1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move to Europe to avoid the US and its crap

Discussion in 'Serious' started by null_x86, 19 Sep 2009.

1. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

oh......oh...snap!

2. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

i think its great your looking at such things, i think its awesome your willing to explore another part of the world to better your life.

BUT, as said previously, dont limit yourself to english speaking countries, be a little brave, try something completely new, so many amazing things could just pop up along the way.

Btw the months i spent in Vancouver, BC were amazing. lovely city.

3. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Thanks, I would totally go for something pretty left field like Japan or Hungary, but I dont know how to speak anything, and dont know squat about the cultures. Once I learn a little about them, then I'd be willing to go. I think Canada is a good option to start with because its English and French.. Personally I am looking at Vancouver BC right now, but nothing is even close to being set in stone.

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Might be worth going to college somewhere in a different country and working your way through it, to get a taste of the culture and stuff, assuming you intend to go to college of course.

5. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Already in college for Computer Engineering, switching to somewhere else mid-semester would be hard. I might switch after I get one degree though, maybe try learning abroad, see how that works.

6. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

moving to canada isn't really getting the experience 'of a different culture'. It's a slight cop-out because you've never really left home and when it gets to tough for you, you just drive across the border.

Really, you need to cross the pond. Or go to Alaska - I hear they speak Palin there and worship some word animals up there

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Alaska is part of the U.S.

8. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

lol. Canada isnt part of the US, and there is a bit of difference in culture, so I think for someone like me has been, Canada would be a big step, something non-English like Germany, Japan or something else, would be too much of a leap... take things slow and go from there... thats how i like to do things...

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

10. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

wow - little slow on the [irony] [/irony] eh boys? I won't go further and explain the other jokes since even the first one went over your heads . . .

11. caznsomerset

caznsomerset What's a Dremel?

Move to the UK and avoid the US crap.

Well i am american and i moved to the UK 5 years ago.

Healthcare....cant beat it!
    People as a whole are friendly. You cant just pop over and become a citizen trust me that this I do know. lol I had to answer 172 questions...have biometric scans done (free) and pay the total of $1300 to the British Consulate in Los Angeles.

things you need to consider and get used to... and I never will
    COUNCIL TAX
    TV LICENSE
    rhere is no escape on either

VOLTAGE 110 in the US v UK voltage.

I dont agree with hunting no matter what country it is.
    and I dont agree with guns no matter what country it is.

This is my first post so you lovely people can kick me out now lol but having my say.

This government is just about like any other government. If its a politician....run for your life.
    The country makes no difference.

On the plus side...
    summers are much cooler (provided there is one lol)
    Less traffic in the villages.
    Lovely scenery that you will not find anywhere else
    and homegrown veg and fruit instead of waxy apples on display at the market.

its a good life in the UK irregardless of the pitfalls.
    I love it here.

thanks for letting me post.
    Regards
    Caz

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Is it just me or does it seem like more people are trying to get out these days? I'm going to take credit for starting the trend, even though doing so is completely ridiculous :p

Canada is pretty much "US Light", there are differences, but they feel pretty much the same. I live about an hour from the Greater Vancouver Urban Sprawl and when i go up there, aside from the signs in metric, it feels pretty much the same.

One final thought...

In the EU you don't need a passport to travel between countries, and the US is building a wall to keep out people who want to come here and work. Where would you rather live?

13. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Well, thats obvious where I would want to go then :p

14. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

You ignore the fact that the EU is turning away people and returning some stopped at the beaches and in boats. You are ignoring the fact that while Greece made it into the EU, Turkey still hasn't received the warm welcome it deserves, despite having a very similar economy.

So, while Europe has absorbed more refugees the the US has over the same time period, it is at the point of closing it's doors. And attitudes towards immigrants are hardly warm and fuzzy. That would be a more similar situation. The internal travel of the EU would be closer to the way we travel between states.

As SitraAchra says, what you are comparing isn't apples and apples.