Other Microsoft Surface thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrorbyt, 19 Sep 2012.

1. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Yup, £400 without keyboard cover and £480 with. £560 for the 64GB.

Can't justify getting one or promoting it to anyone else at that price, £100+ too expensive imo.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Remind me again how much a 32Gb iPad3 is in the UK?

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The first Apple iPad sold for $499,-- in 2010. That's the 16Gb WiFi version. How many iPads have been sold today? Oh right, 84 million. Not bad for a device that people on this forum criticised for being overpriced and "not a real computer".

Now see the Surface: criticised for being overpriced and "not a real laptop". I think I see where this is going. :D

Most people have no clue about what it costs to make something that works well; where the money goes, what makes it a good device. They just buy the cheap plastic crap that the Windows market has been saturated with for years, and then lament that it doesn't work as well as an Apple device, does not look as good, and breaks down so easily. Such people also have no clue what sort of price people will pay for a quality device, because they never would.

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

£479. The exact same price as a 32GB Surface RT with the touch cover.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yeah, quality device... I am pulling my hair when my Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011 spins up the fan :D. But yeah, except that and the glassy display it's fine.

6. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

So is there an official UK price for the RT w/ cover?

7. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

£479 for 32GB and £559 for 64GB.

8. Nexxo

Exactly the same price as an iPad 32Gb and 64Gb respectively. See what they did there? :D

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Still think priced to high for Mass market adoption( and yes i know its same cost of ipad3 but an ipad2 can be had for £329 and is basically the same accept screen).we shall see either way by Christmas which i guess will be earliest we get any sales figures. What's considered a success iPad original sales were 300k ish on launch if Microsoft can get close to that in USA( was first released there) then it's doing pretty well. Hurry up with pro already.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm tempted to get one to play with, especially as I sold my first generation iPad whilst waiting for the rumoured iPad Mini. That said, where is the 16GB model? Making Surface at that capacity would have allowed them to have a model that actually undercut the iPad 3 price in terms of pure pricing (which is what the customer looks at, rather than specifications).

Bit disappointed the covers are that expensive though. £100 is enough to buy several bluetooth keyboards.

Time to wait for the reviews and a chance to look at what is really on offer.

11. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

"Most people have no clue about what it costs to make something that works well; where the money goes, what makes it a good device. They just buy the cheap plastic crap that the Windows market has been saturated with for years, and then lament that it doesn't work as well as an Apple device, does not look as good, and breaks down so easily. Such people also have no clue what sort of price people will pay for a quality device, because they never would. "

This is exactly my point, you're right, most people don't have a clue and such people never would pay this price. Was this tablet not meant to be targeted to 'most' people...

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Apple will soon have its press release to announce the iPad mini. For sure it will be cheaper than the iPad 3, and cheaper than the Surface RT. It will sound like a good deal at first.. but let's assume you want a cover.. a keyboard, and a media card reader of sorts. Add all these accessories, and you'll be up for a surprise.

And that is ASSUMING you get the Surface RT without a keyboard, and you get the fancy real keyboard cover and not the touch sensitive one. And, assuming the iPad mini has the same quantity of RAM and storage, you still have HALF of the Surface 3.

If you buy the Surface RT with the cover type bundle, you save even more than the above so the gap in price is a lot higher.

And if Apple cuts the RAM to 512MB, and 8GB of storage in the iPad mini. You can bet you'll see a lot of games having trouble to run, and only 8GB?! So not worth it.

Now of course the iPad mini will take the spot light and will out sale the Surface RT, because.. you know screw logic, it's Apple.

Anyway, on this thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=245678
    I compare the Surface RT, Pro and iPad 3 specs with a nice table, and present the Surface to those who don't know, or don't know the details

13. Nexxo

The iPad mini will sell on the back of the success and familiarity with the iPad and its ecosystem. However it will face tough competition from the Nexus 7 which is of comparable quality, with a few more features, at a significantly lower price.

Nope, it is aimed at the iPad demographic. It is Microsoft's way of upping the game for the Windows ecosystem manufacturers to compete in build quality with Apple.

14. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I want the pro!

15. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I'm a bit confused here as to who is contemplating the RT version?

The fact that it is limited is the thing that is turning me off from it - ideally I want a tablet that can do it all, which is precisely why I'm holding a candle for the Pro.

This is the problem I had with the iPad, it was expensive but limited (and I know the Pro will be significantly more, but it won't really be strangled by a cut down OS).

I currently have a Nexus 7 for my tablet duties (which I purchased) after giving back my iPad 2 at work.

RT seems too limited, especially if you just want to browse the web and send emails - this is where the Android Tabs come in to their own. However, if you want a tablet with some potency then I can see a real market for the Surface Pro.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Agreed goose, still don't see the point in these locked down tablets if your after a productivity device the current tablets are not it. iPad surface rt are basically the same device, with similar target market.

Goodbytes its sales / profit that matters in business nothing else, ask AMD or Rim how lack of sales is going. If the surface does not sell it will be dumped on scrap heap.

Another product also with a yearly upgrade cycle, think most people still have the orginal iPad or iPad 2 collecting dust, most won't buy another tablet pre x86 ones. ( myself included)

17. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

What's limited about it? I've seen no limitations listed anywhere, no more so than iOS and Droid have the same limitations.

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the only limitation is that flash based websites need to be on Microsoft's approved list, or flash won't work, not a bad thing, when you consider the threat flash places on machines.

the mail app included in windows rt/8 is adequate for the majority of people.

19. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I think it's limited in the sense that users will be getting a Windows tablet and will expect a full Windows experience, as opposed to a WindowsPhone 8 on roids experience, which RT will give them (and even then it won't be quite the same will it, because Windows Phone 8 will be compatible with the Windows 8 apps, not the Windows RT apps.....or have I got that wrong?

There's something more to this - Google are basically selling the Nexus 7 at cost to get market penetration, which they hope will give them increase profits in the long term. Microsoft could do the same here. I agree they aren't likely to sell it at a loss BUT they could do, fiscally, to get Windows 8 out there and help it gain traction. It'd be a small price to pay to get users on to the platform.

I'm genuinely surprised by all the negative reviews Windows 8 is getting as well, it's a bit different sure, but you can get to the Windows you know and love by a couple of clicks.....which is fine, right? I mean, if you're just after popping on to YouTube, checking your mail or browsing the web then the Metro apps are perfect for that?

If anything, I've found Windows 8 actually more intuative and quicker to use than Windows 7, which I adore!

20. rollo

rollo Modder

It's limited in the exact same way andriod and iOS is, you can not install any user made application unless they pass through Microsoft store, you can't side load apps same as iOS ,the base model does not come with a keyboard same as droid and iOS.

The thing that will annoy a lot of buyers they are charging £99 for a cover with keys on it, you can buy a Bluetooth keyboard for about £15 assuming It supports Bluetooth.

Waiting for pro as are many.