1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Motorola Edge 40 Neo Mini-Review

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Jan 2024.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As @Arboreal and @bawjaws asked, here are Thoughts about the Motorola Edge 40 Neo - written as I'm unboxing the thing and setting it up, so forgive the stream-of-consciousness approach.

First: there's a lot of eco-cred here, all of which is ruined by the fact it's... y'know, a smartphone, full of mined minerals and nasty chemicals and stuff. The packaging is plastic-free and printed with soy ink, the carbon is "offset," the rear is decorated in vegan leather, and it's bundled with a bio-plastic plant-based case from something called "agood company." Which would have been nice to know before I ordered my own case for the thing.

As well as the phone and case you get a pokey-stick for SIM tray removal, USB C-to-C cable, and a 68W rapid charger. Which is good, considering this thing's priced at the bottom end of the market for specs. Little reference sheet, bright-red pamphlet about the case, another pamphlet about the carbon offset.

Size-wise, it's the same height as the Nokia 7.2 it replaces but a bit narrower. Thinner and lighter, too, but that comes at a cost: there's no 3.5mm jack, just USB Type-C. Sad times.

Also, and I'm kicking myself for not realising this sooner, no microSD Card slot. Just one nano-SIM, no dual-SIM either. I've always put microSDs in my phones, since it was an option. I was planning to shove the one from the Nokia, which has dual SIM slots and a dedicated microSD slot, in this, but I guess it's not happening. At least it's got 256GB internal storage!

Setup is your standard Android affair, nothing noteworthy there: have your new and old devices on, shove 'em together, watch as Google could transfer the applications directly from one to the other but doesn't and instead canes your battery downloading and installing them from Google Play instead. Oh, and it prompts to open the file manager when you connect 'em - you just ignore that and wait for it to realise what you're doing.

Little annoying to poke the keyboard when it's sat flat on a desk, 'cos the camera bump sticks out on one side - so it's rocking back and forth as you're typing. Less of a problem on the Nokia 'cos the bump was dead centre horizontally. Not a problem for handheld use, 'course.

pOLED display on the Motorola has better viewing angles than the LCD (I assume) on the Nokia. Warmer colour temperature, too, though I'm assuming that's adjustable once I'm past the setup stage. I think there's supposed to be stereo speakers on the thing, too, but if there's one on the top it's behind a TINY pin-prick hole in the case.

We're at the actually-copying-stuff stage of the setup process now, and it looks like it arrives with 189GB free. That's... woof, a *lot* of the 256GB vanished by default. Should still be plenty for my needs, the Nokia only had 64GB, but still. Ouch.

Dunno what ^ that was about, 'cos I've installed all my stuff and it says I've got 221GB free now.

Woo, I can actually choose DuckDuckGo as my default search engine! Couldn't do that in Android 11 on the Nokia - so I had a useless Google search bar at the bottom of every home screen and my actual search bar at the top of my main one.

Through-screen fingerprint sensor's like proper magic. Never used one of those before. Really responsive, going by how quickly it was picking things up during finger registration: you poke the part of the screen with the icon on it and a bright light shines through. Amaze.

Some bloatware: ignoring the standard Google stuff, Motorola's added: Opera, TikTok(!), LinkedIn, Booking.com, and Weather. I'll bin those off once setup's finished. Got about two minutes left on the data transfer now... Oh, and it looks like you can use the Motorola to charge stuff - at least, the Nokia's stealing juice from it!

No, Motorola, I would not like to "join millions of Motorola fans" in receiving marketing notifications.

Nor would I like to give you my email.

Display refresh rate is up to 144Hz... but only if you *lock* it on 144Hz. By default, it's on "Auto" - which only dynamically adjusts it up to 120Hz. Which is... fine, I don't need 144Hz. You can also lock it to 120Hz or 60Hz.

Oh, good, you can uninstall the bloatware apps, you don't have to just disable 'em. Oh, but it's adding more even as I'm removing the ones setup warned me about: Temu, "Dice Dreams" whatever the hell that is, Facebook, Royal Match just appeared... c'mon, Motorola, I know you have to subsidise the cost of the hardware somehow, but I'd happily pay an extra fifty quid or so for you not to do this.

