1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Neverwinter

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by docodine, 12 May 2013.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

anyone here playing neverwinter?

it's my first ever MMO and i'm enjoying it quite a bit

playing a cleric on the dragon server, level 26

http://nw.perfectworld.com/

2. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

Been playing it for a week and LOVING it. Complete breath of fresh air. For me it's the perfect mix between WOW and GW2. It keeps the traditional elements of an mmo such as class roles (Dps/Tank/Heals) but has a much better and more interactive combat system. My main is a cleric heals and it is just stupid fun (and normally I HATE heals:) And the best part is...this game is completely free. It's the best F2PMMO I've ever played.

I can also say this....it is NOT P2W. Anyone who says that is full of s#!t. It's pay for convenience and I'm okay with that.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

[​IMG]

You've piqued my interest. Now to download it for the next ninety hours...

4. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I tried out the beta, and have tried it a little bit since release, I have a few issues with it:

They fixed the hilarious social tab bug, used to be when you used your social tab outfit, it didn't include your weapon model, but would still use the animations, so as a great fighter, it looked like you were using a combination of the force and double-fist punching people, and was hilarious.

Balance in PvP is pretty horrible, from what I've experienced it's control wizards and rogues utterly dominating.

Voice acting is still...not great.

I'm not sure about the crafting yet, as I haven't really had a chance to dig into it, as it wasn't in the beta (despite having all the materials drop, and uncompletable quests explaining it)

Having said that, I do really like the helper/companion system, much better than the one in swtor.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

As it is free to play, how 'naggy' is it about getting you to spend real money on shiny baubles? Not sure I have time for an MMO at this stage of my life but I'll check it out as I have a soft spot for D&D!

6. boiled_elephant

I just medically need an MMO in my life, since WoW lost all appeal last year. Can't get back into it, but after the sheer scope and depth of WoW, everything else I play feels shallow and trivial.

Time to replace like for like. But holy balls, this download is killing me...I need fiber internet.

7. Dannyman191

Dannyman191 What's a Dremel?

Loving it, i feel like it's a mix between WoW, GW2 and Diablo, for a F2P game, it's defiantly worth anyone's time if they like a good MMORPG.

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I played a little bit so far but it's still too "MMO" for me. Nothing will fill the City of Heroes sized hole in my heart.

Sent from Bittech Android app

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

kripp sums up the pay-to-win-ness of the game better than i can

boiled_elephant likes this.
  10. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that one docodine, the video is a rather nice take on the game and the official forum topics regarding the matter are "big badda boom"! :eek: Yes, if you're that competitive it looks like a definite pay to win scenario.

"The Foundry" offsets that just a touch as it's player generated content that varies from utterly naff to better scripted than the game. I've only dipped my toes in the water so far but it looks like a fairly certain source of continual content should the developers not deliver. As long as the servers stay up, of course.

However, with respect to the "pay to win" aspect I don't play PvP as a rule, should I go on a raid I simply do my best. If there's a requirement for certain kit before I'm allowed to join then my response is "Bye bye now!" I play the game, I have fun or I stop playing it. At the moment I'm having enough fun that I've paid for the cheap founder's option (£50) as I really want to see the game succeed, despite the rather dubious freemium model.

Neverwinter has a lot of promise, it's definitely less "press 1 then 2 then 3 then 4" than most and with the player generated content I can see myself going on it for a while.

11. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I've started playing and I have to say it's quite fun. Much better than LOTRO.

12. boiled_elephant

The combat is rather good. The writing is rather good. The skills/levelling interface was designed by Satan, but I can still navigate it more or less.

I don't like the player speed and twitchiness, personally, it feels a bit like the scout on TF2, zipping about at unnatural speeds. I always preferred games of a Bethesda/Gears of War persuasion where you lumber solidly around like you actually have mass. But it does make for fun combat, and I can imagine the PvP being great.

The whole concept of integrated, user-created, community-rated dungeons and adventures is complete genius, and I know I'll love it once my character's good enough to attempt it.

Also, I know it's not really a surprise to anyone, but the playerbase is awful. It's like Warcraft and Youtube had some Australia project and offloaded their worst into Neverwinter.

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Well if anyone wants to group I'm playing a level 36 Guardian Fighter on Beholder sever. It's starting to get a bit iffy with queues and people kicking for no apparent reason.

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yup, and when the Steam Forum admins saw this they offloaded a bunch of their users too! Scary stuff! I miss LOTRO, which before ftp was generally a great bunch of folk (except the gold sellers of course or the item sale spammers).

I tried to like this, but for some reason I couldn't. It's probably a more general MMORPG malaise to be fair to this game though!