News Microsoft starts 'Vista Ready' programme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Apr 2006.

1. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

Im with everyone else on this just wait till vista is fully patched up then it will run ok and be as secure as xp but I think I will be using xp for a while yet.

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Until it stops consuming ~800 megs idle its not a viable operating system. I'll stick with XP for a few years thank you very much :p

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

beta testing vista here... that bloke whining about it not working on his "supplied rig"... supplied rig? Where's mine Microsoft?!

anyway it works nice and fast on my own computer, had a couple of issues which were resolved in a techchat

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

What are your system's specifications? What makes the OS nicer to use than Windows XP? What makes it worthwhile? We're dying to know. ;)

5. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Athlon64 3500+
    2gig RAM
    1x 6800gt w/ 256mb ram

I'm under an NDA for the most part but there are some stupid configurations that come as defaults, I can see a lot of the Bit-Tech regulars getting peeved at a fresh install. Although if you leave things at default you shouldn't be on Bit!

Build 5308 is the most stable by far, i'm missing the folder jump button a lot.. that little thing that takes you to the parent folder.. (bad explaination i know).

This current release also gives the options to install the other flavours of windows... previous incarnations have been stuck at ultimate.

The sidebars back, which i'm quite happy about.... i'm just rambling now, i'll discuss it more if people are interested. I'll check the rules about perhaps an artical for Bit or a discussion on the new discussion show over skype :D

6. spiral23

spiral23 What's a Dremel?

quote;..Sure, it will be probably as stable as XP (which I think is pretty good), with the possibility of explorer not being at the core of the OS making it more secure sounds good, but I would have to say the sole reason to get it is DX10, which is not why I want to be buying a new OS.

Good point bio;

DX 10 should not be overlooked it will be the biggest leap forward for gaming in years, it will allow for your Vcard to efficiently use sytem ram as well as its own memory allowing for HUGE textures, fair enough not good reason to rushh out for it when its available, we'll have to get like 8gb of ram / and new DX10 cards and wait for the software developers to actually write the games so its gonna be a slow process but it was the same when xp started, give it two years and we will all be lovin it. micromonopoly sad but true :yawn:

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I might switch to linux, just wish games were supported. Whole thing is just making my system look bad :(. I could stick with cs:s forever, so no loss not switching to vista for me.

8. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

XP Pro & Slackware are the ones for me (tho i quite like Kubuntu), however, if a decent Vista appears on Reading Uni's Acedemic Alliance (Free MS Software!) then il grab a copy.

Edit:

Reading the Vista features, i like the looking of the 'Networking Center' sounds cool/useful

@whoever said it: do by 'list view' you mean the folder view that i use all the time? that had better be in....

Last edited: 3 Apr 2006
  9. Petor

Petor What's a Dremel?

ok so im getting a laptop. its a 2ghz core duo, 2gb ram and a 7400 go nvidia Graphics. will that run the normal version of vista? or will i have to use the crappy one? ... becouse that isnt a low spec computer... :| i would be pretty pissed off (should be arriving tomorow ;))

10. das_mod

das_mod What's a Dremel?

at first i also thought vista was l337 to have but then i saw the req. specs and im like WTF :eyebrow: .....................
    so pretty much a p4 3.0 runs Win98 amazingly fast, XP very descent speed, so in theory the same machine will run Vista very sluggish ....
    :confused: i dont think i really want it .....
    if my machine can do many many things with a faster OS,... why make it bottleneck with a stuffed-up OS [​IMG]

11. fev

fev Industry Fallout

bad theory...

12. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

well it was the same when XP came out, none of the PCs then really supported it that well, howeve within 6months there were faster better PCs out that made it a far nicer OS to run. Sure keep your old pc running XP, however the next pc you get will be good enough to run Vista so why use XP?? a couple of years ago 256ram was standard. now its nearly 1gig (and pusing for 2gig for gaming rigs) graphic cards were 64meg on board ram, no SLi etc etc... of course the "current" rigs we all have suck with vista, just as 6 years ago our "current" rigs sucked at XP and were runnin 2k. Let the CPU makers and ram makers get into the Vista thing and you will see more powerfull kit comming out to allow you to run it.

I just hope my box (dual 3.2ghz xeon // 4 gig ram) can run it as i dont wanna upgrade till at least next summer -- stupid uni debts!

13. fev

fev Industry Fallout

ok this is annoying me why are people assuming their machines won't run it?!
    you "hope" your box with it's dual xeons can run it?
    Jesus man get a grip

14. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

LOL You're right on the ball.
    It's been said that history is destined to repeat itself, never have I seen such a better example in everyday life.
    The irony is that the same people complaining and vowing never to switch to Vista are the same folks who complained back when XP first came out and look at them now defending their XP like it was gold.
    These people need to record themselves everytime a new OS comes out and play it back every five years to realize how funny the whole situation is, I can gaurantee these same folks will be complaining in some forum somewhere 5 years later about not wanting to give up their precious Vista. :clap: People kill me LOL

15. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yeah, i found an old ComputerActive! magazine the other day, talking about the "new look Windows 95!!" features this that and the other, just looks dated and funny now :p

as for not trying things...il give it a fair chance...thats how i settled on Slackware for my Linux distro.

16. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

I want to upgrade soon and my dad keeps saying: wait till vista comes out so you know what you need. Well when the hell will I know what I need because im getting tired of waiting...

17. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Typo?

I just got a new laptop last year so I am set for the next four years. Windows Vista should be out by then, and the initial patches for immediate bugs should be available. I am set. :lol:

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I have every type of bluepeter badge somewhere (except gold :(), you may bow before me now. I don't see why people bought fake ones off eBay, I mean it's not very hard to get one.

I don't really care about this glass effect thing, I'll just revert back to the classic style OS if it's possible like I do in XP. DX10 is the main reason to get vista for me, but there are many ofther small improvements they've made.

19. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

It dosent look worth it, the most stable os I ever used was 98, all I had to do was keep my parents off of it. The only reason I run xp is games otherwise I would have gone 100% linux by now. Seeing as I probably cant get a dx 10 card why even bother. I understand fev is under a NDA but would like to talk to him about it a little, at this point it would take a lot to sway my opinion, at least its free through school if I do get it.

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Think i'll stick with 2k till some thing comes along to convince me other wise (whopping security hole that ms wont fix being the main concern). Most of the pc's in my house are *nix's any just my games box stilling fighting on with windows.

Tags: Add Tags