"We personalised your device with a few selected apps," a notification from "MotoApps" says. Yeah, well, don't. Chuffer.

Christ, there are SO MANY services which don't store their credentials in the proper Android place so you have to log in to 'em all manually. This is taking absolutely forever. Bah.

Still not done. Guh.

Christ, more bloatware. Logged in to Xbox Gamepass and "Moto Gametime" popped up. "Gametime brings your games together with rich content from the gaming community." NOPE. Thankfully you can disable it in the "Moto" app.

Okay, I think we're getting somewhere. Now to install all the apps from F-Droid that don't get automatically copied across...

Phone's down to 14% battery, but that's no real indicator of lifespan - it's been working hard this afternoon!

Right, I need to crack on with paid work now. Camera tests will have to wait for later. So far, though, I'm pretty pleased: it's good hardware. The bloatware can do one, but the hardware's nice.

EDIT:
    Doesn't look like it's got the December 2023 security update yet - it's on November and says it's the latest. Bit slack, that, but hopefully it'll pop up at some point.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2024
    adidan, Arboreal and bawjaws like this.
  2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

To be honest, I almost always use a different launcher (Nova iirc) and the first thing I do with it is banish the Google search bar to the netherworld forever. Hate the search bar.

Good to hear the in-screen fingerprint reader is decent, as quite often they are mince. One of the selling points of my Pixel 4a was the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone which is really handy when you're holding the phone (but really annoying when it's on the desk :D )

The 40 Neo really does have solid specs for the price. Amazing what you can get for that sort of money these days. I bought my eldest a Motorola G31 last year as her first phone, and for the price (£100) it's really impressive.

Arboreal and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, it seems really responsive. Even works from off screen-off - just mash yer digit where you remember the sensor being and the phone turns on and unlocks. Neat!

Oh, and there's a trick to using the behind-screen sensors: register your thumb as well as your finger, then you can unlock it one-handed easily!

Arboreal and bawjaws like this.
  4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Just to check, the Edge 40 Neo doesn't do wireless charging does it? I think you have to go full fat Edge for that (which costs more)?

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Always good to register multiple digits on both hands.
    Couldn't understand why there were more registered on my iPad (not an Apple person, had to get something that my drone connected to consistently) than I recalled...darling daughter has added one of hers :confused:

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

It does not, to the best of my knowledge.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I tend to register two fingers from each hand, twice each.

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I register one thumb ay an angle only I know so its hard for people to try to do it :p

Otherwise interesting phone! Just shows how cheap screens, RAM and storage are now! There's a reason Microsoft just overtook Apple as most valuable company, phone are stagnating!

And the eco stuff is really silly, go to all that to reduce plastic packaging and then do vegan leather which is just plastic!

Comparing it to my Galaxy S10+ (2019) the only stand out differences are Lower quality glass (watch out for dropping it!), lower resolution, it has a larger battery, performance is more or less the same, POLED and AMOLED is apparently the same now. The weirdest one is it only has USB 2.0!!! Thats why it took so long to transfer! Its always weird seeing phones with USB 2.0 as all my Galaxy phones for over the last decade have beel 3.0 or higher! It'd be interesting to compare the actual user experience between mine and that as in benchamrks they're the same, but we know thats rarely the truth!

9. Gareth Halfacree

I mean, it's better than having plastic packaging *and* vegan leather, I guess.
    Same glass as the Nokia 7.2, and I only broke that a *little* bit. (Didn't even drop it - it was in my trouser pocket during a scramble up some rocks in the Lakes, and I think I bent my leg just far enough to snap the corner of the screen. I'll pop it in the rucksack next time!)
    Yeah, that's a definite cut corner there. Though that said, I can't remember the last time I connected my phone to the PC for anything other than emergency tethering. Though that was back when I could pop the microSD out, of course - can't do that 'ere!

IanW and Bloody_Pete like this.
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its so odd, as I've design USB Type C impliementations, the data is easy, the power is the hard bit and it has that! Its probably the CPU doesn't physically have a USB 3.0+ interface, just another one of thosae things where it'd only add like a tenner to the RRP, but it then ruins the marketing of a sub £250 phone! I'll be interested to know how long the battery lasts as the lowe resoltion screen and bigger capacity should make it last ages! GSM Arena is saying 80 hours standby and 10.5 hours active, which is bonkers!!!

