1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Motorola Edge 40 Neo Mini-Review

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Jan 2024.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just had my first phone call on the thing, and the edge lights (which are literally just a pattern at the screen edges) worked that time. Might just be some notifications that it's not working for, then. More data required!

One other strange thing: when I'm in the main house, the Wi-Fi connects over Wi-Fi 6 - complete with a little "6" in the tray icon. In the office, it's Wi-Fi 5. I use mesh networky things, and the two devices should be identical - and they should both be offering Wi-Fi 6 to connected devices.

Not sure what's going on there, but it feels like it's probably more an Asus problem than a Motorola problem.

2. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Karate Chop for the torch?
    Three fingers held on screen for a screenshot, find this handy

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup! Twisty-wristy for the camera, too.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Dolby Atmos even available on my low end G53

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Sadly, notification LEDs seem to have joined microSD slots and headphone jacks in going the way of the dodo. Super annoying.

I miss the addressable RGB notification LED on my Wileyfox Swift 2 back in the day, mainly because you could configure it for different types of notification: if you wanted a slow-blinking green LED for a missed call, or a solid orange LED for a WhatsApp message, or a rapidly-alternating blue and red LED for a text, you could knock yourself out.

6. Gareth Halfacree

My first Android phone was the Motorola Milestone, which - if I remember right - had the same feature. It also had a slide-out keyboard, which was ace.

It *also* had a bug whereby the autofocus in the camera would work fine for 30 days, then a counter rolled over and it'd stop working for another 30 days. Forever. That was not ace.

Just looked up the specs: 3.7" 480x854 display, 256MB of RAM, 600MHz Arm Cortex-A8 CPU and PowerVR SGX530 GPU, a bundled 8GB microSD, and a five-megapixel camera capable of VGA video at 24 frames per second. Android 2.1, upgradeable to Android 2.2 - which still didn't fix the camera.

But d'you know what it has in common with my shiny new Motorola Edge 40 Neo? It had USB 2.0 as well. The more times change, the more they stay the same!

7. Gareth Halfacree

Quick camera test before I crack on with paid work. I won't put the full-res photos 'ere, 'cos massive, but a little look at 'em resized plus a 1:1 crop along with my thoughts. All settings at default, auto-HDR enabled, but the "AI enhancement" feature switched off.

Main camera:

maincamera.jpg maincamera-crop.jpg

A little cold, a little dark, nothing that can't be solved in post. The 1:1 crop's a little soft, but c'mon, this is a camera on a £250 smartphone with a lens the size of my fingernail. Scaled to half resolution, which'd still be 2k, and with a little artificial sharpening, it'd be fine.

Main camera, "2" zoom setting:

zoom.jpg zoom-crop.jpg

Ugh. Yeah, maybe don't use that setting - take it at standard and crop the result yourself, it'll look better.

Ultra-wide:

wide.jpg wide-crop.jpg

Interesting change in colour temperature, here. The result is very soft, sadly, but you could get something halfway usable if you fiddled in post.

Weirdly, the ultra-wide lens can also be used as a macro lens:

macro.jpg macro-crop.jpg

...and it's really rather good at it. Yeah, I was surprised too. Reckon I'll be using it as a macro a lot more than I'm using it as a wide-angle!

No samples from the selfie camera, I'll spare you that pain. I did take a night-time shot last night:

night.jpg night-crop.jpg

Handheld, didn't brace against anything. Actually quite impressed with that!

(And yes, I do know the fence is falling over. It's on the to-do list!)

8. Gareth Halfacree

Imagepipe_30.jpg

Six and three quarters hours screen on time, 19% still in the tank - and that includes a chunk of video streaming with Bluetooth headphones attached and a five-gig sync in the Remarkable app.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I suspect the demolition of the fence, may be completed tomorrow night...

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks for the continued update Gareth. It's looking fairly promising...

Hope your fence is OK, especially if you're in the amber wind zone.
    Likewise, hope my old roofs at work are OK with the wind gusts in the yellow zone on the south coast...

11. Gareth Halfacree

Hopefully not, and hopefully - in that order!

Haven't used it quite as heavily today - mostly just reading an ebook I've borrowed from the library, no video or Bluetooth shenanigans. 41% remaining, after nearly six hours' screen time.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Bought a second one for the missus, whose old Motorola was EOL - though not as badly as my Nokia. Oh, and it's now a tenner less than when I bought mine!

Tell you something, though: the display is supposedly HDR10, but Netflix says it can find no HDR support. That might be 'cos I'm on the middling 1080p tier, though.

EDIT: Yeah, it's a Netflix thing: a test app says HDR10, HLG, HDR10+ supported.

Arboreal likes this.
  13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Isn't netflix known for ****ery regarding 4k and/or HDR?

Pretty sure Netflix works on a 'only if you're worthy' basis rather than 'only if you can support it'.

Their support page lists 'supported devices' and Motorola and HMD/Nokia aren't listed. At all. Neither is my S23 FE nor Google's Pixel 7 and 8 lines. So it would surprise me none if HDR only works on phones that are on that list, regardless of if they support HDR or not.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Still happy with my purchase. Haven't had the guts to test out the IP68 rating, though!

adidan and Arboreal like this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Oh! And it turns out the lack of Wi-Fi 6 in the office was an Asus problem: since last night's power cut, which I'm assuming rebooted the mesh node (I should really hook that into the UPS), the phone now connects to the office as Wi-Fi 6 just fine. Weird.

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Well, "optimised charging" is a bust.

Screenshot_20240203-101857.png

I plug it in when I go to bed, ±1 hour every night, and unplug it when I wake up, ±1 hour every morning. How long does it take to learn that pattern‽

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Pay peanuts...

18. Gareth Halfacree

I mean, none of my other phones even offered the option. Not even the flagship ones.

I'm not sure I have to worry about battery longevity, anyway, given it's going to drop out of software support in a couple of years!

EDIT:
    Speaking of flagships, imagine how annoyed I'd be if I'd plumped for a Pixel 8 Pro and Google had bricked it with a bad update. At least the Motorola *works*!

Last edited: 3 Feb 2024
  19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I know right! Loads of people still champion them at work, and it just seems like insanity to basically trust any physical Google product at this stage!!!

20. Gareth Halfacree

Not even just the physical ones - oh, Google Reader, you are sorely missed.

Bloody_Pete likes this.