1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling My Athlon64 Waterblock!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ferrari, 6 Oct 2003.

1. Ferrari

Ferrari What's a Dremel?

I have been working on a waterblock for the new Athlon 64 CPU for the past mounth. Though you guys would like to check it out!

The first one i made didnt have all the curves right but it was a start.
    [​IMG]

Thats a quarter next to it for all the euro peeps.

Here is a pix of the next one i made that has the corrected bends and holes for the barbs!

[​IMG]

more pix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The block was designed to be used with 250 GPH pumps. The cooling mainly takes place in the center of the block where the dimples are located.
    This is the FIRST place where these picures have been made public!

Last edited: 14 Feb 2004
  2. Brennan

Brennan What's a Dremel?

Nice...where can I buy it?

3. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Looks pretty nice. We want benchmarks when you get an Athlon 64 system up :)

4. Ferrari

Ferrari What's a Dremel?

Brennan you can order the block at www.r0x0rblock.com I have been trying to get a athlon 64 system for a while now but the limmited quantity is killing me. Hopefully bit-tech will review the block when they get proper hardware. I did do some tests with of all things a blow torch! It seems to work amazingly well because the block was cool to the touch even after i cranked up the flame. Maby ill do it again and post some pix.

5. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

That looks great, very simple and clean

6. Shwang

Shwang What's a Dremel?

Cool. Not the first hammer block I've seen, but neato. Looks good.

Thats alu right? Why did you go with that for the die/block interface. I could see why for the rest of the block because aluminium will dissipate heat faster, but the downside is it won't transfer the heat ass well as copper. Just curious.

#rotor

First hammer block I've seen. Also on your site, it appears that you've photochopped the banner image, giving it a copper look, or do you have a copper variant?

7. Ferrari

Ferrari What's a Dremel?

I made this block because I felt there was a hole in the cooling market. This block was designed to be the best cooler for the athlon 64 processor period. I wasn’t aware of the other A64 blocks but it seems they are being produced in very small quantities. The materials for this block were chosen because of there thermal properties. Cu does transfer heat better then Al but Al dissipates heat faster then Cu. Cu may seem like the better material at first but when the thickness of material decreases thermal dissipation not transfer becomes more important. The dimples in the bottom plate are designed to bring the water as close to the CPU as possible. Because of this Al was chosen to be the sole material for the block. After official testing the bottom plate may be revised to be made out of Cu. Remember the heat will only be transferred as fast as the worst heat conductor and isn’t the heat spreader on the A64 made out of Al? This block was designed to be the best waterblock solution money can buy and if a Cu base will make it perform better the designs will be revised. I hope to post some more pictures of the block tomorrow (Monday).

8. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Sry, to inform ya, but:
    The heat spreader on a Athlon 64 and Opteron is copper.
    It is zinc coated in order to prevent corrosion.

If you have one you can try scratching one of the edges to show the copper.

9. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

Any idea when we can expect some numbers?

10. ModCanada

ModCanada What's a Dremel?

lol i thought you were bull****ting then i clicked the link and it is acctually a site. Good job and very nice waterblock.

11. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

First I gotta say its a cool looking block, now down to business :)

While there are not many A64 blocks out there yet, if you look hard enough you'll find them :)

Thats a tall order, good luck with that :thumb:

We must debunk this myth, this statement has been passed around the net for quite some time. This is simply not true.

Copper is the better material (when compared with aluminum). So in this scenario copper should be used as the baseplate.

This is a good design and should be explored more on your end.

Didn't you just say aluminum was the better material to use? Good to see your going the cu route for many reasons (one being galvanic corrosion, but we'll get into that later)

I hope your not implying that copper is a worse conductor of heat...

I think a combination of copper and tweaked WB design will make it perform better :) Good luck, doing some good work so far.. If you would like to read more on the subject go here

12. Carbon

Carbon Banned

woah, thats the best produced waterblock ive seen, nice design and great finish to the surface.

:thumb:

13. Slink

Slink B7

Didnt know if I was alowed to post in this thread :rolleyes: but I am anyway

Looks great dude :) :thumb:

14. penski

penski BodMod

Moving to Extreme Cooling. ;)

*n

15. Ferrari

Ferrari What's a Dremel?

Wow we were moved around allot over the past few hours. This is prabably the correct thread anyway.
    Ok time for an update! I took some more pix at different angles with the barbs and springs in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the info on the Cu heat spreader Zap nice to know! One of the main reasons I created this thread was to see what the cooling community wanted thanks for all your input! As of a date when you can see some #'s im not sure... As soon as bit-tech gives me the go ahead to mail them one you’ll see a professional review. In the mean time I might jury rig one onto my 1.4 t-bird.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2004
  16. RaptorLord

RaptorLord What's a Dremel?

Nice looking product! I do have to ask though :

what's with the 3 holes? 1 Input, 2 output or vice-versa?

17. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

No, no, no, no.

Aluminium will radiate heat better than copper, but this plays an insignificant role in water blocks. Most, (I won't make the mistake of saying 99.9%) of the heat is transferred from the block to the water via convection.

The same is true of heatsinks. The only reasons you see aluminium heatsinks/radiators etc are because they are cheaper and lighter. Radiation simply doesn't come into it unless you're cooling things in space, where ALL of the heat must be lost through radiation AND the cooling solution needs to be lightweight.

8-ball

EDIT: Nice Block though :thumb:

Last edited: 7 Oct 2003
  18. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

Nice :lol:

19. Ferrari

Ferrari What's a Dremel?

The center hole is input, so the fresh water is brought right over the cpu and into the dimples. The other two holes are output for the water to flow back through your sytem...

20. Ferrari

Ferrari What's a Dremel?

RIGHT NOW!!! Ok these are really unofficial, I don’t have a radiator so I used allot of water. The test rig consists of an FIC AD11 motherboard, AMD T-Bird 1.4ghz and a Danner Pond-Master Mag-Drive 250 (250GPH) pump. And of course the R0X0R Block! Since the mounting system for the T-bird is completely different then the A64 which the block was designed for I had to zip tie it down. This created horrible contact between the R0X0R Block and the CPU but it’s a start. After running seti@home for an hour the temps read as follows:
    Water: 22c
    CPU: 30c
    Over the hour the CPU temp varied from 25-30c and the water from 18-22c. As the system ran the water temp rose... it seems the R0X0R Block keeps the CPU within 10-15c of the water temp. All this with an Al base.

Tags: