Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

That is correct J, i would've expected a quicker roll-out from MP but as stated they have to check their own server mod / wrapper works too i imagine!

I cant see how anyone can complain, the ping is awesome, the server faultless so far and it took the hammering of tnt party in its stride :D

2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Indeed, however I must inject something.
    When Canon, Al_pa_ca and I were conducting a certain experiment - for science obviously - involving approximately 10k TNT (I provided at least 4k TNT at three ocassions, but not all were placed), we did cause the server to stutter, and Canon did crash. It was a little weird though, because no-one actually set off the pile ... it seemed to reach critical mass instead, and thus self-detonated.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's what he said.

... i miss minecraft. Haven't played since we went commercial, i'm faithfully waiting for the bit-tech map.

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

*sobs*

As do I... It's ... It's been so long ... I can scarcely remember it ...

5. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Sure sure it did...i bet you (though i am not pointing fingers) canon set it off by accident, or without noticing he had.

Ever notice when someone sets off tnt it dissapears to you the viewer, and the land just dissapears after the explosion? When you set off the tnt you see the explosion animation and everthing else, such a mass of tnt would be viewed by the person that set it off, the viewers would just see a hole appear.

I bet canon set it off by accident and crashed from his java client trying to render the 10k tnt blasts ;)

Still bravo that it only crashed one person!

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Nooo, no finger pointing there hm? :D

Ah yes, that is a good point. I was too far away at the time to have set it off, so I just watched a very large hole forming in the world as well as what looked like a series of lightning flashes in the distance ... inside the mountain. It was deeply satisfying to behold, yet somewhat disppointing that we were unable to completely fill the cave - not that that was our original intention necessarily - before detonation.

However, Canon stated that he was on his way outside to take a photo, whilst al_pa_ca was busy stacking tnt. I wonder what al saw...

Possibly...

And yeah, kudos to the server. However, it did stutter for quite a while, and I experienced some severe chat lag - comments taking minutes to appear.

7. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I just got an email back, and they said they'd fix 'er up today. Don't get your hopes up.

Things should be smoother after the weekend. There's an i-series on AFAIK.

And yes they have to update manually, everything runs through shared backends and stuff.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  8. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Awesome.
    That leaves only one question unanswered; how are we doing with regards to the bit-tech map?

9. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Well that was the ticket I sent. I'm hoping someone puts some effort into fixing it. Works fine on everyone else's server / system. :(

10. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

That's the most Genius idea EVER. :rock:

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Thanks. I quite liked the idea myself. :D

On another note; the server is still not updated... *checks watch*

12. Rat1sully

Rat1sully At Least Skt478 Never Broke

as long as that spot isn't where i'm going to build petra!

13. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

14. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

What OS do Multiplay run? If it's Linux/Unix, could this be a permissions issue with the world files? The world files have been swapped about like sweets, so it could cause some screwy permissions when transferred to a *nix box. (cd "world", chmod -R a+x 777 (I think) - this is why I kept saying that SSH access would be useful).

Could even be a permissions issue with a Windows box, but it's less likely.

In the mean time, could someone with the world do an updated carto? Would be good to see just how much work has been done since the last one. I don't mind doing this myself, if someone wants to send it over...

EDIT: On a tangent... Rogan, I opened the link in your sig, expecting to find some custom build or crazy cooling project. Instead I laughed my ass off, and made the decision never to buy a classic Land Rover!

Last edited: 12 Nov 2010
  16. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Not sure this is it - the world unrar'd perfectly on my linux box - no permissions changes required. Mind you, they seem to be running a funny set up with clanforge etc, so could still be worth checking.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm willing to consider any crazy idea at this point... Single player just isn't the same!

18. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

As we wait with bated breath for the map to come alive once again, I am wondering; Joe, how's the article coming? I thought it was due yesterday.

19. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

i saw kind of the same but impressive nonetheless.and there where flashes of lightning (i guess where the light-calculating thing did not keep up with the rate of blocks disappearing.) (no tnt animations for me neither, but i think it was more impressive without:p) standing in a cave getting bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger... strange you could get so excited from disappearing blocks...:D

edit: what does happen if you touch journeyers lever?

Last edited: 12 Nov 2010
  20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

It was a good show indeed. :D
    I'd like to repeat it though, and this time the get the cave properly filled, but I'm afraid the mountain we used is mostly ruined now. Anyhow, that means one of two things must have happened. Either Canon accidentally triggered it, or the pile did indeed reach critical mass. We may never know...

Ahh... well, that's a good question isn't it. ;)
    Let's just say that there's a reason for the bunker and the glass...

Edit: Also... that's what she said...