1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Network Software Distribution

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by KID52, 28 Apr 2013.

1. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

I'm basically looking for some advice with regards to the best way in which to go about achieving the following network setup.

I wish to have a single Windows Server machine, running a domain and storing all user settings and files, eg everything they save to their desktop, so if they were to login to a different machine, they still have those files on their desktop. Meaning to a user, they would never be able to tell which physical computer they were using. I can probably find out how to do this on the internet, but any pointers would be appreciated, however this is the not the main problem I wish to solve.

My biggest problem is the software. I want to make it so every machine is identical in terms of software (by that I mean programs such as office, Chrome, antivirus etc as the hardware is not identical), I want to be able to force updates to be installed, for both Windows, and any other programs like Java. I have tried using GPO, but really, it was extremely confusing, and half the time I couldn't get the policies to install the software I want (compatibility is an issue, for example a generic label machine software does not seem to be compatible with GPO), and it appears I am not alone in this. Or even if I have some sort of virtual "master" where I can do what I want, and then all of the changes are mirrored to the other PCs. I know that GPO and mirrors are completely different that don't try to solve the same problem, but I just want to end up with the easiest method to effectively make multiple maintained clones regardless of the hardware. However, I cannot seem to find a solution.

So, what is the best way to go about doing this? Or perhaps the "best" way is not ideal, maybe the "easiest" way. I do not mind spending a bit of money if I need a piece of software that can help me to handle this, but I don't want to spend thousands.

In terms of PC numbers we are talking 10 - 20.

So, after finding a solution (I hope), I would like the following to happen:

Scenario 1: A PC has not be turned on for a month, since then changes to the "master" have been made such as old Office version removed, and new version installed. These changes should be applied to the PC on boot/login, whenever as long as the changes are made before the user can actually use the PC.

Scenario 2: A new PC is purchased and added to the domain, all software from the "master" needs to be automatically installed on the PC.

I do not mind first installing Windows on a PC and installing specific drivers, then connecting it to the domain and the software installs automatically. As I assume if I had identical PCs I would only need to do this once and create an image to put on all the rest. The thing I really want to sort out is how to then maintain these PCs in terms of software.

I know this is quite a lot of information and knowledge to ask for, but I would appreciate any help that can be given.

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Not sure about most of the stuff in the post, but I think I can help you here.

1. If you could get this kind of setup running, it would probably be a good idea to turn it on more than once a month, only if its just to update stuff. Otherwise you could be sat there for 30mins waiting for it too login.

2. Maybe the easiest way to do this would be to make a clone of the master pc and just use that on the new PC.

If this kind of thing doesn't exist for your price point, and because its only ~20 PCs, you could just remote into them and update/install from one pc.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

There are some free solution for this like wpkg, might be worth a test out. Though you are certainly right about paid packaging and distribution server being out of range as it is generally target to really large enterprise with hundreds of machines.

4. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

You can use Small Business Server I think. You can use that as a WUS (Windows Update Server) and have it dish out Windows updates (and Office updates) to your other computers, as well as to use it to install OS's on your client machines. You just create an iso of a pre-configured Windows system and place it on the Server, and you install the OS from there, so it will be the same for all machines. Then you just allow each machine to auto update their 3rd party software and you should have identical machines. SBS should work as a domain controller as long as your network is not to large.

This should not be to difficult, and probably the easiest way to do what you have in mind.

If you need some more help setting things up I have the SBS book around here somewhere, I could look up some details for you.

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

I'm quite tired at the moment so will re-visit this more when awake but...

To solve the roaming user profile issue, you want to use "Folder Redirection" (It's a group policy setting See here for MSDN

For making sure all the machines are nice and patched you'll want to use WSUS more MSDN goodness

For making sure all applications are in line with each other - I'd highly recommend you use AppV when you can App V on MSDN as it allows you to maintain a single central version of software and then push it virtually to all machines (If you know what CITRIX is think that, but better). Doing a full office uninstall/reinstall at boot up to a machine that's been offline for a while will really bother the user.

There are other technologies from Microsoft that you may want to look at too. SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) and SCOM (System Center Operations Manager) - both are good for managing certain aspects of your network.

For managing installs of new machines you'd want to look at Windows Deployment Services (WDS) and sysprep to build and deploy the images.

There's really no reason to go outside of the MS provided tools either - 3rd party tools usually do a far worse job than those of MS themselves.

6. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

To add to the above, the only 3rd party tool I would think to add is ninite (http://www.ninite.com) for updating non microsoft software, it is easy and works with Active directory extremely well.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

this^^^

8. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

but SBS is horrible

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the only horrible thing I find on sbs2011 is SharePoint is a pain every time you do updates, you have to do more work, like using powershell to type commands to update the database

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

As mentioned, Roaming Profiles and Folder redirection will sort user data and settings.

GPO software installation will only work with MSI, but a lot of software still uses third party exe installers which is whats causing you issues. They would need repackaging into MSI. Free software is available to do this (http://www.flexerasoftware.com/promolanding/7698.htm) This is the best solution as it's easy to manage once everything has been done as you are then using Group Policy for everything.

The only freeware solution for software distribution I know of is WPKG, but cannot comment on what it's like to use as I only use/support SCCM where I work.

11. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

You can always try something like Snap Deploy from Acronis:

http://www.acronis.co.uk/enterprise/products/snapdeploy/

You can update one image and then deploy it to all the machines on the network.

As long as you have the folder redirection working then it could be a viable solution

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Just to set the cat amongst the pigeons, why not connect to a virtual desktop?

13. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Thats what I said in my post, but it probably wouldn't scale well with more PCs, and it looks like a lot less effort in the long term than most of the solutions mentioned.

14. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

Thanks for all the responses - didn't expect quite so many so quickly! I've had a brief read and there seems to be lots of really good suggestions, but it will take me a while to go through them and respond.