1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI ECOlution: powering fans without electricity

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Feb 2008.

1. zero0ne

zero0ne Member

one question / observation:

Would this mean that when the fan gets "turned" on, that it is also helping to cool the north bridge, since its converting heat energy into mechanical energy?

If so I guess the whole 60C thing wouldn't matter that much, as the fact that the fan is turning on is also greatly helping to cool the NB.

2. johnmustrule

johnmustrule New Member

A step backwards to move a step forwards, seriously trippy! Next advancement will bicycle pedaled mechanical processors, can anyone say Alan Turing!

3. dslickness

dslickness New Member

This is a really sweet concept for cooling. Maybe they can heat pipe all the mofits and north bridge chips together to create heat faster. And to cool it down together. But it is really worth it?

I wonder how much that costs. Plus if you want to save power, we're better off getting more efficient PSUs, CPUs, etc.

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

okay so ya I want one lol

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Seriously cool! (no pun intended)

Regardless of whether or not it's practical, they get some credit for this!

6. Copiedright

Copiedright New Member

Is this then passive cooling?

Well, its not active because there is no additional power going to it.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, it is active because there is air actively being pushed through the fins when the fan is working, as opposed to a passive one which relies on convection.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's pretty awesome, but I can see it being awful at actually cooling.

9. ccsharry

ccsharry New Member

funky!! great item for gadgets... i suspect it's too expensive to be an alternative of the electric fan tho...

10. mWMA

mWMA New Member

Actually technically you would consider it passive and active. As it is passive when there is not too much heat being created by chipset to run the thermal piston but is active when there is plenty of heat (60C or higher) causing the the fan to run due to thermal piston movement and keep the temperature down.

This is perfect for HTC setup where 60C is good enough heat level and can allow one to maintain that without much noise.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sigh, yes, true.

Semi-active - because it does include a fan :p

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Niche maket. Uses less power than a powered fan chipset, but cools worse than a powered fan chipset.

As above, I can see this being useful for HTPC's or mabey some mATX boards.

13. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Nice idea but it's still a fan.

It's application is still only going to be limited to certain chipsets. The P35 and X38 are very efficient and in many cases only reach 50c even running substantial overclocks. On those chipsets a passive cooler is more than sufficient and cheaper, this cooler is inevitably going to push up the price.

Again it's a nice idea but I think it's arrival is a little late, passive cooling has come on leaps and bounds and water cooling really is mainstream today. Anyone concerned with cooling will take another route.

14. Supra55

Supra55 New Member

If this system worked and it was in a nice package, I could not only use it to cool my computer, but my room as well, imagine hooking a giant fan that runs like this up to a passive case (Zalman TNN300 comes to mind), you could cool your room with this as well as one day possibly cooling server racks this way.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Watercooling is a long way from mainstream, it is much more popular than it used to but still not mainstream.

I can see this being useful for HTCPs as others have said, you can keep your PC passively cooled and if it gets too hot the fan will kick in to keep the temps down. Depends a lot on how noisy it is though. The only thing I can see this being used for is an eco friendly PC, but fans don't take up that much of the power consumed by a PC do they?

16. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

"The cycle pushes a cylinder up and down which is then translated into moving the blades of a fan – the whole unit is autonomous and self contained. It’s also self regulating because the hotter the chipset gets, the faster than works to cool it."

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Wonder how the noise level on this thing is.

And I guess heat pipes is a better solution. You will always need fans anyway.

I was looking at that one myself yesterday. I thought it was just my lack of English skills... :blush:

18. xion

xion New Member

I may be shooting above my weight here... but "70% efficient"??? sounds a tad like marketingology to me...
    Stirling-esque engines used in power generation and such are of the most efficient to date and still only achieve 40-60% afaik...

Perhaps its 70% efficient at powering the mechanism, thather than cooling... or its really 7% and someone thought it was a typo in the draft and changed it without consulting the engineers...

Either way, its a nifty ikkle gimmick, and a triumph of form over function, how much does power a chipset fan use anyway, it's got to be insignificant compared to the hardware :p

anyhoo... looks like steampunk's in this year!

19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Indeed. I suspect the steampunk themes will be displaying this Sterling proudly.

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sorry, not interested...
    I will continue to use my hamster wheel powered fans, thank you.

Tags: Add Tags