Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

It'll end up as a write off - true damage value doesn't sound anywhere near £2.7k though. You could potentially buy it back (20% of the value is typical) or just have a reduced pay-out and keep the salvage, and fix it yourself for a heck of a lot less, assuming you don't mind it not being yellow

Sounds like a good idea...?!

Last edited: 24 Jun 2014
  2. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I've been thinking of other colours anyway; I think Matte grey with flourecent yellow wheels would look good, as well as a motocross headlight, but we'll see what happens.

It wasn't, it was stupid, but I was pissed off and soaking wet, probably the worst mindset to be riding in, since I didn't give a **** and just wanted to get home.

3. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Hey Dodo. Try compressing the forks with the front wheel against a wall without using the brakes and see if there's a notch/clunk. I've got exactly the same thing on my SV650 and it doesn't 'clunk' when I don't use the front brake but does when I do. I've had it checked out by both the dealer I bought it from and my good local mechanic and neither said there was anything wrong. HOpe you can get it sorted mate. SV's aren't too expensive to fix up yourself if you've got the tools, as I've found. And they're almost impossible to kill! :thumb:

Also, SV parts are a dime a dozen, so as long as the frame and everything big and important checks out ok, is there a reason why you couldn't grab the parts yourself and do her up? (I don't know of the wisdom of this as I've never crashed, but it seems logical to me. Maybe the more experienced riders here are better to advise on that, but that's just my thoughts.) :)

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Floating discs moving on their bobbins

5. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Thanks guys.

The insurer said their repairer would try and negotiate with the garage to see if that figure can come down; I don't particularly want the bike written off. Mind you, I can see the benefit. Write it off, settle for £2500 or so, take the bike back (if RTT's correct on the 20%) for £500, take off all the expensive bits, then sell it on for profit. Then re-invest in an even nicer bike.

Not sure what to make of it. Only time will tell.

I'm not sure I want to start repairing stuff myself though. I am the mechanically incompetent fool who sprayed chainlube over his rear tyre, after all!

6. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Remember that the log book will show it has been written off = value plummet

7. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

yep. if CAT D, then £1-1.5k would be reasonable.

I dunno. I still have a vague hope in the back of my mind that they'll repair it.

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Make it a track bike? You can't go wrong with an SV to start learning to ride on track.

In other news, I'm in Spain! Rode the N-135 from France into Spain earlier and had a blast; not the most scenic of roads but endless bends for miles.

[​IMG]

I did 500 miles yesterday on the motorway and the XJ6 handled it perfectly. It never ceases to amaze me what this bike can do despite its lowly spec.

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Oooh - what's your planned route ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I'm making it up as I go along to be quite honest, my ultimate aim is to be in Gibraltar for Saturday as I start work there next week. I've not decided if I want to take the coast or head more towards Madrid, it's a hard life!

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Say hello to my new toy! 2006 CBR600F

YES!

[​IMG]

12. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Ooo, very smart :)

13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Good to be back on 2 wheels

Re: Spain - I've only really done the North West section - Picos de Europas - and all of that is excellent.

Afraid I can't advise on other areas, but I've always been told the run down the centre is a bit dull, and advised to stick closer to the coast - that said - no actual experience, and I've always found one mans "dull" is another mans "vast area of landscape seemingly purposefully designed to provoke introspective thought".

14. RTT

RTT #parp

Cracking bikes, Julian :thumb:

15. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Nice Julian! Let me know if you want to head out for a ride! Would be great! You still got my number?

16. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I believe so. I don't get the bike until next week. RTT can be dragged from under his rock too I reckon.

17. RTT

RTT #parp

I sure can :thumb:

18. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Well I sent you a message earlier so you should have it. I'm around until just before the 12th July and then I'm in the north for a month or so. Just shout. I guess you two work but any day is pretty much good for me, with the exception of Sunday, though afternoons are ok. :)

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Depending where and when, I might be able to come along too!

Probably going to go down to the showroom this tuesday for a cbr 125.

20. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

There have been a lot of wide open spaces, I quite like them, but I prefer my tyres to be round and not square! I'm currently in Murcia and going to make a start down the coast tomorrow.

Got a tad soggy earlier too, bike's a complete state now :lol: