1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I suspect there's a significant annual spike in bikes needing an MOT in May, before their owners head off to the Isle of Man later this week.

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Thank you, yeah I've had it for just over a year now.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not just that, but it's typically the time that people start to dig the bikes out of the garage and start firing them up for the first time in 6 months.

IanW likes this.
  4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yep. That would do it alright.
    My work colleague is trying to get his Triumph ready to catch the ferry to IoM at stupid o'clock Friday morning.
    Over the bank holiday he managed to free off the locked back brake, but his bike has now forgotten all about gears above first! :wallbash:

5. Weekly_Estimate

Really enjoying the motorcycle, the social aspect, bike nights, group rides, random biker interactions and such it’s done a world of good for my mental health. I think in the past 22 days of ownership I’ve put around 600 miles on it and met tons of new people/friends.

The soul destroying bit I find is just thinking it’s going to be stolen all the time, fair enough it’s what fully comp insurance is for, I pay £260 a month for the luxury, not including tracker monthly fees, cctv, the outlay for the other security north of £700, I feel like I can’t leave it alone at the gym because it’ll get thrown into a van, it can’t be left outside a supermarket… It has no storage so lugging a large chain around seems impossible.

Obviously the insurance helps, but if it gets stolen I’ve got 3 other policies which will go through the roof next year and the bike will probably become uninsurable. It’s rather annoying that we live in a world full of scumbags and we can’t just have nice things.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As much as you love it, I'd find that exhausting, have you considered buying something less valuable and desirable for scum?

That, or move of course :D

7. Weekly_Estimate

Another motorcycle?! That’s a fantastic idea, I’ll keep my eyes open for something less appealing.

8. Weekly_Estimate

Did a 280 mile ride the other day with a very nice bunch of bikers, my back was in absolute pieces, think I can appreciate cruisers a bit more now. I did want to do the groats to lands end, but that's not going to happen on a sports bike.

Also fitted a tail tidy, which was easier then I expected! headers next!
    [​IMG]

lakisss, Spanky and Byron C like this.
  9. Krikkit

Can definitely see why nakeds have taken off - all the madness, none of the scrunching :D

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

11. keef247

keef247 Modder

That colour scheme is bad fkin ass mate! And I'm not even much of a bike person but I love this!

mrlongbeard likes this.
  12. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Quick question. I have a KTM 390 Duke which is up on paddock stands. The front wheel doesn't rotate easily and only spins about 1/2 turn when you manually spin it. It feels as the the pads are touching the disc slightly. Is this normal?

13. Krikkit

Sounds like the calipers aren't quite lined up correctly, does it have a radial-mounted caliper? (I'm assuming it does). The workshop manual will have a procedure (which you should follow, especially torque settings), but roughly it means loosening the caliper bolts slightly, then holding the brake on while nipping up and then torquing the bolts back down - this makes sure the pads are perpendicular to the disc face.

Byron C likes this.
  14. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

That sounds like an easy thing to try. I do have a Torque Wrenches but it hasn't been calibrated for many years so that's my first task

15. Krikkit

Unless it's been submerged in seawater it'll be close enough - torque wrenches are very durable under sensible conditions, unless you're building something with incredibly tight tolerances you don't really need to worry. All workshop manuals are +/- 10% assumed variation anyway. The only thing I would caution is that if a bolt says it should be greased it should be, if it's not greased then *don't* add grease, or you seriously over-tighten the fastener if you use a torque setting.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

left one, if you have big fat foot like me

18. Weekly_Estimate

I'm with this guy, but I also have pasty feet!

Was planning to get out today, pulled the extension cord out, ready to charge the bike battery, it started! good to go! nope my cars battery which was blocking it in was dead so spent all day charging that battery instead.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2024
  19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Anyone need some motorcycle jeans? https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.p...rcycle-jeans-40-waist-long-inside-leg.386703/

I'll just quote the whole post, to save you a click :grin:

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

Found the video from when I fitted the ART pipe to my old GK76a, needless to say the "not for road use" label got....scuffed off.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/R8IG_Vbt0NQ

Bike is currently laid up needing a new set of forks and left hand mirror, all of which are quite difficult to find now which is a shame as it may be my favourite bike to date, despite a tremendous attempt at killing me.

[​IMG]

edit: youtube shorts don't embed? I'm getting old.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2024