth, I'm really enjoying Last Light, although I can't help feeling that the some of the unique atmosphere of the first game has been lost somewhat, which is a shame as that was the best thing about 2033.

8. Stanley Tweedle

I wouldn't question whether or not the game was good and I wouldn't say it's crap because it has auto aim. I mean it can be a great game with auto aim off. I am just astonished that a game that began life on PC is now released on PC again with console optimization. You may be stunned by my elitist anti-console ranting while I am stunned how readily PC gamers now accept auto-aim on a PC game.

It's none of my business whether you own a console... it's all down to choice. I choose to dislike the policy of releasing a PC game with auto aim enabled. I ain't gonna change my view to avoid offending people.

But yes, the advantage with the PC platform is you can make changes to a console game to make it more PC.

9. David

I finished the game last night.

Really enjoyed it,
    although the ending was a little abrupt and slightly unsatisfying.

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'm going to play the first I think after reading all this. It always appealed to me... but I never had the guts to buy. I'm a scaredy gamer. I couldn't even jump out in front of the T-Rex in the first Tomb Raider without shrieking.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would highly recommend it.

I'm also not great with scary games, but this one had me keep playing :D

12. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

you bunch of scardey cats. Then again I used to find the game FEAR genuinely petrifying. and Doom3 when it was a brand new game scared me half to death.

(i got metro 2033 on my steam with precisely 0 hours played, so I really ought to play that one and get it beat - HOPEFULLY with my gamepad :D)

Last edited: 20 May 2013
  13. David

I wouldn't call it a scary game - my idea of scary is the first F.E.A.R, SS2, Thief DS, Penumbra/Amnesia - but +1 to George's recommendation, well worth playing.

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

cool. The first is in the post. £8. Definitely worth a punt.

I found the original Doom terrifying. Let alone the later ones.

Can't bring myself to install Amnesia.

15. Stanley Tweedle

I used to play doom 3 with 3d glasses and fresnel lens. Still one of the scariest games for me.

Dead Space was also scary.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Deadspace was. Awesome sound as well.

17. David

I never did get round to finishing Dead Space, it seemed a bit slow to start though, iirc.

lp rob1 and Apophis54 like this.
  18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah. Was good with difficult settings turned up. Hardly any ammo... etc. Similar to Metro 2033 in that respect(I'd imagine). But yes... quite a slow start. Lots of being on your own in corridors.

19. dactone

dactone dact-one

I'm the same dude, never played with a mouse and keyboard with any of my games . I am using a tv+couch+pc setup . I don't get when people start bitching calling us ''idiots'',all i want to do is relax in front of my tv and play some games :p

20. Stanley Tweedle

I don't think people are calling you idiots... it's more the idea that a PC game should be released with auto aim enabled. It actually makes no sense. It's not an issue how you prefer to game. Option should be there for people to play in front of TV with controller or with mouse and keys. It's just that the majority will be playing the PC Last Light with mouse and keys and PC gamers generally don't take well to auto aim.