1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning New concept (OSIDIAS), The CNC arrives!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by craigbru, 6 Feb 2009.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I can't believe you got one of those nasty Wintsch labs blocks. Aluminum in contact with copper is not a recipe for long-term success.

The Swiftech block has a better internal design and is aluminum free. Barring that, I can design you something if need be. I've got a pelt here to rig up to a new project... I can easily work on the design I have and modify it for you.

Other than that, it's gorgeous.

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Thanks Kayin!

The block has been good to me. I ran it for 1.5 years with some Feser 1 with no issues. Sure, it's less than ideal, but any galvanic corrosion was insignificant. However, I really don't recall why I got it over the Swiftech. Can the Swiftech fit a 437 watt peltier? If not, I think that was the reason.

I'd be curious to see what you have in mind. I was planning on running the pelt at 12v, as opposed to my previous 24v, but otherwise running as is. Swiftech has a new TEC block coming out soon, but I didn't like the thought of spending the much money again. I've even though of replacing the aluminum on the Wintcsh block with delrin or something similar. I'm not entirely sure yet. Whichever route I go, at least I'll have room in the case now.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2009
  3. craigbru

I just can't stop revising... I was looking at the newly added 70mm radiator, and I got to thinking... It's just not big enough. Granted it's plenty for the Pico, but what if I ditch the idea of watercooling it, and add another radiator to the main system? Well, with a few small revisions, I now have room for a X-Flow 240. Why the X-Flow? I'll need to relocate the G1/4 fittings, and this rad would allow the most workable solution. I won't be able to fit 120mm fans on the second radiator, but I'll make sure it does get some air. Details are to be worked out on that yet...

[​IMG]

4. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Now holy c**p craigbru :p What can't you fit in there ;) That last addition really makes use of the grill on top of the case...

5. craigbru

What can I say? It's all those years of playing Tetris...

6. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

That's packed in pretty tight there. Good job you're watercooling or that would be worse than those crappy school slimline workstations.

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Did someone say PC tetris?

[​IMG]

been a long night :sigh:

Looking awesome Craig :thumb:

Xtrafresh likes this.
  8. stuartwood89

9. craigbru

No doubt it's really packed. However, one thing that I learned from the Rogue, is that if you have fans with great static pressure, the air will find a way to move through the case. It should be the same principal here.

Lol!

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I did find that the Swifty block has a 437 watt TEC. Should do fine for your purposes. If you already have the TEC, it will accept a 437.

I'm considering a 437 myself, but I really think it's overkill for a 3800x2.

11. craigbru

Thanks Kayin, I'll check it out. Although I won't have the case finished for a while, I was hoping to test the setup before putting everything in the case. If it's not going to cool as it should, I'll have to do some revising.

12. craigbru

Here is what I'm planning on using for the case itself. You can't go wrong with carbon fiber, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the case will be formed out of a single piece of material, I'll be experimenting with some reverse molding and vacuum bagging techniques. It's either going to be the coolest thing ever, or a colossal failure. I can't wait!

13. stuartwood89

The idea of using a single piece of metal is fantastic. Means there are less points of weakness in the structure and it just looks cool.

14. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I think he is [now] going with a carbon fibre chassis. Not surprised, he seems like the type of guy that has to keep upping his game to be happy ;) Not to mention that he already has an 80lb bundle of love in Rogue - keep the weight down!

15. craigbru

Yes, the case will be all carbon fiber, with the exception of the cage which will be aluminum. I'm going to build a reverse mold. Meaning I'll be wrapping carbon fiber around the exterior of a mold, and then vacuum bagging. I think it would be unnecessarily complicated and time consuming to do a traditional mold in this instance. The end result should be pretty much the same, except I'll have to put a little more time into finishing the exterior to get a polished and flawless look.

Yes, the Rogue weighed over 80 pounds... However, at the rate I'm going here, this might be 70, carbon fiber or not!

16. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Any updates coming ? :)

17. craigbru

No updates yet, although I'm in the process of accumulating parts for the build. I just ordered an Aquaero VFD and Multiswitch LT from Aqua Computer.

18. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

I'm very interested in this, as I'm planning to do something similar at the moment. Will the CF structure just consist of one part, or will it be many parts around the aluminum cage? For the reverse molding, will you be using a negative or a positive form?

I'm looking forward to the beginning of this case, your ROGUE has already been a great inspiration for me and has really gotten me into cube cases, I love them now <3 :lol: Any rough plans when this will start?

19. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

jeez craig. hurry up and finish it! i wanna see it in the flesh!

20. craigbru

Thanks for the compliments mate!

The case will be a single piece of carbon fiber. The interior frame will be completely removable, and not support the CF in any way. The mold will be positive. I had considered a negative mold, but it's likely way more labor intensive than is practical.

The project keeps getting pushed back slightly, as I've still got to finish a smaller project (Hutch) first. I do have a nice list of parts that I've been accumulating, including a recent Aquaero VFD and Multiswitch purchase from Aqua Computer.

Lol, I'll get there man! Believe it or not, Dark~3nergy did such a great job on the render, a few people have thought the project was already completed. :D