1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

For the price you can't get a better bike brand new. Very easy to ride and great fun, definitely a good first big bike.

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Been keeping away from bikes lately as I would just sell up all my pc stuff and get full time into bikes again. But yesterday went to gym and then when finished went back to my car and parked next to my car was a brand spanking new R1 in a dark blue. Like sex on wheels she was gorgeous. Why oh why did I have to see it.

3. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

The times they are a changing..

4. RTT

RTT #parp

I think I agree with this. The price of them is unbelievable. They look good too

5. RTT

RTT #parp

~130 miles of B road thrashing today plus the obligatory A483 :D

[​IMG]

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Oooh, I did the A483 the other week for the first time, outstanding road! The Newtown end is seriously challenging as well, it's one of the best British roads I've ridden without a doubt.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

Absolute corker of a road but watch out for plod :)

8. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

My fave road of all time - but don't tell everyone, the cops will pay it more attention.

And the reason I don't like Harleys too much - and yes, I have ridden a few - and yes, in the States - is the engines are bloody awful - an electric one on the other hand, now that seems interesting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jun 2014
  9. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I think my favourite road in the UK has to be the the Black Mountain Pass in the Brecon Beacons, also known as the A4069. Heading south on it is my favourite direction.

[​IMG]

10. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Wow the 283 looks a nice road. I've been that way as I've spent a lot of time near Newtown over the years, but I may have to take a trip there one day. It's a shame I'm so far away really! RTT you still up for meeting up sometime before I head back north? :)

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

35mpg tops. Lack of fairing - the windspeed at 80mph was pretty ridiculous. I want to do Europe on whatever I buy, and while it has a nice riding position, it struck me more as an awesome Sunday bike that you can track.

Considering a blackbird now...

13. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Considering I've mistaken a Blackbird for an RR model CBR because of the way it sounded, went and was being chucked around I don't think you could go far wrong!

14. RTT

RTT #parp

If you're in the area, do it (then hit some B roads :D)

Yep - can't do this weekend though (well, maybe Sunday!) :blah:

Keeps your licence in check though - and your neck/shoulders soon learn to compensate :D So actually, no it doesn't keep your license in check - ignore that. Europe would probably be a ball ache though (literally and figuratively). Maintenance is also a major pain in the wallet - servicing is regular, tricky and super expensive due to how long it takes to pull them apart, plus they drink a litre of oil for roughly every 1k miles, and they don't run on typical 10/40, oh no, it has to be 10/50... oh and they eat tyres for breakfast. I could go on. In fact, I shall - they are total thief magnets. Exhaust seals regularly get eaten by the lovely popping and burbling on deceleration. Water pump seals are known to be dodgy and clutch slave cylinders fail often. So worth it though ;) 35 mpg isn't right though; that lump will do 45 on a run, 35 only if you're absolutely ragging the tits off it 100% of the time - oh, wait...

Speaking of MPG , I actually flicked into live mpg mode on my bike and at 5k rpm in 6th, 62mph, I was getting 61mpg apparently. Not bad

Last edited: 23 Jun 2014
  15. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

And you tried to argue they are practical?! :p

Think I've found a CBR600 that's perfect so I may be sorted by the weekend :)

16. RTT

RTT #parp

Yeah. Definitely practical. You just have to ignore all of the above stuff. :worried: :D

17. RTT

RTT #parp

:D

18. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Just got the estimate back from the garage for the SV...

£2782. FFS.:miffed:

Hopefully, Hopefully they don't right it off. It's declared value was £3000, so there's that.

So now I'm thinking what's next if/when they write it off?

19. RTT

RTT #parp

What's the actual damage?

20. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Bashed tank, cracked rear panel. Clocks broke. Other minor scuffs and dings, such as ASV levers, rearsets, clutch perch. grab rail as well. Not actually read the estimate, but I suspect there could be damage to the forks; before riding it home I bounced it up and down a bit, there was a definite notch/clunk as the forks were compressed. (Still did 80mph plus on the way home)

I think the biggest expense is because of the colour; garage said they'd never get panels in the Yellow, since it wasn't a UK colour, so they'd have to buy new panels, and then get every coloured part of the bike painted so it's all the same colour.