1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft bans netbooks with hybrid storage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jun 2009.

1. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

I think Microsoft is just trying to monopolize the damn netbook industry, which is illegal in the US to begin with... I just think its stupid, because XP is slow as crap on some netbooks with a z520 or N270 with 1GB mem. Why they are trying to run Vista, with no more than 2gb memory and an atom proccy is beyond me, other than to seriously piss off people. Vista on a sony p series lags like you would not beleive... so wtf microsoft.

2. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

woot! go linux!

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

If you don't want any MS OS on your netbook/laptop/PC but you got it pre-installed, just don't accept the EULA and you can get the money for your licence back from your retailer or MS. Easy, ain't it?

Now stop crying about big bad MS and just live with it. This won't change as long as 95% of the customers don't know what they're actually paying for in any PC related product.

4. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

I did it just a few days ago, build 7137 (which was released two or three days earlier), with a clean install on a fast RAID 0 array (and on a slow 1.8" hdd in my subnotebook). Drivers were newest from nVidia (made for 7) and native 7 drivers in the sub.
    Tested with every version of 3Dmark, Fallout 3, FSX, autoCAD. Boot time tested with a stopwatch - and yes, while 7 shows the desktop faster than XP it is still useless for at least 15 seconds, attacking hdd like mad. Software data encryption is ~10% slower.
    Since Vista, the drivers can't use HAL so everything is slower, from 3D to RAID (although not in my case as I use hardware controller), no matter how good the drivers are. nVidia drivers for Vista are pretty mature now and they still lose 5-7% to XP. And let me remind you that 7% is the difference between a fast GPU and twice as expensive GPU.

No, it ain't. I don't know how it's now in UK, but I asked about it in several countries in EU and while they said that I can disagree with MS EULA and install something else (obviously), they won't refund the licence. So basically if not for my friend in Sony that gave me my subnotebook and another notebook for free, without any OS, I wouldn't be able to buy any notebook (as I don't want to pay for something I don't like and use).
    Microsoft does exactly what Intel just got fined for - "buy our stuff or don't buy at all".

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well, buy your stuff in Germany then. :p
    I know for a fact it works that way in Germany because a friend of mine actually tried it. :thumb:

6. @mro

@mro MRO

Nice mala!

7. StevieC

StevieC Rising Fusion

*headdesk*

ughhhhh...

Keep it up, Micro$oft. You make the competition look more appealing every time you do stuff like this!

I don't see why you're all complaining about the company we all love to hate digging themselves deeper into this hole. We don't need to punish them, they're already doing that to themselves, if unwittingly. I don't approve of what they're doing, but I figure why gripe when we can just break out the popcorn and watch Microsoft do itself in?

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

It seems like a very daft ban! netbooks = Linux, ubuntu for sheer easy of use.

I have been running ubuntu on my laptop for weeks now, a change of OS actually helps me whind down in the evening as XP just reminds me of work, and considering i work from home i need that difference or i go mad!

9. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Tags: Add Tags