1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Motherboard whining

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yakideo, 26 Dec 2010.

?

Does your motherboard sing for you?

1. Yes, please make it stop!

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No, it's silent as a mouse.

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. yakideo

yakideo Oh cool its bendable!...

After doing a bit of research I found I'm not alone with a whining motherboard. It seems that it's quite common for Intel i-mobos to make whining noise or worse a tinnitus noise. Apparently power saving features make some motherboards sing for free. :naughty:

Anyone else having this issue or can shed more light onto it?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

In the BIOS:
    - Disable C1E
    - Disable C3/C6/C7
    You don't need the above technologies, as power is not a problem, and Windows 7 does a great job in adjusting the CPU speed based on your needs.

If the above doesn't help, than it's just a motherboard capacitor that is miss manufactured. Sadly, most electronic manufactures considers this normal, as it doesn't effect the product performance, or lifespan, and "few people can hear it" (I put that in quote as I don't believe this claim). All you can do, if that is the problem, is to exchange the motherboard with a different one (same or different model) and hope for the best.

Solid capacitors based motherboard solves the problem... but it might still occur (strange, I know). The problem can be caused by a different component, or cheap motherboard circuit design. As Intel prohibits any modification on their power management technology circuit, manufactures can't do anything, solid capacitors or not), and this problem affect all Intel laptops (core 2 Duo and up) and now desktop Core i series. My vote is on Intel.

Another problem, is that this sound is hard to identify it's source.. you might THINK it's the motherboard but it could be your PSU that just doesn't like the system configuration, or your GPU.

One thing I can assure you, is that PSU (even super high end ones), and GPU manufactures don't have a lab that check for this stuff. But if more people demand this (please contact your motherboard manufacture in placing a suggestion or comment or tech support and place comment on their forum), to get your voice heard, so that ONE DAY, MAYBE, if we are lucky, they get on to it. The problem from high pitch whine noise from circuit boards is really not new. It's just that, we had loud fans that usually covers the problem, or the power passing through component was not enough to output a whine noise that can be heard outside your case (or electronic product).

MrTeal likes this.
  3. yakideo

yakideo Oh cool its bendable!...

I've been in contact with Intel and they claim they never heard of such a problems before. According to Gigabyte disabling C1E (among other power saving features) solves the problem. They don't acknowledge there is a problem, yet they have a solution for it. Disabling C1E affects the CPU power regulation and it's probably where the fault is.

Unfortunately this problem does not only affect Gigabyte boards. I've heard this noise from Asus boards as well.

Other funny things are when one scrolls with the mouse wheel and the motherboard makes this high pitch noise.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2010
  4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Gigabyte knows the problem, and if you have a look at their forum, they are trying to find a workaround with the BIOS level with the UD3R model. They said, that if they are able to get any progress, they would apply the fix on all their motherboard. So, they (and the only manufacture) are at least trying.

Correct as it's an Intel design flaw. even if motherboard manufacture CAN do something, they can't as they have no documentation on the chipset or processor... it might break or play with the system performance, or be incompatible with some software that might be suing some special feature or hardware.

Does this happen everywhere? Or only when your surf the web or something? Also be sure that your Mic and Line-In ports of your onboard sound card is muted. It could be interference Doing that usually solves the problem. If it's program specific, then it could be your GPU or power supply (PSU). In wish case, something might be able to be done.

Intel KNOWS the problem.. people were complaining since Core 2 Duo... this is NOT NEW. But Intel choose to ignore the problem. Do people still buy their CPU? Yes, so why bother. It's not like their is any genuine competition. The only reason why we got the Core 2 Duo and not stuck with another super aged old P4, already was because AMD pulled a miracle in releasing a CPU (Socket 939, AMD Athlon 64 X2), which it's mid range morel massacre like no tomorrow Intel fastest CPU available which cost more, AND was dual core and 64-bit, to make mater worse, especially if you had a 64-bit OS. Maybe if AMD releases a few miracles like this again, and people demand for good circuit design, Intel will actually give a c** and fix the problem.

I like you, fall on the same situation. I have an Intel CPU on my laptop, and as it does the noise, it's minimal. I was happy, as the CPU performance was not what concerned me the most, and had no choice as it was the only laptop that really fitted my needs. But I did not expect it, to occur on a desktop. This might be my last Intel CPU I get, if Intel doesn't solve the problem, and AMD can release something.. interesting.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2010