1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam New low for Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by impar, 29 May 2009.

1. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

i do notice one thing most people seem to have missed a major plus with steam which is the ability to re-download the game to any amount of computers any amount of times yes you need to be logged into your account to play but it can be waiting on another system in case your main rig is down or someone else is using it.

My main example is when the kids are using your main computer to do home work, I have got all of my games on my second system and I can just go and log onto my account and play the games, or when I go to visit my parents (who live a good distance away) now although they do not have a gaming rig like mine (they usually have my old parts) it is enough to play some of the older game such as half life 1 so once again I can have my games on their system and just have to log onto my account to use them,

now without something like steam I would have to buy extra copies of these games to install on each system (if I was to do it legally ofc) now yes I know that some games have no DRM so those can be installed on other systems easily however most do have some form of DRM which does limit what you can do with it

and as someone has pointed out physical media brought in a shop can get damaged and usualy will do over the course of its life which could make it un-usable therefore requiring re-purchasing

all these things do have to be taken into account in the prices of digital distribution since you it might not just be one instance of bandwidth per purchase

2. impar

impar Minimodder

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Great Scott! Not fuel, electricity! Steam requires 1.21 Gigawatts for Steam Friends alone. I'm pretty sure Valve have a couple of Mr. Fusions kicking about for the rest of it.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

But let's also not forget the pressure from retailers who can refuse to stop stocking games if they are undercut by digital distribution, so force artificial inflation of prices on digital distribution mediums... Whether or not this is actually confirmed, it's not beyond the realms of speculation that this does go on.

5. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I never buy my games from Steam, far to expensive. The last three games that I bought, that are on steam would have cost me considerably more to buy from Steam.

L4D - Paid £18 from Amazon, £27 on steam
    The Path - £6.72 direct download for the publisher, £7.25 on steam (granted not much difference, but still more)
    Football Manager 2009 - £14.99 from Amazon, £29.99 from Steam.

Using Steam to buy just 3 games would have cost me an extra £ 24.53

I also have the games on disk, should I ever need to install them on a different system.

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

:rock:

7. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

*Sniff* I smell troll

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

No lol that r the smel of ur phenom 9950 buring out cos it suk roflmaao!!!!1

I try my best; that's a virtue, if you look at it from the correct angle.

As for steam...have you seen the US prices? I just noticed how ludicrously cheap some of them are. UT3 and Assassin's Creed: Director's Edition for $10 each? I paid about £20 a piece not long ago in gamestation :( Their leading titles may be extortionate, but once things drop out of the spotlight they get cheap fast.

Edit - lololol, I retract that sentiment, some of their prices just make no sense. L4D is $40. Way to effectively sell an imminently redundant game with a sequel in the works, Steam! :wallbash:

9. books

books What's a Dremel?

Do you guys check the prices of Play.com and Amazon?

I'm out of touch to be honest because I don't buy many games these days, but the last few times I did, they were about 20% cheaper at Play.com compared to my local HMV store.

10. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

This weekend Steam are selling both Penumbra games for £4.50 - that's £4.50 for two games! See, it's all about timing!

11. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

gota love the weekend deals. They are awesome you just have to wait.

12. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

And that's exactly what my friends and I have been doing since the price jacking begun on Steam, I wonder if it's against any rules to exploit the system like this :)

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

As long as they get their money one way or another, Valve probably don't care :lol:

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Prototype is now at discount price, only 49,99€.

15. impar

impar Minimodder

16. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Meh. Too bad. Would have been a chance to finally get hold of an English copy of both games. :/

40€ for Morrowind and Oblivion is just insane. You can get Morrowind for a fiver in the budget games bin and Oblivion probably isn't much more expensive. Wonder what Bethesda are hoping to achieve with this...

17. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Another win for steam.

Empire total war £14.99

now that is a bargain.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Dont you mean £21.10 (24,99€)?

And ETW original pricing was another low for Steam.
    The Special Forces Edition was 5€ cheaper at retail than the regular edition in Steam...

19. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Another pricing fail...
    Orange Box 14.99£ at game.co.uk, Orange box 16.99£ on steam.
    :wallbash:

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Nope £14.99 in the UK :)