1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New AM5 Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buzzons, 2 Dec 2023.

1. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Hey all,

Trying to figure out what my new main rig will look like - upgrading from an Intel X99 setup so it's long overdue!

I don't play that many games as this is mostly a video/photo editing workhorse so the graphics card is mostly just there as a filler - not really even sure what's good at the moment?! My current main graphics card is an RTX 2070 of some kind.

The motherboard was picked as it comes up as one of the better ones in this review but not really tied to it

There's one NVMe missing - which would be the boot drive - not sure what makes a good boot drive these days - the other two will be used for photo/video processing/scratch drives.

RAM Wise - I don't know if it's better to go 2x32 or 4x16? I routinely go over 32GB when dealing with large lightroom/photoshop days (currently exporting some images and am at 35.6GB!).

Case wise - I'd like to go back to custom watercooling (probably an EK set up) so not sure what case to get? Currently I'm using a bequiet something-or-other but the airflow isn't amazing due to the front being filled with sound absorption material!

upload_2023-12-2_23-24-51.png

Any thoughts and comments much appreciated!

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's a pretty sweet build.

Regards RAM, I'd go 2x32 since it leaves 2 more x32 as an option for the future. There is a small but measurable performance difference between 2 sticks and 4 sticks for AMD processors, but it's small.

The_Crapman, Buzzons and Arboreal like this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Buzzons likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yup, less of more. It works better and gives you room in the future.

IanW, Buzzons and Arboreal like this.
  5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

@IanW is there much benefit for PCIe Gen5 NVMe other than cost at the moment? The OS will really only be there to load lightroom/photoshop :) as none of the cache will (hopefully!) sit on it!

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'll let you know. As a Star Citizen player, I just grabbed the fastest SSD I could find for less than totally silly money.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Personally I'd got for a 2TB Gen 4 over a 1TB Gen 5, with everything getting so big these days capacity matters far more than speed! We did a load of testing on our systems at work and there's very few useecases where Gen 5 is actually useful!

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Am I reading that right, B650E motherboard for £400+ !? That just seems wrong.

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Indeed. It seems crazy right ? I don't really understand the am5 chipsets as it seems like the b650e has replaced the x670!

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

There's basically no different in features between the chipsets now, motherboard makers will make some differneces with ethernet speeds and such. ONe will have 3 M.2 slots and the other will have 4, I think thats the main difference.

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would not buy that GPU. Ventus are the absolute worst, with too many corners cut. Pay a bit more and get something that will last.

adidan likes this.
  12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh totally this. You can get a 4tb pcie4 for the price of a 1tb pcie5. 2 decent 2tb would be good
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb...me-ssd-7100mb-s-read-6800mb-s-write-1000k-120

£400 on a mobo is a bit mental. They're all pretty much of a muchness, just find one with all the Io you need, this MSI one saves £150, has 3x m.2, WiFi and 10 usb on the rear io.
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi...r5-sata3-pcie-40-4x-m2-25gbe-usb-32-gen2x2-at

IanW, modd1uk and adidan like this.
  13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Oo and it doesn't appear to have the rubbish setup where if you use some.of the nvme sockets your pcie lanes go super slow (other than one slot!)

That does seem like a solid option!

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Seems to be really similar to the Pro Arts we use at work, only lacking the second 10Gbe ethernet line!