1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress MiniMe - Smallest (ever?) Watercooled mITX PC - 22/03/2010 COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by oliverw92, 27 Aug 2009.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There's PSUs for SFF allready, like this one from SeaSonic -> http://www.seasonic.com/product/ipc_1u.jsp

This would fit actually in a 20cm cube with all the other stuff.

EDIT: Had a couple of minutes in SketchUp, arranging some components within a 20cm cube. The white box, is the size of the PSU mentioned above.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Aug 2009
  2. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

Hmm interesting. What size rad is that? 2x80? What would have better cooling, 2x 80 or 1x 140?

The 1u psu's, i only gain 50W with that. In all honesty i dont think i would gain much with that, and i would end up with a layout that is quite hard to work with.

3. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Meh, they're quite a bit bigger than these, don't you think?

Good for up to 150W, I'm using a 120W on mine right now, and it's more than enough. Mind you, I'm using integrated graphics, but it's enough for a low power media box... especially sine it'll be going in one of these! :D

But now I kinda want to WC it... in a really small case...

4. oliverw92

Ahah i love the idea of the beerkeg! Can i help you empty it first?

I have decided to stick with my idea of the 200W psu. Since i am not overclocking, and may even underclock, i think it will be fine. Especially if i run fans etc off of the power brick directly.

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Your chosen PSU does not have 200 Watts oliverw92. Who ever told you so has no clue what he's talking about.
    The 200 Watts are peak current, that can only be delivered for very short periods of time.

The SeaSonic has 250 Watts sustained current and 326 Watts peak.

Seriously, I would suggest not to use the picoPSU in your setup there. It'll die pretty fast.

The moment you press your power-button all of your hardware will draw maximum power, and that's more then 200 Watts I can guarantee you, with your chosen components.

It's really a big problem you're facing there :worried:

And yes the rad in my sketch there is a 2x 80mm.

oliverw92 and Mach like this.
  6. oliverw92

Hmm that is a very good point. I shall sleep on this. Do you know of any smaller 1u psu's?

And would a 2x80mm cool better than a 120mm?

7. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

I'm doing a similar mod, not going to your extremes but small (30x26x15). I believe Duniek @ OC has pushed the limits on small tho. :)

I'm benching now with a PW-200-V DC/DC converter and an XBOX 360 PSU. I went through several to find one that worked, some go red when power gets switched on, and others weren't silent.

My max draw is 145W via a kill-a-watt meter but I don't have the MCP 350 pump hooked up yet. I'm guessing max 165-170W at finish.

Here's the part that may help. I'm using a 9600GT LP LP which is supposed to only draw 75W max (IIRC) due to PCIe restrictions.

I'd also be interested in your results underclocking/undervolting as Zotac has said that its not supported but I haven't seen anyone try.

Link to worklog start

Edit: After jrs77's warning, I found info that says the PW-200-V is limited to 144W max and 162W peak on the 12V. Going to be close, :)

I'll be watching...

Last edited: 28 Aug 2009
  8. oliverw92

Thanks for the info. So i think that PSU is going to be out of the question then!

I will get sketchup running today and see if i can do a nice revision with a 1u PSU.

9. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

is that with all the planned fans? maybe 1x140 rather than 2x80?
    have you undervolted the CPU? might help.

my other idea is one i might use when i build my pc in a screen idea - external psu i hide below the desk

10. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Good start, but when it comes to small HttPC is still my favourite.

Keep it up!

11. oliverw92

@Confusis, interesting idea with external psu. The problem is cables though, you would need such a massive amount going into the PC it would make it a bit annoying.

Would a 140mm rad cool better than 2x 80mm? Or the other way around?

@antihero, thanks! And my that HttPC is tiny! Wow!

12. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

Assuming they have equal fin density and depth, their cooling potential is proportional to their cross-sectional surface area.

140mm x 140mm = 19600 mm2
    80mm x 160mm = 12800 mm2

The 140.1 has a greater surface area so will likely have greater cooling potential.

13. oliverw92

what about the fact that there will 2 fans on the 80mm x2 and only 1 on the 140mm?

14. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

Generally speaking, the 140mm will move more air and provide better cooling.

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Depends too on the CFM ratings of the parts in question and if they are under-volted for quietness. 2 x 80mm by 56mm fans flow a lot. Bigger fans flow potentially more. It would be nice to see a real world test of both configurations.

How much heat does a 775 processor put out? Stock? Overclocked? Underclocked?

john

16. oliverw92

I wish i knew about the heat, could help with predicting certain things.

56mm fans are out of the question, i highly doubt i could fit them in :p I am thinking a 140mm is going to be my best option if i can squeeze one in.

17. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Well my idea was to (somehow) condense the cables down to the bare minimum (albeit with thicker gauge wires) as in if it was possible to change all the black cables to one thicker one?

19. oliverw92

I don't think that would work. If you didn't need them all, why would manufacturers put them there?

20. asura

asura jack of all trades

Redundency? Remember, there's only 3 wires going into the PSU. With the earth/ground there shouldn't be any harm in having one large cable splitting, and I can't think of any resason not to do it with the rest too (on a per rail basis) though I could easily be wrong, little brother took electronic engineering I took architecture... But having an external psu sort of ruins the effect of the thing; if you're going to have the psu external, why not the pump, or the rad, or, or, or. Where does one draw the line?

By-the-by, have you concidered one of these or something like it as a meens to cramm stuff in, not being limited by where Zotec want's the PCIeX16 slot to be could help?

Regards,
    Alex.