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm reading this on my 7.2 thinking I should get another although I don't need one.

No 3.5 jack would mean buying some buds though. Which I don't need.

I may be posting in the purchases thread in the next few months....

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah I’ll be honest, that stuff still seems like straight up witchcraft to me. Rumour I heard years ago was that Apple couldn’t get that working well, which is why they went with facial scanning.

I do really like FaceID, it feels a lot more natural and convenient than TouchID (pick up phone, look at screen, instant unlock no matter where I poke my grubby digits), but scanning a fingerprint through the screen… that’s some damn cool technology.

That’s something I think a lot of people (and I’m not necessarily talking about “bit-tech people” here) take for granted: the amount of really cool techno-wizardry packed into the little slab of glass & plastic/metal in everyone’s pocket. Even a relatively cheap phone these days has: a high-resolution multitouch display, a biometric fingerprint scanner, a radio system capable of high-speed data transmission, a battery that often lasts most of a day, real-time voice and video communication across the entire planet, compute power that would have once filled a room... Hell, my current phone (which was admittedly not cheap) doesn't even need a cellular radio signal to make a call to emergency services, it can do that via satellite. Satellite calls from my goddamn phone, ffs! It really wasn't that long ago that satellite phones were great big briefcases!

This could just be the middle-aged "elder millenial who grew up with 8-bit micros" in me, but we use some pretty damn amazing technology on a daily basis.

Sorry, got a little side-tracked there :hehe:

From what I can see the SoC was (apparently) launched in Sept 2023, and it seems daft to me that such a recent design doesn’t have a USB3.x interface. As you say however, cost-cutting knows no bounts, and a few extra pennies in the BoM cost adds up to a surprising amount of extra cost for the customer. It could also be that the SoC does have a USB3.x interface and Motorola simply chose not to route that interface to the port because it would involve additional cost for engineering/design/PCB manufacture.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The crazy thing is, there was a underscreen camera concept at one point!!! Thats really bonkers!

And I've routed USB 3.0 stuff, its really not that complex :p

14. Gareth Halfacree

Stayed up later than I should watching some Crunchyroll on the thing. Screen is lovely, definitely an upgrade. Things load faster, everything's more responsive. Biggest improvement is Dolby Atmos: it's making my Sony in-ear XM3s sound way better. They've always been anemic unless I enable the equaliser, but if I do it drains their battery in no time (for some reason.) Dolby's doing it all on-phone, so I get more bass and crisper trebles while keeping the battery ticking over. Happy days!

IanW likes this.
  15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The Apple Type C to 3.5mm dongle is £10 and excellent, just saying.

adidan likes this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

My god I didn't event think of an adapter. :lol:

I'll blame that on the remnants of my lurgy bug still messing with my brain.

IanW likes this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

First actual failing so far: the Motorola Edge Light... doesn't.

So, this thing has a display that curves at the edges. For some reason that I'm sure is nothing to do with being a gimmick. In order to save 2¢ on the BOM, it doesn't have a notification LED; instead, it lights up the curved edges of the display in what Motorola calls "Edge Light."

Except... it doesn't.

I've tried turning the setting off and back on again, changing the colours, everything: no lights at the edge. No idea why.

18. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Does it have a screen protector on? The wife has a phone with a curved screen and for some reason the "3d" screen protectors have a black stripe around the edge. Could block any edge lights.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Nope, and I'm using the case it came with - which leaves the screen edge exposed. Absolutely no light visible anywhere, from the side or the front.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Under screen camera is used in my Fold 4 on the folding screen, its pretty good, not perfect though it has a slight change in pixel arrangement and colour, so if you look hard enough you can see it, still far better than a cutout of the screen, its video quality is surprising good really, not upto the level of most high end front cameras but could probably battle it out with most mid rangers of the time.

I'd imagine usb 3.0 is all about what needs to be licensed and other features it supports, Samsung do it to give display port and full docking functionality, those features don't come for free.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2024