1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Monitor Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyndre, 28 Jun 2011.

1. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Well still slogging through building my pc but now starting to think I need to really do my new GPU's justice. So I could really do with some advice as all the articles I've read give very conflicting advice.

What I've Got
    2 x 1.5GB EVGA GTX580 hydrocopper 2 in SLI

What I currently use
    LG W2261VP monitor

What I want to gain
    Super crisp images and fluid gameplay but with a definate emphasis on spectacular sharp visuals

Budget
    Upto £700 and no more

What I'm considering
    Dell U2711 27" Monitor but very mixed views on gaming response time and also reliability.

Anyway appreciate any advice as always.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Bit Tech gave the U2711 a good review. I know I'd get one if I had the money.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You could probably grab a 3008WFP while you're at it too. Or that NEC 30".

4. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

5. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Yeah I actually read that thread just before posting and was 'wow' it looks too good to be true. Doesn't say what revision is it though.
    As far as I know the revision is upto A06.

What makes me hesitant is I bought a 46" Bravia KDL 46V3000 based on online reviews and ratings. It cost a fortune and tbh I am still a little underwhelmed as the image sharpness and clarity isn't what I hoped for at such a price.

So obviously I'm nervous about high priced products not living upto their spec and promise. Especially when I go into shops and see crystal clear images on display screens.

6. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I have bought from this guy before and hes really really good. I got 3 24" dell monitors from him that were refurb's and they were pristine. Could of passed them as brand new easy. Free postage too!

7. Bozwell

Bozwell What's a Dremel?

Monitor response time means a lot less to gaming than some 'experts' would have you believe. 5+ years ago there were big differences, but these days response times are rarely inadequate.

I've only seen good reviews of the Dell U2711 and if I could afford it I'd buy one.

8. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

u2711 Cheesecake

fantastic monitor.

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I've got a 4 year old Dell 3007wfp, and it's the best screen i've ever had the pleasure to use. It also managed to get the best scores from any review of the time. It's fair to say, 4 years on, the U2711/U3011 are the best of the best.

Sam

10. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Cheers guys, I think I'm reassured enough to go with the u2711. It does look awesome despite my bad history with Dell :p *cough cough* XPS700.....

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ok well your Bravia is a Sony product. Like Apple, and many stuff you buy, you pay a lot for the name. Now I can't comment what was wrong with your TV... (color calibration?!), as I never looked into TV's. But, another point is that people rate on thing based on their previous experience. So it might be amazing screen.. but compared to what? a 100$ Acer computer monitor?

Now, the U2711 is an impressive monitor, and what makes it shine out of the box (well almost), is that it comes with 2 pre-calibarted color profile: sRGB and Adobe RGB (report of the calibration is provided... keep that report in the case you need to return it for wtv reason, as it's for the monitor, and Dell will charge you a restock fee if you don't have it, to recalibrate the monitor). Now it's not the bets of the best calibration that exists for a professional to be useful (professionals uses their own color calibrator), but it's a excellent start in seeing amazing picture quality.

Once setup, where you pick the best color profile to your liking, if pictures or web browser look weird, check Windows color profile setting. You may need to load or unload the monitor ICC color profile. (In the case of the U2410, if you use the Adobe RGB, you need to unload it, and use the default sRGB profile). Of course, you need to restart your program to take effect after you change the color profile.

Be sure to connect your monitor via Display Port or DVI to your computer (avoid HDMI and VGA, as well VGA is analogue, and HDMI doesn't assure color accuracy).

I don't know about retailers, and Dell in your region, but Dell Canada and U.S, allows you 21 days to return the monitor, and they pay returns shipping (they e-mail you a prepaid shipping label which you just need to print and put on the monitor box) if your not happy with the monitor. But don't assume it's the same everywhere, if you are outside of U.S or Canada, So if you plan to order it from Dell, see with them their policy. Same for retailers, if you go that path.