1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks My local exchange is finally getting Fibre Optic Internet!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BloodlessDawn, 19 Jun 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Local Loop Unbundling.

Basically allows ISP to run their own network and hardware in exchanges, but use BT Openreach's wiring to the house.

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Hell will have frozen over before BT pull their finger out and upgrade my exchange (fairford) to anything but ADSL1.
    What really annoys me is that the next town down from us (Highworth) is getting fibre next year. F*****s.

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I sympathise. I get 4mb which I know is good for a rural location. I lived on the other side of the hill I would be getting fiber by the end of the year. I think by 2020 we should have fiber according to what I've read.

4. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

2020? Bugg*r that! I'll have to put my foot down and tell the wife we have to move to a cabled area so I can take advantage of my staff discount.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

There is a chance it will be sooner down here, there is a devon and somerset faster broadband scheme that are aiming to get faster than 24mb to 85% by 2015 and to 100% by 2020. Which hopefully means that I get faster ADSL within 3.5 years not 8.5 years.

Like I said I still consider myself relatively lucky to get around 4.5mb though

6. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

If you can estimate your distance from house to cabinet:

[​IMG]

I don't think the DSL Checker can be trusted. My exchange is getting FTTC on 30th this month but none of the numbers I look up from Google Maps say if it can get FTTC, even from businesses directly and around the centre of town where the exchange is situated. Plus it estimates my line speed incorrectly, 18Mbps at 4km - hah.

I can see two cabinets from the bedroom window on my road, one I didn't see until last week, so I can only keep fingers crossed and hope that is the "FTTC twin" cabinet.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I noticed the other day that, unless someone has a really strange tag, there on the pavement near another cabinet was a painted yellow oblong with a number 2 in it. Not a number 2 as in, someone had taken a sheer dislike to the yellow oblong and left what 'they thought of it', but a '2'.

The date set for Bourne is either 1/9/12 or 30/9/12 depending where I look.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

end of 2013, i've seen from Openreach, future exchange maps

9. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Sad time phone line has crackling on and can't hear people and my speed is now 20mbps down and 1mbps up.

:/ :/ this is why I took 2 days off work. I knew this would happen :)

There working on it so all good.